Science Olympiad at Penn Invitational 2019

bromothymol
Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad at Penn Invitational 2019

Post by bromothymol »

dxu46 wrote:Honestly they should just create this super big crazy massive WWP High School that goes to nats and beats Troy...
but the rivalry is what motivates us to improve! :*)
Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

TheChiScientist wrote:The biggest surprise came from West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North B if they truly went in unstacked as rumors have it. If you take them and manually stack them you have a score of 173 which ties them with Mason and they both have 13 medals so when you look at 1st places West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North beats Mason! Thus they could have placed 2nd overall if stacked! :o
That's not how stacking works. Typically, manually stacking overestimates the performance of the team in question.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:The biggest surprise came from West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North B if they truly went in unstacked as rumors have it. If you take them and manually stack them you have a score of 173 which ties them with Mason and they both have 13 medals so when you look at 1st places West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North beats Mason! Thus they could have placed 2nd overall if stacked! :o
That's not how stacking works. Typically, manually stacking overestimates the performance of the team in question.
Just saying. Clearly not how it works but still the potential of a stacked WWP-N could be huge.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
I've thought about trying to develop a way to estimate a "true stacked" score that's a more accurate representation. I've considered just starting with the average of the stacked score and that school's best team score, but haven't actually done any real analysis of how that looks.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

WWP High School together would actually be quite interesting. Anyone care to stack north and south together? I don't know how but I'm very curious on whether or not they would beat Troy.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Name
State: NY

Post by Name »

MadCow2357 wrote:WWP High School together would actually be quite interesting. Anyone care to stack north and south together? I don't know how but I'm very curious on whether or not they would beat Troy.
Superstack WWPN A WWPN B WWPS A and WWPS B gives 113 so yes a superstack of the WWP would barely beat Troy.
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
TheChiScientist
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

Name wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:WWP High School together would actually be quite interesting. Anyone care to stack north and south together? I don't know how but I'm very curious on whether or not they would beat Troy.
Superstack WWPN A WWPN B WWPS A and WWPS B gives 113 so yes a superstack of the WWP would barely beat Troy.
You added your numbers wrong. :P A Super Super Stack of all WWP would beat Troy with a score of 110. So if WWP combined forces we could see at SciOly superpower with the potential to wipe Troy out.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
ScienceTurtle314
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Post by ScienceTurtle314 »

You could superstack each state... Solon and Mason, Troy and Mira Loma, WWP North and South...
alisulmoh
Has thanked: 0

Post by alisulmoh »

How were the events this year?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

TheChiScientist wrote:
Name wrote:
You added your numbers wrong. :P A Super Super Stack of all WWP would beat Troy with a score of 110. So if WWP combined forces we could see at SciOly superpower with the potential to wipe Troy out.
A hypothetical WW-P high school would almost certainly lose to Troy. I would expect them to be competitive for top 6 at Nationals though.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2019 Invitationals”