Science Olympiad at Penn Invitational 2019

bromothymol
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Science Olympiad at Penn Invitational 2019

Postby bromothymol » February 16th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Honestly they should just create this super big crazy massive WWP High School that goes to nats and beats Troy...
but the rivalry is what motivates us to improve! :*)
west windsor-plainsboro high school south '21 co-captain, 2019 SONT medalist

“I have been breeding those flies for all that time and I’ve got nothing out of it.” - T. H. Morgan being sad after breeding a lot of flies, probably

Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Postby Alex-RCHS » February 16th, 2019, 7:32 pm

The biggest surprise came from West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North B if they truly went in unstacked as rumors have it. If you take them and manually stack them you have a score of 173 which ties them with Mason and they both have 13 medals so when you look at 1st places West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North beats Mason! Thus they could have placed 2nd overall if stacked! :o
That's not how stacking works. Typically, manually stacking overestimates the performance of the team in question.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » February 16th, 2019, 7:33 pm

The biggest surprise came from West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North B if they truly went in unstacked as rumors have it. If you take them and manually stack them you have a score of 173 which ties them with Mason and they both have 13 medals so when you look at 1st places West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North beats Mason! Thus they could have placed 2nd overall if stacked! :o
That's not how stacking works. Typically, manually stacking overestimates the performance of the team in question.
Just saying. Clearly not how it works but still the potential of a stacked WWP-N could be huge.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » February 16th, 2019, 7:48 pm

I've thought about trying to develop a way to estimate a "true stacked" score that's a more accurate representation. I've considered just starting with the average of the stacked score and that school's best team score, but haven't actually done any real analysis of how that looks.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » February 16th, 2019, 8:22 pm

WWP High School together would actually be quite interesting. Anyone care to stack north and south together? I don't know how but I'm very curious on whether or not they would beat Troy.
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff
Member of the Builder Cult and DMAH
Gallagher Middle School '19
Barrington High School '23
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

Name
State: NY

Postby Name » February 16th, 2019, 8:33 pm

WWP High School together would actually be quite interesting. Anyone care to stack north and south together? I don't know how but I'm very curious on whether or not they would beat Troy.
Superstack WWPN A WWPN B WWPS A and WWPS B gives 113 so yes a superstack of the WWP would barely beat Troy.
South Woods MS/Syosset HS '21
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi
Events!: Astro, Code, Fossils
Div C medals: 29

TheChiScientist
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » February 16th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Superstack WWPN A WWPN B WWPS A and WWPS B gives 113 so yes a superstack of the WWP would barely beat Troy.
You added your numbers wrong. :P A Super Super Stack of all WWP would beat Troy with a score of 110. So if WWP combined forces we could see at SciOly superpower with the potential to wipe Troy out.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

ScienceTurtle314
State: PA

Postby ScienceTurtle314 » February 16th, 2019, 8:44 pm

You could superstack each state... Solon and Mason, Troy and Mira Loma, WWP North and South...

alisulmoh

Postby alisulmoh » February 16th, 2019, 9:08 pm

How were the events this year?

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » February 17th, 2019, 11:07 am

You added your numbers wrong. :P A Super Super Stack of all WWP would beat Troy with a score of 110. So if WWP combined forces we could see at SciOly superpower with the potential to wipe Troy out.
A hypothetical WW-P high school would almost certainly lose to Troy. I would expect them to be competitive for top 6 at Nationals though.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2019 Invitationals”