2019 Princeton University Invitational

kate!
Division: C
State: NY

Re: 2019 Princeton University Invitational

Post by kate! »

sourpatchkids wrote:Congrats to all! Anyone know what happened with FM? I know they were ranked very high coming into this, but they ended up getting 14th.
Usually they do better at states and worse earlier in the season, so they'll probably improve later.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Name
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Name »

kate! wrote:
sourpatchkids wrote:Congrats to all! Anyone know what happened with FM? I know they were ranked very high coming into this, but they ended up getting 14th.
Usually they do better at states and worse earlier in the season, so they'll probably improve later.
FM usually looks weaker at invites then they actually are, but this time they look unusually weak. We'll get a better look next week at cornell.
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
whythescratchyface
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by whythescratchyface »

really loved how this invy was run - everything was done pretty smoothly and even the paper the tests were printed on seemed high-quality lol

it was nice meeting Unome at geomapping. he writes really difficult but rewarding tests. just wish i was better at structural geology
Scratch is a visual programming language and online community targeted primarily at children. Using Scratch, users create their own interactive stories, games and animations, then share and discuss their creations with one another.

West Windsor-Plainsboro HS South '19
Cornell University '23
Flyingfish
State: PA

Post by Flyingfish »

Is anyone stacking scores? Interested to see how that plays out.
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Raleway »

Flyingfish wrote:Is anyone stacking scores? Interested to see how that plays out.
Personally stacked the notable teams and it turns out the order is WWPS, WWPN, LM, Montgomery, and then Rustin. The scores in the respective order would be: 102, 126, 165, 206, and 268.
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Post-Comp Discussion (Herpetology)
Once again, the Princeton SO team did a marvelous job running their tournament.
From a supervisor's prospective, they did a great job providing materials and rooms and communication was very good. From what I have heard, events were run very well and the other supervisors that were flown in all had a great time.
I plan to post a more extensive review of my Herpetology exam in that event forum, but here are a few interesting tidbits.
High score: 200/398: Although I usually aim for a 60% high on my exams, I was pretty satisfied to see one team get almost exactly a 50% (test was supposed to be out of 400, but I messed up). The distribution was pretty much exactly what I aim for - large point differences among the top 6 that are clearly distinguished and then a nice, continuous downwards slope among the rest. ~60 points separated 1st and 6th place, which as very nice to see. There are always grading errors that I estimate to mess up scores within +/- 5 points due to inconsistencies, and having large differences among the top 6 ensure the right teams are getting medals regardless of grading errors.
Difficulty: During the competition, it was clear to me that the test was too hard. There were numerous questions that no teams attempted and many stations that I expected a decent number of teams to finish had questions left blank. That said, the test did produce a good distribution and so I consider it a success.
Observations: Based on what I observed, it seems that the bast majority of teams are not used to taking fast-paced ID exams - Im not sure if that has become uncommon everywhere (except MIT) or perhaps in the area, but even the best teams didn't ave great test-taking strategies for this event. I think alot of people could have done better if they had practiced testing under such harsh time crunches.

All in all, I hope that competitors will enjoy reading through the answer key when it gets sent out in the next few days and learn some new things from the exam. If you have any questions, feel free to email me!
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
terence.tan

Post by terence.tan »

does anyone know if they will be releasing their test like last year?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

terence.tan wrote:does anyone know if they will be releasing their test like last year?
They will be
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
AWildMudkip
State: TX

Post by AWildMudkip »

Hi friends!

I was the Fossils event supervisor and the Earth Science Director for the tournament. Hope all of you had a good time! Here's a breakdown for Fossils:

Scores: The top score was an 88/301 (though I messed up a question so max score is a bit lower, forgot the exact value). First and sixth had a 28 pt gap, and the average score was around a 12%.
Difficulty: I heard many competitors cry murder (jk). The test was definitely exceedingly difficult. The major conceptual questions had almost no teams attempt them (and some had none). I wrote it in the perspective of paleontology as a field instead of paleontology as a science olympiad event, which definitely got the teams there (I still adhered to the Nationals Rules).
Observations: The teams that did comparatively well (kind of) knew how to ID. Like windu said, even the best teams didn't have the best strats. For example, a binder will not save you no matter how much you flip through several hundred pages of notes. Proctoring MIT with Varun and running Fossils here made it seem like teams are just memorizing how to ID and then binder flipping for everything else. At both comps, the best teams could ID, but were generally lacking beyond ID. I think teams can improve by learning core paleontology concepts and relying less on the binder.

I hope you guys enjoyed the specimens, and big shoutout to the teams since none of them were damaged! I'll be releasing photos along with the exams soon™. Feel free to email or message me on FB if you have any questions about the test or Earth Science in general!
William P. Clements High School Class of 2018

Earth Science Director of Princeton University SO (2019)
PUSO Director (2020)
[email protected]
RRapples
State: NJ

Post by RRapples »

windu34 wrote:Post-Comp Discussion (Herpetology)
Once again, the Princeton SO team did a marvelous job running their tournament.
From a supervisor's prospective, they did a great job providing materials and rooms and communication was very good. From what I have heard, events were run very well and the other supervisors that were flown in all had a great time.
I plan to post a more extensive review of my Herpetology exam in that event forum, but here are a few interesting tidbits.
High score: 200/398: Although I usually aim for a 60% high on my exams, I was pretty satisfied to see one team get almost exactly a 50% (test was supposed to be out of 400, but I messed up). The distribution was pretty much exactly what I aim for - large point differences among the top 6 that are clearly distinguished and then a nice, continuous downwards slope among the rest. ~60 points separated 1st and 6th place, which as very nice to see. There are always grading errors that I estimate to mess up scores within +/- 5 points due to inconsistencies, and having large differences among the top 6 ensure the right teams are getting medals regardless of grading errors.
Difficulty: During the competition, it was clear to me that the test was too hard. There were numerous questions that no teams attempted and many stations that I expected a decent number of teams to finish had questions left blank. That said, the test did produce a good distribution and so I consider it a success.
Observations: Based on what I observed, it seems that the bast majority of teams are not used to taking fast-paced ID exams - Im not sure if that has become uncommon everywhere (except MIT) or perhaps in the area, but even the best teams didn't ave great test-taking strategies for this event. I think alot of people could have done better if they had practiced testing under such harsh time crunches.

All in all, I hope that competitors will enjoy reading through the answer key when it gets sent out in the next few days and learn some new things from the exam. If you have any questions, feel free to email me!

I found the Herpetology exam to be one of the best that I have ever taken. It was challenging, yet not impossible or discouraging in any way.
JP Stevens 2020
Medals: 3 Regions, 2 Invitationals, 4 States
2016-17: Microbe
2017-18: Ecology, Herpetology, Microbe, Protein
2018-19: A&P, Designer Genes, Experimental Design, Herpetology, Protein, Science Quiz Bowl
2019-20: Designer Genes, Experimental Design, Ornithology, Protein

Return to “2019 Invitationals”