Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2019 Princeton University Invitational

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

windu34 wrote:
Raleway wrote:
fanjiatian wrote:Dropped out a few weeks after registration stating some variant of "we don't have the resources to attend"..
Teams that sign up should have an obligation to go and not simply "drop out." It's not fair to those on the waitlist nor the TOs or even those teams that attend and expect a certain level of competition :(

PS: Also worth noting registration was free... so kind of not cool?
I think this is the issue with having no registration fee. It would almost be better to have one as a "down payment" and then reimburse it later if they show up at competition
I think the bigger issue is teams having registration for different tournaments opening on different days, filling quickly, and in the case of some school not knowing if you will be able to bring two teams. For example Rustin signed up for Cornell which was going to be the same date as U Penn. Both are fine options but U Penn is only 30 minutes away. Unfortunately U Penn's Registration opened after Cornell's and historically has filled up quickly. So we register for Cornell to make sure we are in somewhere and when we find out later we are accepted for U Penn we let Cornell know that week.

And even that decision was partly controlled by whether or not we were accepted in the MIT lottery and could bring two teams. If MIT had not given us two teams we would have stayed local and attended the Battle at Valley Forge (which we had also registered for). That would have saved us money and taken away an overnight trip leaving us with more flexibility to attend Cornell if we wanted.

I am not sure how you solve the problem if there really is one. I don't believe Princeton being free really matters as none of the 4 invitationals I listed above are but yet experienced the same issue. Also many tournaments including our own have teams that drop out last minute. Often they are less experienced teams, but not always.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

GoldenKnight1 wrote:
windu34 wrote:
Raleway wrote:
Teams that sign up should have an obligation to go and not simply "drop out." It's not fair to those on the waitlist nor the TOs or even those teams that attend and expect a certain level of competition :(

PS: Also worth noting registration was free... so kind of not cool?
I think this is the issue with having no registration fee. It would almost be better to have one as a "down payment" and then reimburse it later if they show up at competition
I think the bigger issue is teams having registration for different tournaments opening on different days, filling quickly, and in the case of some school not knowing if you will be able to bring two teams. For example Rustin signed up for Cornell which was going to be the same date as U Penn. Both are fine options but U Penn is only 30 minutes away. Unfortunately U Penn's Registration opened after Cornell's and historically has filled up quickly. So we register for Cornell to make sure we are in somewhere and when we find out later we are accepted for U Penn we let Cornell know that week.

And even that decision was partly controlled by whether or not we were accepted in the MIT lottery and could bring two teams. If MIT had not given us two teams we would have stayed local and attended the Battle at Valley Forge (which we had also registered for). That would have saved us money and taken away an overnight trip leaving us with more flexibility to attend Cornell if we wanted.

I am not sure how you solve the problem if there really is one. I don't believe Princeton being free really matters as none of the 4 invitationals I listed above are but yet experienced the same issue. Also many tournaments including our own have teams that drop out last minute. Often they are less experienced teams, but not always.
Regarding the registration fee, I'm fairly certain Princeton had a $100 penalty for backing out after a certain date.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Unome wrote:
GoldenKnight1 wrote:
windu34 wrote:I think this is the issue with having no registration fee. It would almost be better to have one as a "down payment" and then reimburse it later if they show up at competition

Regarding the registration fee, I'm fairly certain Princeton had a $100 penalty for backing out after a certain date.
Yeah, that is correct, but I'm sure whoever dropped out most likely dropped out before that date.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

Here are my (probably incorrect) predictions:

1. WWP North
2. WWP South
3. Fayetteville-Manlius
4. Montgomery
5. Lower Merion
6. JP Stevens

EDIT: Oops, I forgot F-M. :roll:
Last edited by pb5754 on February 8th, 2019, 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
State: PA

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

pb5754[] wrote:Here are my (probably incorrect) predictions:
3. Rustin
Unlikely. The team brought the flu back from Ohio and many won't be attending Princeton.
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by lumosityfan »

My predictions (which knowing me haha will be horribly wrong but *shrugs*):

1. WWP North
2. WWP South
3. Fayetteville-Manlius
4. Lower Merion
5. Montgomery
6. JP Stevens
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
marthayin
Been thanked: 0

Post by marthayin »

Only TWO days until competition! Some final reminders:
1. Team check-in is at Campus Club on Saturday from 6:30 AM - 7:30 AM. Remember to submit your final team roster and a signed vandalism & liability form.
2. T-SHIRTS!!! You can purchase them (design below) for $10 at Lewis 138 after Session I.
3. Print the most up-to-date schedule and team numbers document from our website at https://scioly.princeton.edu/dayof
4. Final build self-scheduling results are also on the website and have sent by email. No more changes can be made.
5. Read the rules and remember to be respectful of all the organizers and volunteers who put this together.

We're so excited to welcome you to campus!
Kentucky
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kentucky »

Predictions

1. Fayetteville-Manlius
2. Lower Merion
3. Rustin
4. JP Stevens
5. WWP South
6. Monty