2019 Solon HS Invitational

SciNerd42
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2019 Solon HS Invitational

Post by SciNerd42 »

I have a question about the B placements I have seen places that said Raymond Park from Indiana got 5th but the wiki says that Science and Arts Academy did, was there an appeal?
Solon wasn't included in the top 5 as it was their invitational. They got 6th by raw scores.
4Head
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by 4Head »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
jonboyage wrote:Stacked results (with Solon):

1. Stevenson - 131
2. Mason - 139
3. New Trier - 151
4. Solon - 167
5. Northville - 182
6. Mentor - 240
7. Rustin - 252
8. Beachwood - 298
9. duPont - 325
10. Shady Side - 349

Note: Solon competed only one ranked team and they may have placed better in an event with one of their other teams, but I didn't count it here. If I did, it might only shift them up barely above New Trier.
Also note that our unranked teams were composed of newer team members, students that haven't had a chance to compete this year, and more experienced students put in events by themselves (which considering the quality of the tests made many of the events extremely difficult to do alone). We also were missing a significant chunk of students to the Speech and Debate State qualifiers

Seeing as I wrote the fossils test, I am open to feedback (both positive and negative) on how the event was run, the test was written, the specimens etc. Please feel free to share your thoughts
If that's the case then these results don't say much about you guys but I have no doubts that Mason, New Trier and Stevenson will place top 10 easily if they all go to nationals
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
AlbatrossTree

Post by AlbatrossTree »

1. Stevenson - 131
2. Mason - 139
3. Solon - 145
4. New Trier - 151
5. Northville - 182
6. Mentor - 240
7. Rustin - 252
8. Beachwood - 298
9. duPont - 325
10. Shady Side - 349

Note: Solon competed only one ranked team and they may have placed better in an event with one of their other teams, but I didn't count it here. If I did, it might only shift them up barely above New Trier.
I believe that if you superscore Solon with their "exhibition only" teams then you get 145
DontWorryAboutIt
Division: C

Post by DontWorryAboutIt »

AlbatrossTree wrote:

1. Stevenson - 131
2. Solon - 135
3. Mason - 139
4. New Trier - 151
5. Northville - 182
6. Mentor - 240
7. Rustin - 252
8. Beachwood - 298
9. duPont - 325
10. Shady Side - 349

I believe that if you superscore Solon with their "exhibition only" teams then you get 135
Thats solid, Adlai E. Stevenson is looking strong. Can't wait for SOUP to see what happens when several of the top teams go at it.
Solon '20
blueflier2000

Post by blueflier2000 »

then again, Stevenson was second superscore last year, and ended up 14th at nationals. Same for new trier, not sure how good of an indicator Solon invite super is for nats
new trier dropped almost 100 in super though, while mason increased like 50 :O crazy numbers
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

blueflier2000 wrote:then again, Stevenson was second superscore last year, and ended up 14th at nationals. Same for new trier, not sure how good of an indicator Solon invite super is for nats
new trier dropped almost 100 in super though, while mason increased like 50 :O crazy numbers
I mean predicting nationals performance can boil down to so many factors besides superscores at competitive invitationals - while split squads are a thing, placements at any given tournament can possibly even come down to something as trivial as having a good or bad day as a team. While the results are nice to have to give an idea of where they might stand, it’s not like they set the law of the land when it comes to determining that.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

pikachu4919 wrote:
blueflier2000 wrote:then again, Stevenson was second superscore last year, and ended up 14th at nationals. Same for new trier, not sure how good of an indicator Solon invite super is for nats
I mean predicting nationals performance can boil down to so many factors besides superscores at competitive invitationals - while split squads are a thing, placements at any given tournament can possibly even come down to something as trivial as having a good or bad day as a team. While the results are nice to have to give an idea of where they might stand, it’s not like they set the law of the land when it comes to determining that.
I agree with Pika. The main thing to keep in mind is that the true gauge of National teams is their performance at state. I will say that SOUP will be a good gauge though. ;)
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

I'm curious if anyone has feedback on the Disease Detectives test...
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2019 Invitationals”