2019 Golden Gate Invitational

goldengatescioly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2019 Golden Gate Invitational

Post by goldengatescioly »

Hello from Golden Gate Science Olympiad! Every year we host a Science Olympiad invitational and this year it will be held on February 9th, 2019 at the University of California, Berkeley. Take a moment to visit our website at http://www.goldengateso.com. Our team is comprised of Science Olympiad alumni at UC Berkeley and Stanford University. Our goal is to continue to run a competitive, fun tournament based on our collective experience in competing, event supervision, and tournament logistics.

Last year, we welcomed a total of 50 teams, results can be found at https://goldengateso.com/doc/results.pdf, from as far as Hawaii and Pennsylvania. Invitational trips are a great way to boost team bonding, get students excited about competition, and encourage the team to get started early in their preparations. If you have any interest or questions about the Golden Gate Invitational tournament, please don’t hesitate to reach out via email! We highly recommend making it out to our invitational for an unforgettable experience.

Registration for our tournament this year is different and can be found at https://statescioly.org/golden-gate. We are using a new platform Scilympiad, that encompasses not only school registration and sign ups, but also awards results and so much more. Instructions for this new platform are as follows:
  • 1. As a coach you will sign up and fill out the necessary contact information.
    2. Once you have successfully logged in, navigate to coaches -> school registration and fill out your School Name, District, and Division
Registration fee for this year will be the same, $150 per team registered.
Registration Time for this year will be September 17th at 12:00 PM PST.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us via email at [email protected]

Best,
The GGSO Team
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: 2019 Golden Gate Invitational

Post by PM2017 »

How quickly did registration fill up last year?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
goldengatescioly

Post by goldengatescioly »

Registration tends to fill up on the day of, for future reference!
Check us out at GoldenGateSO.com
CalColin

Post by CalColin »

"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere" -Isaac Asimov

See you Saturday.
Wellwood Middle School SO 2008-10
Fayetteville-Manlius High School SO 2010-13
Science Olympiad at Cornell 2014-2017
Golden Gate SO 2017-Present
Host Committee, Science Olympiad National Tournament at Cornell University, 2019
PotatoBoi

Post by PotatoBoi »

CalColin wrote:"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere" -Isaac Asimov

See you Saturday.
Nationals Herp supervisor! :o
CalColin

Post by CalColin »

PotatoBoi wrote:
CalColin wrote:"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere" -Isaac Asimov

See you Saturday.
Nationals Herp supervisor! :o

Caught me! I moonlight as a Golden Gate director :)
Wellwood Middle School SO 2008-10
Fayetteville-Manlius High School SO 2010-13
Science Olympiad at Cornell 2014-2017
Golden Gate SO 2017-Present
Host Committee, Science Olympiad National Tournament at Cornell University, 2019
waterqualityquestion

Post by waterqualityquestion »

Does anyone know if the awards will be livestreamed? if so, where?
pepperonipi
Division: C
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

Final scores are up!
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
will926ok3645
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by will926ok3645 »

Congrats to Mountain View on an 88 point victory! Very strong and impressive showing from them. Their second team nearly placed in six events, so it seems as if they have a decent group of prospects on their way.
Boca Raton gets 2nd for the third straight invite; it will be interesting to see if they can keep their streak going next week at SOUP against Troy, Mason, and other extremely talented teams, and if they can break the streak against Archimedian at regionals the following week. Regardless, they continue to display that they are an incredibly strong team and are a dark horse for top-5 overall placement at Nationals. If their second team has a strong performance at SOUP, it could be safe to conclude that Boca Raton will be a formidable team for years to come.
Boca Raton '19 UF '23
UF Science Olympiad President
[email protected]
AgriBio Author
Birdmusic
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

Wow, I didn't expect such a well-done invitationals (never been to one before though, maybe that's why I had low expectations XD). Definitely the best tests I've had since starting SciOly. Sound proctor was super nice and analyzed our data for us immediately, and Sounds test was pretty easy, though we didn't finish because we didn't prioritize questions right (oops), Circuits test was a huge wake-up call that we had been studying the wrong things (big oops), but I feel the lab portion had too little time for each activity (but then again we had done very little practice on this), and Disease was one of the few tests I've seen that had less than 10 points dedicated to random disease trivia (I think, don't remember exactly), yet was challenging because of both material covered and length.

10/10 would go again, also Berkeley was amazing since we accidentally stumbled into some mini-forest/garden near homerooms which was really pretty. (unfortunately we didn't have time to see the Botanical Gardens :( )
I like birds.

Return to “2019 Invitationals”