2019 Harvard Science Olympiad Div. B Invitational

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: 2019 Harvard Science Olympiad Div. B Invitational

Post by Unome »

drcubbin wrote:We know very little about Massachusetts teams and so some of the team names are unfamiliar to us, so how competitive is MA overall? We are going to Bayard Rustin next weekend and we know PA is very competitive 8-)
The top MA team might be competitive with you, but I'm probably overestimating them.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

We just received notification that Harvard will not be running any "wet labs" and so the hands-on lab in Potions and Poisons is out (they will be providing any information necessary. Does anyone know what that will mean for Thermodynamics?
drcubbin

Post by drcubbin »

January 10th update (from the Harvard organizers)

Hello all! Regarding our announcement about events with wet labs, here is the list of events with hands-on activities/lab components that we are modifying:

Circuit Lab
Crime Busters
Density Lab
Potions and Poisons

For these events, instead of requiring competitors to manipulate instruments or work with reactive chemicals, we will instead be supplying data that competitors will then use to answer additional questions.
Because we are modifying these events, students will not be penalized if they do not bring their safety gear to these four events. All other events, however, will follow the standards as established by the 2019 Division B Rules Manual. (We will still be running thermodynamics as according to the national guidelines).

Thank you all for your understanding. Please let us know if you have any further event clarification questions!

Best,
The HUSO Division B Tournament Directors
thecatgod
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by thecatgod »

I cannot believe there are only 5 days left. Any predictions before that fateful day? Personally, I think it'll be a close race between Bay Academy and Springhouse for 1st and 2nd based on how close they were at Garnet to overtaking Springhouse.
Medal Count 2018: 20
Rustin/Garnet/Islip/Cornell/Regionals/States
Hovercraft:3/4/4/1/1/1
Thermo:16/6/1/3/1/5
Quiz Bowl:4/-/2/-/-/-/
Optics:11/7/-/-/-/1
Experimental:-/-/-/23/2/5
Road Scholar:-/-/-/-/2/2
Fast Facts:-/-/-/6/-/-/
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

thecatgod wrote:I cannot believe there are only 5 days left. Any predictions before that fateful day? Personally, I think it'll be a close race between Bay Academy and Springhouse for 1st and 2nd based on how close they were at Garnet to overtaking Springhouse.
After Springhouse's performance at Solon, I'd think that Springhouse will still win out over Bay Academy (but i might just be biased cause same school district)
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

thecatgod wrote:I cannot believe there are only 5 days left. Any predictions before that fateful day? Personally, I think it'll be a close race between Bay Academy and Springhouse for 1st and 2nd based on how close they were at Garnet to overtaking Springhouse.
Springhouse beat Solon at Solon Invy.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Anomaly wrote:
After Springhouse's performance at Solon, I'd think that Springhouse will still win out over Bay Academy (but i might just be biased cause same school district)
I wouldn't agree that Springhouse's Solon performance accurately represented their actual performance. They weren't nearly as good at LISO, Rustin, and Garnet, placing 3rd, 3rd, and 2nd, always behind either Gelinas or Community. However, I think that they would still perform well enough to beat out Bay Academy, whether the gap be large or small.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
I wouldn't agree that Springhouse's Solon performance accurately represented their actual performance. They weren't nearly as good at LISO, Rustin, and Garnet, placing 3rd, 3rd, and 2nd, always behind either Gelinas or Community. However, I think that they would still perform well enough to beat out Bay Academy, whether the gap be large or small.
I don't think it's as much that Springhouse's Solon performance doesn't accurately represent their actual performance, but that their performance is a little overstated due to where Solon placed. I think Springhouse's performance relative to the other schools that were present (Solon itself notwithstanding) is about in line with their previous performances.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
Anomaly wrote: After Springhouse's performance at Solon, I'd think that Springhouse will still win out over Bay Academy (but i might just be biased cause same school district)
I don't think it's as much that Springhouse's Solon performance doesn't accurately represent their actual performance, but that their performance is a little overstated due to where Solon placed. I think Springhouse's performance relative to the other schools that were present (Solon itself notwithstanding) is about in line with their previous performances.
Springhouse bombed a lot LISO, Rustin, and Garnet though.

LISO: 12, 15, 17
Rustin: 49, 52 :?:
Garnet: 17, 20, 21
Solon: Springhouse got 24 and 18 as their worst placements. Solon got 41, 32, and 27 - unusual, as they won exdesi, got 2nd in mystery, and 1st in roller at northmont. They also did extremely well in these events at Centerville. In addition, all of these events are the type that are easy to bomb. I'd say it's just bad luck tbh.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
Rivkaaa
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Rivkaaa »

builderguy135 wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
Springhouse bombed a lot LISO, Rustin, and Garnet though.

LISO: 12, 15, 17
Rustin: 49, 52 :?:
Garnet: 17, 20, 21
Solon: Springhouse got 24 and 18 as their worst placements. Solon got 41, 32, and 27 - unusual, as they won exdesi, got 2nd in mystery, and 1st in roller at northmont. They also did extremely well in these events at Centerville. In addition, all of these events are the type that are easy to bomb. I'd say it's just bad luck tbh.
Yeah, I agree that such events are easy to mess up (as I have seen occur on my team too), but Springhouse has been crushing it more and more recently! I believe that it'll be a very close race between Bay, Springhouse, and Solon, and I can't wait for it! Best of luck to everyone attending Harvard!
2018 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Microbe Mission
2019 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Water Quality
Bay Academy

Return to “2019 Invitationals”