Cornell Invitational (Division B and C)

sophisSyo
Division: Grad
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Cornell Invitational (Division B and C)

Post by sophisSyo »

This is pretty late lol but my thoughts.... overall? I know some of us had trouble getting to events on time but that happens (major issue for me at Brown not so much here). Some of the tests were actually the most challenging that I've encountered all year, ex. Protein Modeling. I've heard that other tests were really easy so I guess it differed.
Anatomy and Physiology: Pretty good test overall? I really liked that section with the drug effects. However, I had an issue with one of the case studies and was discussing with B Team afterward. The symptoms could have aligned with either bradycardia or congestive heart failure, and leaned more strongly towards the latter. However, they did provide an EKG that demonstrated bradycardia. I just wish the symptoms were a bit more specific.
Designer Genes: Haha. The questions about specific fluorescent proteins threw me off for sure. And I blanked out on part of the Hardy weinberg equilibrium chi square proof since I haven't seen that since last year in AP Bio but I still got 3/4 credit and it's easy if you know it so that's on me. Definitely a more challenging test than the other invites I've been to, including MIT, but that may just be because of the topic matter. Not sure if some of it would be super relevant to the states exam?
Disease Detectives: I'm surprised we medalled, given that we got a bunch of consecutive questions wrong (not my part and I don't have it on me so I can't recall exactly but they were one of the question sets for a case study) and the test was not super long. Overall, cute test - I just honestly wish it was longer. for some reason I haven't been to a single invite this year that had your stereotypical sweat inducing 20+ page case study heavy test. But, it covered most of the important concepts and actually had some relevant math so thanks. Also, nice touch with the 13 step not 10 step outbreak investigation.
Protein Modeling: Well this was a personal RIP. I salvaged some questions and then switched almost immediately with our usual build partner (one of our biochem people wasn't here very sad) which turned out okay. We ended up actually finishing the build faster than we have in a while although we missed an easy question on the test and completely overlooked another but that's on us. It was a good test though because it was more than a bunch of basic biochem or excessive questions on disulfide bridges - definitely good states prep.
WIDI - This was more problematic for my team than the test itself - I can usually finish a build in ≤5 minutes but this one was tricky and I ended up taking the entire time. Also, I had to add an extra piece of tape because my build literally would fall over from the weight otherwise but nice - according to my writer afterwards, the marshmallows were indeed hanging by a thread (oh ho like me haha).
Third year coming and y'all keep improving, competition was definitely harder this year. thanks for a good time:)
Past Events: A&P, DD, DG, Exp, Herpe, IS, Orni, PM, WIDI etc.
Former Syosset President/Captain
UVA Student

Ornithology<3
randomperson123
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by randomperson123 »

Will Cornell be releasing raw scores for events like last year?
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

randomperson123 wrote:Will Cornell be releasing raw scores for events like last year?
I was told by their tournament director that they would NOT be releasing raw scores this year.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
IvanGe
State: NY

Post by IvanGe »

So Cornell sent out their tests and said to not share the tests. We received them by email from Cornell and I went through and noticed some of the answer keys are blank? For example, potions and disease both have one page with answers and then the rest blank. Does anyone else have this issue and is Cornell aware of this?
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy
Pettywap
State: PA

Post by Pettywap »

IvanGe wrote:So Cornell sent out their tests and said to not share the tests. We received them by email from Cornell and I went through and noticed some of the answer keys are blank? For example, potions and disease both have one page with answers and then the rest blank. Does anyone else have this issue and is Cornell aware of this?
This was the same for dynamic planet (I checked the div b test set since div c and b had almost identical tests). Only the first page of the key, test, and answer sheet were available. The rest of it was blank pages.
"Who's Fettywap?"
Vive

Post by Vive »

Do we know why Cornell is not releasing the raw score?
BrownieInMotion
State: VA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BrownieInMotion »

Not sure where to ask this, but did Protein Modeling return the scores for the pre-build and on-site build? We got our stuff in the mail today, but the test packet for Protein Modeling only had the test score written on the cover page, so we're curious as to how we scored on the other two sections.
Langley '19
Cornell '23
BrownieInMotion's Userpage
Pettywap

Post by Pettywap »

BrownieInMotion wrote:Not sure where to ask this, but did Protein Modeling return the scores for the pre-build and on-site build? We got our stuff in the mail today, but the test packet for Protein Modeling only had the test score written on the cover page, so we're curious as to how we scored on the other two sections.
Not exactly sure about the on-site build but we didn't get anything for the pre-build. That being said, I'm pretty sure teams aren't supposed to get anything for the pre-build.
"Who's Fettywap?"
BrownieInMotion
State: VA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BrownieInMotion »

Pettywap wrote:
BrownieInMotion wrote:Not sure where to ask this, but did Protein Modeling return the scores for the pre-build and on-site build? We got our stuff in the mail today, but the test packet for Protein Modeling only had the test score written on the cover page, so we're curious as to how we scored on the other two sections.
Not exactly sure about the on-site build but we didn't get anything for the pre-build. That being said, I'm pretty sure teams aren't supposed to get anything for the pre-build.
Huh okay. For the other invitationals we've gone to this year we got our total score for each build section back (usually written on the cover sheet of the test), so we could still see how we scored on those sections without getting a rubric or anything else back. I sort of assumed that was the norm but I guess not haha.
Langley '19
Cornell '23
BrownieInMotion's Userpage
Pettywap

Post by Pettywap »

BrownieInMotion wrote:
Pettywap wrote:
Huh okay. For the other invitationals we've gone to this year we got our total score for each build section back (usually written on the cover sheet of the test), so we could still see how we scored on those sections without getting a rubric or anything else back. I sort of assumed that was the norm but I guess not haha.
Ye I thought that was the norm too. We only got 1 back out of the 4 invites we went to.
"Who's Fettywap?"

Return to “2019 Invitationals”