Cornell Invitational (Division B and C)

home2mars
Coach
Coach
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cornell Invitational (Division B and C)

Post by home2mars »

Will they upload the div B test at the wiki test exhange?

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2019_Test_Exchange

Or is it posted somewhere already?

TIA!
hmmm
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by hmmm »

home2mars wrote:Will they upload the div B test at the wiki test exhange?

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2019_Test_Exchange

Or is it posted somewhere already?

TIA!
They said not to distribute the tests. Check with your coach if they got a copy.
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
will0416
State: OH

Post by will0416 »

Name wrote: Code (6): uhh yeah that was bad. They refused to wait like at all for our third member and that hurt our time bonus although I don't think that affected us getting an extra question. The test expected us to have the running key key memorized which in my opinion is stupid. I'm pretty sure the affine is unsolvable because the key was found to be 12x+3 and 12 isn't coprime to 26. Then for the rest of the test we started getting tripped up on everything and making really stupid mistakes which is our fault. Besides the 2 questions everything else was fine, but code was really frustrating for me.
Sorry about just finding this thread rn, but the equation for that particular affine question had a = -1 or a=25 depending on how you view it. I can see how you could get that mixed up with a = 12 but my partners and I found that the affine was doable. Also, I was wondering if CB raw scores for Cornell were available anywhere?
Mason ‘22
2021 Nats:
Chem - 1
Code - 5
SOM - 2
Boomi - 2

2019 Nats:
Code - 4
Mission - 4

Check out will0416's Userpage
Name
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Name »

will0416 wrote:
Name wrote: Code (6): uhh yeah that was bad. They refused to wait like at all for our third member and that hurt our time bonus although I don't think that affected us getting an extra question. The test expected us to have the running key key memorized which in my opinion is stupid. I'm pretty sure the affine is unsolvable because the key was found to be 12x+3 and 12 isn't coprime to 26. Then for the rest of the test we started getting tripped up on everything and making really stupid mistakes which is our fault. Besides the 2 questions everything else was fine, but code was really frustrating for me.
Sorry about just finding this thread rn, but the equation for that particular affine question had a = -1 or a=25 depending on how you view it. I can see how you could get that mixed up with a = 12 but my partners and I found that the affine was doable. Also, I was wondering if CB raw scores for Cornell were available anywhere?
Yeah we figured out afterwards. Basically solve for B first and it works. We were 3600ish.
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
will0416
State: OH

Post by will0416 »

Name wrote:
will0416 wrote:
Yeah we figured out afterwards. Basically solve for B first and it works. We were 3600ish.

Alright thanks for the help.
Mason ‘22
2021 Nats:
Chem - 1
Code - 5
SOM - 2
Boomi - 2

2019 Nats:
Code - 4
Mission - 4

Check out will0416's Userpage
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

I know it's a bit early to be talking about next season, but Cornell just released the dates for their invitational. Yes, I said dateS. For some reason, Cornell Div C is on November 23, 2019, and Cornell Div B is on February 15, 2020. Does anyone know A) why they're having 2 separate tournaments and B) why division C is so early? Are they possibly trying to join the trend of super early invitationals (i.e. LISO, UT-A, Dodgen, etc.) or is it just a logistics issue and they want to be able to fit more teams (I do recall that they had to bar about 10 or so teams from attending awards in the actual awards room because they couldn't fit everyone- and I know this is off-topic but what will they do at nationals?) Either way, this is certainly different from the norm and I'm wondering why. If anyone has some answers I'd appreciate it.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

kate! wrote:I know it's a bit early to be talking about next season, but Cornell just released the dates for their invitational. Yes, I said dateS. For some reason, Cornell Div C is on November 23, 2019, and Cornell Div B is on February 15, 2020. Does anyone know A) why they're having 2 separate tournaments and B) why division C is so early? Are they possibly trying to join the trend of super early invitationals (i.e. LISO, UT-A, Dodgen, etc.) or is it just a logistics issue and they want to be able to fit more teams (I do recall that they had to bar about 10 or so teams from attending awards in the actual awards room because they couldn't fit everyone- and I know this is off-topic but what will they do at nationals?) Either way, this is certainly different from the norm and I'm wondering why. If anyone has some answers I'd appreciate it.
It's not any different from what was done last year. Hosting a combined tournament is significantly more difficult than two separate tournaments (aside from not having to reserve two dates). Event supervisors can't be reused, and the space requirements are more stringent, which means more wrangling with admin.

The Call Auditorium seats 600, which is rather small for 40-50 teams. Barton Hall seats 4800, which is actually somewhat smaller than the last two years, but significantly larger than Johnson Fieldhouse (UW Stout), which was packed to the brim and very slightly overflowing. I don't think we'll have any space problems at Nationals this year.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Unome wrote:
kate! wrote:I know it's a bit early to be talking about next season, but Cornell just released the dates for their invitational. Yes, I said dateS. For some reason, Cornell Div C is on November 23, 2019, and Cornell Div B is on February 15, 2020. Does anyone know A) why they're having 2 separate tournaments and B) why division C is so early? Are they possibly trying to join the trend of super early invitationals (i.e. LISO, UT-A, Dodgen, etc.) or is it just a logistics issue and they want to be able to fit more teams (I do recall that they had to bar about 10 or so teams from attending awards in the actual awards room because they couldn't fit everyone- and I know this is off-topic but what will they do at nationals?) Either way, this is certainly different from the norm and I'm wondering why. If anyone has some answers I'd appreciate it.
It's not any different from what was done last year. Hosting a combined tournament is significantly more difficult than two separate tournaments (aside from not having to reserve two dates). Event supervisors can't be reused, and the space requirements are more stringent, which means more wrangling with admin.

The Call Auditorium seats 600, which is rather small for 40-50 teams. Barton Hall seats 4800, which is actually somewhat smaller than the last two years, but significantly larger than Johnson Fieldhouse (UW Stout), which was packed to the brim and very slightly overflowing. I don't think we'll have any space problems at Nationals this year.
On a sidenote I just wanna make sure that Battery Buggy and the ceremonies aren't the same facility. Stupid thought of mine but I want to make sure lol.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

MadCow2357 wrote:
Unome wrote:

On a sidenote I just wanna make sure that Battery Buggy and the ceremonies aren't the same facility. Stupid thought of mine but I want to make sure lol.
They are in different facilities. Battery Buggy is in Bartels Hall while the Opening and Closing Ceremonies are in Barton Hall - they are a few blocks away from each other.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

rfscoach wrote: They are in different facilities. Battery Buggy is in Bartels Hall while the Opening and Closing Ceremonies are in Barton Hall - they are a few blocks away from each other.
Oh lol, Bartels and Barton look so similar.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “2019 Invitationals”