Cornell Invitational (Division B and C)

shoujolivia
Division: C
State: NV
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cornell Invitational (Division B and C)

Post by shoujolivia » February 17th, 2019, 11:45 am

Unome wrote: Wait why did Clark do so poorly? I didn't even notice you guys on the scoresheet until you posted and I went back to check.
omg unome..... hi!!!! thank u for being our biggest fan c:

we believe we did pretty well with our 3rd and 4th teams.

thanks for believing the hype, stay on it!!!!
uwu
2019: herpetology, expd, protein
2018: helicopters, herpetology, widi
2017: invasive, widi
(6th place, picture this, mit 2018)
(3rd place, herpetology, cornell 2019)
lol chlorine argon potassium !!! (clark hs)

porphyry
State: CT

Post by porphyry » February 17th, 2019, 11:46 am

Solar System: (11th) The test was kind of weird. The first part was actually a pretty okay test and then it went into Cepheid variables and stuff about stars. Overall, it was okay, though. 6.5/10

Dynamic Planet: (3rd) This was one of the hardest tests I've ever taken. It was really dense, but also challenging, and on topic. They really knew what they were doing with this one. 9/10

Meteorology: (20th) This was an on-topic test, but it did seem a little easy. Of course, I haven't been doing meteo till this year so I don't really have the experience to say too much about it. 7/10

Experimental: (20th) They started it a bit late, but I understand why. At the same time, it was a weird venue. There weren't very many tables and it was right next to the cafeteria, so people could just walk in and out of the venue and no one would care. But the topic was a great choice, and the materials made sense. The only thing about the test is that they gave us both halves of the test at the same time. 7.5/10

I had a lot of fun at the invitational! It did seem a bit spread out, and first and second period ended and started (respectively) at the same time. While I had a free period after first, a lot of people on my team didn't, and that was a bit challenging for us. The award ceremony started on time, though, which was nice. Congrats everybody!
Staples HS, CT Dank Memes Area Homeschool :D

2020 Events: Astronomy, Dynamic, GeoLogic Mapping

dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by dragonfruit35 » February 17th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Mousetrap Vehicle (7th) - well-run, a bit of a queue built up for who would be next but that’s to be expected with more than a couple teams in the same session. No complaints, the only issue was with our device performance (although it was unfortunate that the track was not placed on a centerline, which seemed to be in order to fit two tracks in the same space). (9/10)

Herpetology (11th) - The test was decently well-written, but there was a heavy focus on anatomy and a lot of questions asked for both genuses and species that were more specific than what was on the list (so as far as I know, we weren’t supposed to be asked about them). Also, we noticed when reviewing our test that there were an alarming amount of questions we checked and double-checked (with the aid of Google to be sure) that we’re pretty sure were right but were marked wrong... :?: (8/10)

Codebusters (1st) - smoothly run with a good variety of questions; as Name mentioned, one of the Affine questions seemed to be unsolvable, and we had a lot of trouble trying to solve the Patristocrats, but I don’t know if that was an issue that any other teams had or if it was just us. (8/10)

Overall (team 4th) - this is the most competitive and furthest-away invitational I’ve ever been to, and it was a great experience. Aside from some issues with events running behind, it was overall well-run and hopefully we can come back and have a similar experience next year!

edit: oops genuses and species not families and genuses lol
Last edited by dragonfruit35 on February 17th, 2019, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 (Duke/Regionals/Cornell/States/Nats)
Mission 3/7/- Sounds 4/2/- Herp -/-/11/1/26 MV 2/3/7/3/10 Code 3/1/1/1/5
2020 (CMU/Regionals/SOUP)
Detector 4/📏/- GV 6/🥢/8 Code 1/1/5 ED -/-/1 PPP -/-/38

R.I.P. Nationals 2020 :(

wzhang5460
Division: B
State: NY

Post by wzhang5460 » February 17th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Boomi (14th): Please tell event supervisors not to touch people's boomi, as ours broke as one of them handled it. Could've did better if we didn't have to superglue on the spot. Metal beads resulted in fast testing. 7/10

Circuit (7th): Hard test, didn't really get the lab. Please for the love of god don't give us analog voltmeters- we could barely distinguish voltages. 8/10

Disease (3rd): Good test but in my opinion the math part was almost entirely concentrated in the incidence calculations that we completely bombed so rip. 9/10

Duct Tape (5th): Big props to the proctor who let us leave 5 minutes after the event start and let us default dance in the room. 11/10

Mystery (9th): Good event, really liked that there was no tape limitation. 10/10

Sci Tech Bowl (2nd): Pretty hard, also we were not allowed a calculator and some physics questions you kinda needed one. 9/10

Overall well run, congrats.
Circuit Lab NY State Champion with legendary circuitologist Eric Wang
LONGEST DEFENDING ROCKS AND MINERALS REGIONAL CHAMPION OF EASTERN LONG ISLAND IN HISTORY ~3 YEARS AND COUNTING

Name
State: NY

Post by Name » February 17th, 2019, 12:37 pm

dragonfruit35 wrote:Mousetrap Vehicle (7th) - well-run, a bit of a queue built up for who would be next but that’s to be expected with more than a couple teams in the same session. No complaints, the only issue was with our device performance (although it was unfortunate that the track was not placed on a centerline, which seemed to be in order to fit two tracks in the same space). (9/10)

Herpetology (11th) - The test was decently well-written, but there was a heavy focus on anatomy and a lot of questions asked for both families and genuses that were more specific than what was on the list (so as far as I know, we weren’t supposed to be asked about them). Also, we noticed when reviewing our test that there were an alarming amount of questions we checked and double-checked (with the aid of Google to be sure) that we’re pretty sure were right but were marked wrong... :?: (8/10)

Codebusters (1st) - smoothly run with a good variety of questions; as Name mentioned, one of the Affine questions seemed to be unsolvable, and we had a lot of trouble trying to solve the Patristocrats, but I don’t know if that was an issue that any other teams had or if it was just us. (8/10)

Overall (team 4th) - this is the most competitive and furthest-away invitational I’ve ever been to, and it was a great experience. Aside from some issues with events running behind, it was overall well-run and hopefully we can come back and have a similar experience next year!
We also had problems with both patristos. Our patristo guy got stuck and decided to move on instead of continuing solving, while normally he's really good at them. (Although we had problems with literally everything on the test, including screwing up a caeser decode...)
What was your time bonus? We were at 2:15, without our third guy.
Syosset HS '21
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi
Events!: Astro, Code, Fossils
Cornell/LISO/Duke/MIT/Regionals/Brown/SOUP
Astro: 2/4/2/10/2/2/3
Code: 9/1/2/1/1/1/1
Fossils: 16/13/6/9/2/3/8
1 fermi cornell, 10 orni LISO, 4 green gen regionals

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome » February 17th, 2019, 2:04 pm

shoujolivia wrote:
Unome wrote: Wait why did Clark do so poorly? I didn't even notice you guys on the scoresheet until you posted and I went back to check.
omg unome..... hi!!!! thank u for being our biggest fan c:

we believe we did pretty well with our 3rd and 4th teams.

thanks for believing the hype, stay on it!!!!
Ah, that makes sense. Where were the other teams?
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

BrownieInMotion
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BrownieInMotion » February 17th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Chem Lab (3rd): Fun and a good difficulty. I appreciated the fact that the test sectioned the MCs into Physical Properties and Acid Base parts. I ran a bit short on time so I showed zero work on the last page of FRQs which probably cost me some points. I was hoping for some hard equilibrium problems though, since I studied a lot of that post-MIT. I don't know what the question asking you to draw the different d orbitals was trying to test, but maybe I'm just salty I didn't remember it. I thought the lab task sounded very easy but it took my partner almost the whole time so maybe not. [8.5/10]
Geo Maps (15th): The matching and MCs were really short and fairly easy, but everything else was pretty challenging. The image quality was kind of poor for some of the maps, but it didn't affect readability. Neither my partner nor I were really sure how to draw the geologic cross section, so we probably lost most of our points there. Anyhow, this test showed me that I have a lot of work to do, and I am very happy about that. :) [7.5/10]
Protein Modeling (2nd): The test covered a lot of stuff. The CRISPR/Cas9 questions were very relevant--pulling from actual papers is always cool. Like with Chem Lab, the test was split by subject which made splitting it up pretty nice. Worth noting that I didn't realize that a lot of the MCs were select all that apply until halfway through though, so I lost some time being confused over that, but that's my fault for not reading the directions carefully. [8/10]
Duct Tape (15th): I did this for fun and it was very fun. Didn't do well but didn't expect to either. ESs and the other teams in our session all seemed like wonderful and upstanding people. I also finally got to show off my dotted-line drawing skills on the chalkboard in the room :P [10/10]
Science Trivia (1st): Only one of our team members showed up on time for this, with me and our third person showing up around 5 minutes in. Even then, we finished 5 minutes early, and I saw a lot of other teams leave early too, so I think the questions definitely could stand to either increase in difficulty or number. Full disclosure, however, I only did the chemistry, earth/space, and some of the biology questions, so I don't know how hard the physics section was. I also kind of wish they ran the buzzer round, but we wouldn't have been able to stay for that anyways since we left right as our events ended. [8.5/10]

Echoing what a few people have already mentioned, Wright Stuff ran very slowly, and, from what my teammates told me, they couldn't test their device because of that. On another note, our bus got stuck in a ditch in the morning, but Cornell let the event supervisors know about it, so we didn't have to spend time getting our wristbands for the first two sessions. Later, one of the people running the tournament came into our home base and chatted with our coach for a bit and made sure we were all good, which was very nice. After the tournament, awards started on time and results were released really quickly. The Facebook livestream of the ceremony was also extremely cash, especially since we couldn't stay. Cornell was the last invitational I'll ever compete in, and I had a really fun time. Thanks to all the volunteers and congratulations to all the competitors! <3

EDIT: I take back what I said about the d orbitals question. I now know enough about transition metal chemistry to see that it related to the following question about the relative energies of the d orbitals in an octahedral complex. Cool stuff!
Last edited by BrownieInMotion on March 20th, 2019, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Langley '19
Cornell '23
BrownieInMotion's Userpage

shoujolivia
State: NV

Post by shoujolivia » February 17th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Unome wrote: Ah, that makes sense. Where were the other teams?
we gave everyone in the club the opportunity to go to 2 invitationals!! they were just resting from gg haha
uwu
2019: herpetology, expd, protein
2018: helicopters, herpetology, widi
2017: invasive, widi
(6th place, picture this, mit 2018)
(3rd place, herpetology, cornell 2019)
lol chlorine argon potassium !!! (clark hs)

dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dragonfruit35 » February 17th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Name wrote:We also had problems with both patristos. Our patristo guy got stuck and decided to move on instead of continuing solving, while normally he's really good at them. (Although we had problems with literally everything on the test, including screwing up a caeser decode...)
What was your time bonus? We were at 2:15, without our third guy.
Yeah, that’s unfortunate :( we took 1:42 for the timed question, although we forgot to write in the first word of each line and wasted around 15 seconds realizing and fixing that, lol.
2019 (Duke/Regionals/Cornell/States/Nats)
Mission 3/7/- Sounds 4/2/- Herp -/-/11/1/26 MV 2/3/7/3/10 Code 3/1/1/1/5
2020 (CMU/Regionals/SOUP)
Detector 4/📏/- GV 6/🥢/8 Code 1/1/5 ED -/-/1 PPP -/-/38

R.I.P. Nationals 2020 :(

sciolyrules107
State: PA

Post by sciolyrules107 » February 17th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Fossils:
(9/10)- It was run pretty well. The difficulty of the stations and time limit was fair. Additionally, it started on time and finished a few minutes early so that everyone got to their next events smoothly (which is pretty uncommon in fossils) The only thing I would say is that, there were some random questions on the test that didn’t really relate to fossils and one question that included a specimen that was not on the fossils list.

WIDI:
(7/10)- When I was walking to find the WIDI with my teammate during the impound period, the WIDI model was very visible from outside of the room through the glass on either side of the door. During the event, when the writers came out of the rooms, the proctors left everyone unsupervised for about 5 minutes, so almost all of the writers were talking with the doers about how to build the model. Otherwise, it was a good WIDI, but the proctors could have been a bit stricter.

Wright Stuff:

(0/10)- I’d say this was one of the worst proctored events that I have gone to. I was unable to participate in Wright Stuff because the event was run so poorly and slowly. Arriving on time, my partner and I went behind three other teams waiting in line to be checked in while another team was inside. 20 minutes later, the first team had left and the second team was finally let into the hall. With 10 minutes left of the time slot, when the team in front of us was going to check in, we asked the proctors if we could start setting up (we verified if this was okay w/ the other team first), since I had to run to an event next period, but they were very hesitant to do so. We set our things up, stood in the lobby while the other team flew, but the time came where I had to go to fossils and left my partner by herself. What was the most infuriating was that the proctor was chitchatting with classmates (or friends) in the lobby for 10 minutes when the team inside was ready to fly. It was completely unnecessary to hold a single team inside lecture the hall with the doors sealed for 20 minutes. It could have easily been avoided if one of the three proctors had checked our teams in, measured our planes etc. in the lobby instead of taking teams in one at a time and keeping them for 20 minutes while other teams were waiting. On a positive note, a lady from one of the schools waiting to fly was keeping people from entering the room during flights, which was nice.
"my brain is fossilized"

Return to “2019 Invitationals”