Cornell Invitational (Division B and C)

Name
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Cornell Invitational (Division B and C)

Postby Name » January 20th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Div C (Ignoring Team B, assuming everyone stacks, which they probably won't)
1. Solon
2. WWPN
3. Northville
4. Columbia
5. Camas
6. FM
7. Clark
8. Ward
9. TJHSST
10. Fairfax
11. Syosset
12. Montgomery
13. Stuyvesant
14. SSA
15. idk Langley?
South Woods MS/Syosset HS '21
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi
Events!: Astro, Code, Fossils
Div C medals: 29

Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Postby Alex-RCHS » January 20th, 2019, 4:53 pm

1. Solon
2. WWPN
3. Northville
4. Columbia
5. Camas
6. FM
7. Clark
8. Ward
9. TJHSST
10. Fairfax
11. Syosset
12. Montgomery
13. Stuyvesant
14. SSA
15. idk Langley?
I like these predictions. However TJ was perfectly unstacked at Duke, and Fairfax beat them by a little. I would switch TJ and Fairfax, but if TJ was stacked I would put them at 7.

2-4 will be close. I think Solon is usually unstacked at invites, but I think they'll win anyway.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » January 20th, 2019, 5:31 pm

1. Solon
2. WWPN
3. Northville
4. Columbia
5. Camas
6. FM
7. Clark
8. Ward
9. TJHSST
10. Fairfax
11. Syosset
12. Montgomery
13. Stuyvesant
14. SSA
15. idk Langley?
I like these predictions. However TJ was perfectly unstacked at Duke, and Fairfax beat them by a little. I would switch TJ and Fairfax, but if TJ was stacked I would put them at 7.

2-4 will be close. I think Solon is usually unstacked at invites, but I think they'll win anyway.
I wouldn't put TJ higher than where they are right now, instead I'd put Fairfax 2 places lower. TJ might beat WM if they do particularly well, but Clark has been very strong this year (I'd actually consider putting them at 6th).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Name

Postby Name » January 20th, 2019, 5:44 pm

1. Solon
2. WWPN
3. Northville
4. Columbia
5. Camas
6. FM
7. Clark
8. Ward
9. TJHSST
10. Fairfax
11. Syosset
12. Montgomery
13. Stuyvesant
14. SSA
15. idk Langley?

Website says TJ is bringing one team so I'm presuming they will be stacked

drcubbin
Division: B

Postby drcubbin » January 21st, 2019, 4:20 am

Stacked? Not to sound out of the loop, but is this loading up your team with the top players? Our "A" team is always "stacked", unless we have a pair scoring higher throughout the Invitational schedule, then we move them up. And how would one school know if another school was stacking? Is the purpose of this so a school does not "tip their hand" and fly under the radar throughout Invitationals?

emmalasagna
State: CT

Postby emmalasagna » January 21st, 2019, 6:16 am

Stacked? Not to sound out of the loop, but is this loading up your team with the top players? Our "A" team is always "stacked", unless we have a pair scoring higher throughout the Invitational schedule, then we move them up. And how would one school know if another school was stacking? Is the purpose of this so a school does not "tip their hand" and fly under the radar throughout Invitationals?
Yeah, that's basically what stacking is. As for knowing if another team is stacked, I don't think there's really any way to do that unless they say so on here or something, but idk.
bedford ms '19, staples hs '23
ornithology, fossils, designer genes, expd??

Name

Postby Name » January 21st, 2019, 6:32 am

I believe the general purpose of unstacking is to give more inexperienced members some experience, and a chance to medal.

drcubbin
Division: B

Postby drcubbin » January 21st, 2019, 6:41 am

I believe the general purpose of unstacking is to give more inexperienced members some experience, and a chance to medal.
Thanks all! I figured that what it was - just didn't want to use the term incorrectly and sound ridiculous :D

Pettywap
State: PA

Postby Pettywap » January 21st, 2019, 6:42 am

Yeah, that's basically what stacking is. As for knowing if another team is stacked, I don't think there's really any way to do that unless they say so on here or something, but idk.
You can tell sometimes if the team brings two teams. One way to tell is if one of those teams placed significantly higher than the other team.
"Who's Fettywap?"

sciolyperson1
State: NJ

Postby sciolyperson1 » January 21st, 2019, 8:55 am

To add on to that, they usually pair one new member with a more experienced member. This both motivates the new and old member to study; the old member is more tempted to carry the event, and the new member wants to learn along side the old member.
WW-P HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP - Detector?
Vehicle event medalling streak - 14
Rate my tests!

Return to “2019 Invitationals”