Post by Unome »

EGSC:
1. Lakeside
2. Richmond Hill
3. Augusta Area Homeschoolers

MGSU:
1. GSMST
2. Parkview

(will update with scores once they're out)

Speaking of scores, the state website has ranks and raw scores for past regionals posted.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Georgia 2019

Post by Unome »

Regional predictions for this weekend, as usual I'm predicting up to my guess of the number of state bids,

South Georgia State College:
1. Thomas County - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ they probably aren't getting more than one state bid, and Thomas County looks like the best team here.

Columbus State University:
1. J.C. Booth - Has begun coming to invitationals more than in the last few years. I have no other good reason to put them ahead, but I had to pick someone.
2. Blackmon Road - Perennially strong team, although they've been a little weaker at state in recent years so I placed them behind.
3. Madras - Qualified for state last year, has generally been near the qualification range for a while.

Coweta County:
1. Rising Starr - Probably the strongest team here, especially given their rise last year. Unless the next team becomes particularly strong, I don't think they should have much trouble taking the top spot.
2. East Cobb - Qualified for state for the last two years, and haven't shown any signs of weakening that I'm aware of.
3. Hightower Trail - I'm more willing to predict a recovery from last year after two years in the top 10 at state from Hightower Trail than I am to predict a recovery from Flat Rock after a steady drop. I think those two are most likely to finish 3rd.

Georgia Southern University:
1. Richmond Hill - Kind of hard to predict for these smaller regionals. I picked Richmond Hill because their high school has been doing quite well recently.
2. Thomson - Qualified for state last year. That's my only reason for picking them.

Georgia Tech:
1. South Forsyth - After a succession of strong showings this year, including a 5th place team finish at Brookwood, they should dominate here easily.
2. Woodward Academy - Likely the next strongest team here, and a regular state qualifier. It's plausible that another team could beat them, but I'm sure they'll manage to get in the qualifying spots.
3. Kennesaw Mountain - Has occasionally qualified for state, and don't seem particularly weaker than in the past. Given that there isn't much competition in the region, they should have a good shot at beating other teams like North Gwinnett and Fulton Science Academy.

Gordon State College:
1. Northgate - Remains just as strong as the last few years. Another Northgate win is likely.
2. Whitewater - See below.
3. East Coweta - They were very close to Whitewater last year. I can't think of a particularly good reason to put them above Whitewater though.

Kennesaw State-SPSU:
1. Johns Creek - Seem slightly weaker than last year but still should have no trouble holding off the other teams in this regional.
2. Forsyth Central - Did very well at Brookwood, and can likely improve on their state tournament finish from last year. Will be interesting to see the margins vs. Johns Creek.
3. West Forsyth - A pretty good team that has failed to qualify in the recent past due to questionable team-splitting (see: 2017). They're still very much active, so I think they can beat the remaining teams here.

University of Georgia:
1. Milton - It's a large regional and the top is crowded here, if less so than UNG-Dahlonega. I'm picking Milton for their 4th place finish at Brookwood, and general success at regionals over the last few years.
2. Northview - For some reason I can't find the Brookwood results anywhere... but I'm pretty sure Northview did better than Westminster there, even if I'd rather not underestimate the latter.
3. Westminster - See above.
4. Duluth - Has dropped steadily over the last few years, to the point where I'd say they aren't really competitive with the top three here. That said, they're still a good team that's almost certain to qualify for state.
5. North Springs - I don't think they'll be particularly weaker than last year, but it was a hard choice since North Oconee is still there and I don't know how strong Lambert is right now.

Valdosta State University:
1. Thomas County Central - I know they completely tanked last year, but they've still been pretty good in the past. Hard to justify, but also kind of hard to argue for any of the other teams.
2. Wilcox County - Though they haven't exactly done well at any of the invitationals they went to, they've still been going, and I think the practice will pay off.

Good luck to everyone competing this weekend, I think it's something close to half the state.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by rfscoach »

Georgia Tech Div C Regional Results (unofficial)

1. South Forsyth
2. Fulton Science Academy
3. Woodward Academy
4. Newnan
5. Meadow Creek

South Forsyth, FSA and Woodward advance to State on March 23 at Emory University.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
demir
State: FL

Post by demir »

rfscoach wrote:Georgia Tech Div C Regional Results (unofficial)

1. South Forsyth
3. Woodward Academy
4. Newnan
5. Meadow Creek

South Forsyth, FSA and Woodward advance to State on March 23 at Emory University.
Congratulations!!!
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by rfscoach »

demir wrote:
rfscoach wrote:Georgia Tech Div C Regional Results (unofficial)

1. South Forsyth
3. Woodward Academy
4. Newnan
5. Meadow Creek

Congratulations!!!
Thank you!
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
Unome

Post by Unome »

University of Georgia C:
1. Northview (91)
2. Westminster (96)
3. Milton (104)
4. Duluth (158)
5. Lambert (217)

6. North Oconee (258)
7. Lambert (264)
8. Westminster (269)
9. North Oconee (276)
10. Mountain View (285)
(North Springs finished 15th oof)

Scoresheet

Other than North Springs, the rest went as expected. The order of the top 3 was determined mainly by who had the fewest bombs. Westminster did quite well across the board with 17 medals, but was brought down by a 16th and 17th in two events. Meanwhile Milton had the most gold medals, but also did poorly in a number of events. Northview had no events under 10th place, in addition to a good number of golds and 16 medals. My prediction about Duluth being a ways behind was also accurate. Lambert and North Oconee both likely could have performed better if they were properly stacked.
Userpage

Unome

Post by Unome »

More regional results, with scoresheets. Based on the distribution of state bids, I'm pretty sure we're getting a 30-team Div C state tournament this year, which will be neat.

Georgia Tech C:
1. South Forsyth (102)
2. Fulton Science Academy (131)

3. South Forsyth (137)
4. Woodward Academy (144)
5. Newnan (184)
6. Meadowcreek (187)
7. Kennesaw Mountain (237)
8. Sprayberry (241)
9. North Gwinnett (242)
10. South Cobb (269)
Scoresheet
FSA is clearly stronger than last year - I wasn't certain what to expect, given that my prediction last year on them went awry in the opposite direction. South Forsyth seems about as strong as I would expect, given that they're split. I also didn't know Newnan was that good.

Middle Georgia State University C:
1. GSMST (50)
2. GSMST (85)
3. Parkview (90)
4. Paideia (112)
5. Veterans (178)
Scoresheet - note the ranks/totals for GSMST 2 and GSMST 3 are swapped
Nothing particularly unusual here - GSMST as far away the strongest team won 14 golds. I'm interested to see how strong Parkview will be at state, given the patterns of their feeder Trickum.

Valdosta State University C:
1. Valwood (83)
2. Valdosta (109)

3. Glynn Academy (122)
4. Glynn Academy (145)
5. Wilcox County (155)
Scoresheet
I completely forgot that Valdosta came to invitationals, and with a full team as well. Valwood also should have been an obvious choice, given their history. Thomas County Central is officially dead I guess.

UNG-Gainesville B:
1. South Forsyth (45)
2. McCleskey (69)
3. A.C. Crews (83)

4. South Forsyth (96)
5. Davidson Fine Arts (136)
6. Eagles Home Educators (153)
Scoresheet
Everything as usual here. McCleskey seems to be on the same track as last year, with a good shot at 5th at state. Likewise South Forsyth is still a contender for a Nationals bid, if things go their way at state.

Columbus State University B:
1. Blackmon Road (47)
2. Madras (89)
3. J.C. Booth (99)

4. Blackmon Road (127)
5. J.C. Booth (131)
6. Richards (145)
7. Madras (159)
8. Bremen (162)
Scoresheet
Blackmon Road did very well here, given a similar size and competitiveness as last year, shaving 40 points off of last year's score and only 2 events outside of the top 3. They may be able to recover back to their old strength, although the lack of gold medals makes me hesitant to predict too much for state. Madras beating Booth is impressive but not a major upset or anything.

Georgia Southern University B:
1. Richmond Hill (57)
2. Thomson (70)
3. A.R. Johnson HSEMS (73)

4. Gray Station (109)
Scoresheet
Not much to see here, although I was expecting 2 bids rather than 3, that's a little strange. Of note is that Gray Station No Show'ed 13 events, but took 4th overall by virtue of winning the most gold medals.

East Georgia State College C:
1. Lakeside (85)
2. Richmond Hill (92)
3. Augusta Area Homeschoolers (124)

4. Lakeside (134)
5. Davidson Fine Arts (141)
6. Richmond Hill (184)
7. Davidson Fine Arts (190)
Scoresheet
Richmond Hill came quite close to taking down Lakeside, considering the latter has been a perennial top 10 state team for a long time and almost always wins at regionals. I think it's a combination of Lakeside being weaker and Richmond Hill being stronger. Of note is that Richmond Hill continues to be exceptionally strong in builds - their scores would be among those to watch at state.
Userpage

Unome

Post by Unome »

More regionals results,

Gordon State College C:
1. Whitewater (55)
2. Northgate (67)
3. East Coweta (122)

4. Our Lady of Mercy (125)
5. Sandy Creek (131)
Scoresheet
It's quite impressive that Whitewater was able to beat Northgate, since the latter doesn't look any weaker than in the past. Whitewater looks quite strong, with 10 gold medals to Northgate's 5, which bodes well for state. East Coweta scraped by ahead of two teams that I barely know of and haven't qualified for state in at least several years, so I don't think they'll be a threat at state.

South Georgia State College B:
1. Thomas County (34)
2. Wilcox County (43)
3. Clifton Ridge (98)
4. Valwood (117)
Scoresheet
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ what am I supposed to say? There's only four teams at this regional, not much to comment on given that the winning team finished third to last at state last year.

Based on the pattern of bids, I'm pretty sure that Div C state is going to be either 27 or 30 teams.
Userpage

sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Unome wrote:More regionals results,

Gordon State College C:
1. Whitewater (55)
2. Northgate (67)
3. East Coweta (122)

5. Sandy Creek (131)
Scoresheet
It's quite impressive that Whitewater was able to beat Northgate, since the latter doesn't look any weaker than in the past. Whitewater looks quite strong, with 10 gold medals to Northgate's 5, which bodes well for state. East Coweta scraped by ahead of two teams that I barely know of and haven't qualified for state in at least several years, so I don't think they'll be a threat at state.

1. Thomas County (34)
2. Wilcox County (43)
3. Clifton Ridge (98)
4. Valwood (117)
Scoresheet
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ what am I supposed to say? There's only four teams at this regional, not much to comment on given that the winning team finished third to last at state last year.

Based on the pattern of bids, I'm pretty sure that Div C state is going to be either 27 or 30 teams.
Was Valwood DQed from Mystery and Game On?
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Unome

Post by Unome »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
Unome wrote:More regionals results,

Gordon State College C:
1. Whitewater (55)
2. Northgate (67)
3. East Coweta (122)

5. Sandy Creek (131)
Scoresheet

1. Thomas County (34)
2. Wilcox County (43)
3. Clifton Ridge (98)
4. Valwood (117)
Scoresheet

Was Valwood DQed from Mystery and Game On?
That's what it looks like. I don't know anything about what happened at the tournament though.
Userpage

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”