Georgia 2019

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Georgia 2019

Post by Unome »

Welcome to another season of Georgia Science Olympiad!

State website

Invitationals
Division B:
Forsyth Central - October 27
Dodgen-Walton - November 10
Chattahoochee - December 8
Friendship Christian (TN) - January 12
FSA - January 26

Division C:
Forsyth Central - October 13
UGA - October 20
GSMST-Walton - November 17
CSRA - December 8
Brookwood - January 19

Regionals
Division B:
Forsyth County (at Forsyth Central HS) - February 9
UNG-Gainesville - February 9
South Georgia State College - February 22
Columbus State University - February 23
Georgia Southern University - February 23
Coweta County (at Northgate HS) - March 2
Georgia State University - March 2
Northeast Georgia (at Oconee County HS) - March 2

Division C:
University of North Georgia-Dahlonega - February 2
East Georgia State College - February 16
Middle Georgia State University - February 16
Georgia Tech - February 23
Gordon State College - February 23
Kennesaw State-SPSU - February 23
University of Georgia - February 23
Valdosta State University - February 23
Georgia State University Perimeter College-Clarkston - March 9

State
Hillgrove HS (B) - March 16
Emory University (C) - March 23
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Unome

Re: Georgia 2019

Post by Unome »

Barely three weeks until Forsyth Central C. Looking forward to the start of another tournament season.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Unome

Post by Unome »

Dates for regional and state tournaments released! Updated in the OP.

Based on past timelines, regional choices will probably open within the next few weeks.
Userpage

Unome

Post by Unome »

Unome wrote:Science Olympiad at Georgia Tech is officially up and running! Ye at Georgia Tech can join here!
Userpage

Unome

Post by Unome »

Follow Forsyth Central Awards Ceremony live!

Around 2:30-3:00 PM tomorrow, assuming I get there on time.

By the way, I'm planning on publishing a duplicable version of my tracking spreadsheet eventually.
Userpage

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by rfscoach »

Well, here goes nothin'! Good luck to all the teams at Forsyth Central tomorrow.

Ice cream at Dairy Queen after awards!
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
Unome

Post by Unome »

Now that Forsyth Central is over (see spreadsheet above, I'll link to full scores when they're out), might as well get to commentating on regionals selection, which opened a few days ago.

Columbus State University - Nothing much here. Most of the local teams end up going to this tournament, hence Blackmon Road.
Coweta County - Should be interesting. There are several reputable teams, but no clear-cut strong one.
East Georgia State College - The usual going here. Lakeside would be the favorite to win, as usual.
Forsyth County - FSA returns, and Vickery Creek has moved in from UNG-Gainesville, although I'm not expecting too much from the latter anymore (but we'll see). Taylor Road and River Trail are back again (McCleskey has yet to choose a regional), so this should be an interesting opportunity to compare what is expected to be the second tier of teams in Georgia - although, that description could change!
Georgia Southern University - Not much of note - I don't remember much about how good Richmond Hill's middle school is.
Georgia State University - Dodgen and South Forsyth will be the major players, of course, likely with Campbell close behind.
GPC-Clarkston - McIntosh should be the top team unless Booth's loss hits them really hard. Alpharetta is likely the next-best team here.
Georgia Tech - Walton will run away with it. I don't see any significant challengers in the area yet.
Gordon State College - Northgate is the favorite of course - although there are a few other decent teams here.
Kennesaw State-SPSU - It's barely filled right now, but Johns Creek is the presumptive favorite, likely followed by Forsyth Central.
Middle Georgia State University - GSMST returns after a year at Georgia Tech, and Parkview is back again. This shouldn't be too challenging for them.
Northeast Georgia - There are several contending teams here. Oconee County has fallen behind after a breakout in 2016. Simpson and Henderson are both second-year teams who qualified for state last year, so their performances should be interesting. Loganville is another decent team that stands a shot at qualifying, depending on the strength of everyone else.
South Georgia State College - I have no idea what to say, considering this regional has exactly 1 team right now.
UNG-Dahlonega - Brookwood and Chattahoochee return, as expected, making this basically a race for 3rd. Comparing them will be fun, especially with Chattahoochee's early successes today. River Ridge is likely the favorite for that spot, although it will be interesting to see how Brookwood's and Chattahoochee's second and third teams fare.
UNG-Gainesville - Has shrunk greatly in recent years, to the point where Crews is probably the best team. Eagles Home Educators is good as well, of course, and Bennett's Mill is a frequent state qualifier who has historically competed at Columbus State.
UGA - Has plenty of strong teams, including Milton, Westminster, Northview, Duluth, and South Forsyth. The order of these teams should be interesting.
Valdosta - The new regional this year, which obviously is going to draw mainly from the southern part of the state (seeing as it's located nearly in Florida).
Userpage

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by rfscoach »

Unome wrote:Follow Forsyth Central Awards Ceremony live!

By the way, I'm planning on publishing a duplicable version of my tracking spreadsheet eventually.
So, how do you feel about the statescioly.org scoring system? It was convenient, but it also by passes score counseling...
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
Unome

Post by Unome »

rfscoach wrote:
Unome wrote:Follow Forsyth Central Awards Ceremony live!

So, how do you feel about the statescioly.org scoring system? It was convenient, but it also by passes score counseling...
Essentially my thoughts. It's also rather challenging to enter scores in bulk, since you can't just hit the down arrow key to move to the next team - the only way I've found is to hit tab a bunch of times (although this is inconsistent because of the slight delay, so hitting tab too quickly won't register properly). The embedded build scoresheets are quite a pain to use (radio buttons), especially since they seem to have counterproductive defaults (e.g. for Mission, all of the tasks default to "Yes", so I'd need to change them all to "No" more often that not) and again, no easy way to enter data quickly. I haven't seen any advantages that other systems don't cover just as well. Admittedly, I haven't seen the volunteer handling system, but if it requires every volunteer to create an account I'd have to say SignupGenius does that better too. Edit: A lot of these have been updated to handle these situations.
Userpage

Unome

Post by Unome »

UGA Medal Sheet - 5 PM today!
Userpage

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”