New Jersey 2019

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 798
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Jersey 2019

Post by dxu46 » September 23rd, 2018, 7:02 pm

Unome wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:I feel like SOINC should make the policy that the top 10 states at nationals the previous year get a second team.
I can't count the number of times I've seen this suggestion. If you really have something new to add to it, feel free to start a GC thread.
I can't say I agree with this statement: for example, what about New York B? Gelinas was 11th, so does that mean that their 2nd bid would be taken away? I think a better thing to do would be to have many separate state-like competitions with the same tests, and the 2nd place teams from each state would line up, and whichever states are in the top 10 (2nd place) would get to go to nationals.

sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 685
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: WW-P HSN
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: New Jersey 2019

Post by sciolyperson1 » September 23rd, 2018, 7:44 pm

dxu46 wrote:
Unome wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:I feel like SOINC should make the policy that the top 10 states at nationals the previous year get a second team.
I can't count the number of times I've seen this suggestion. If you really have something new to add to it, feel free to start a GC thread.
I can't say I agree with this statement: for example, what about New York B? Gelinas was 11th, so does that mean that their 2nd bid would be taken away? I think a better thing to do would be to have many separate state-like competitions with the same tests, and the 2nd place teams from each state would line up, and whichever states are in the top 10 (2nd place) would get to go to nationals.
If the NY bid was taken away, it could be replaced by NJ, for example.

And states like Florida would lose their second bid as well, which ups the competitiveness of the tourney.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP

Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17


MIT: Gravity - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, WIDI -1st '20

Rate my tests!

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 798
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Jersey 2019

Post by dxu46 » September 23rd, 2018, 8:11 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
Unome wrote: I can't count the number of times I've seen this suggestion. If you really have something new to add to it, feel free to start a GC thread.
I can't say I agree with this statement: for example, what about New York B? Gelinas was 11th, so does that mean that their 2nd bid would be taken away? I think a better thing to do would be to have many separate state-like competitions with the same tests, and the 2nd place teams from each state would line up, and whichever states are in the top 10 (2nd place) would get to go to nationals.
If the NY bid was taken away, it could be replaced by NJ, for example.

And states like Florida would lose their second bid as well, which ups the competitiveness of the tourney.
Yes, but NY is a very competitive state. I'm not saying that NJ isn't competitive, but I believe my way would work better since it would be a true showdown of skill.

Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 228
Joined: March 12th, 2017, 7:19 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New Jersey 2019

Post by Raleway » September 27th, 2018, 4:43 am

Well maybe you guys were looking for this...?

For schools attending Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament Only:

Due to changes to National Science Olympiad policy, we are required to collect an additional $60 National Science Olympiad registration fee for schools who will be taking more than one team to any specific Invitational Tournament. This fee is for the National Science Olympiad membership fee for your additional team(s) and is not retained by New Jersey Science Olympiad. Separate e-mail communications will be sent to Head Coaches to inquire about which schools are subject to this rule. Additional teams under this rule do count toward New Jersey's membership numbers toward eligibility for additional bids at National Science Olympiad.

I heard very recently that NJ has now capped its regional tournaments due to lack of space with teams on its waitlist. Due to NJ's strong performance nationally and the multitude of strong teams that traditionally place well at competitions, this may give NJ a better chance at getting a second bid. Of course, NJ has always been calling for their second bid due to the big three teams in NJ that are pretty well known to most teams. This, however, does raise the interesting question if this holds for other states as well then as many NJ teams would probably attend the Princeton Invitational.
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman

User avatar
WhatScience?
Member
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 4:03 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Jersey 2019

Post by WhatScience? » September 27th, 2018, 7:08 am

Raleway wrote:Well maybe you guys were looking for this...?

For schools attending Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament Only:

Due to changes to National Science Olympiad policy, we are required to collect an additional $60 National Science Olympiad registration fee for schools who will be taking more than one team to any specific Invitational Tournament. This fee is for the National Science Olympiad membership fee for your additional team(s) and is not retained by New Jersey Science Olympiad. Separate e-mail communications will be sent to Head Coaches to inquire about which schools are subject to this rule. Additional teams under this rule do count toward New Jersey's membership numbers toward eligibility for additional bids at National Science Olympiad.

I heard very recently that NJ has now capped its regional tournaments due to lack of space with teams on its waitlist. Due to NJ's strong performance nationally and the multitude of strong teams that traditionally place well at competitions, this may give NJ a better chance at getting a second bid. Of course, NJ has always been calling for their second bid due to the big three teams in NJ that are pretty well known to most teams. This, however, does raise the interesting question if this holds for other states as well then as many NJ teams would probably attend the Princeton Invitational.
Do you know when second bids are announced?

pb5754
Member
Member
Posts: 464
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: New Jersey 2019

Post by pb5754 » September 27th, 2018, 7:24 am

WhatScience? wrote:
Raleway wrote:Well maybe you guys were looking for this...?

For schools attending Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament Only:

Due to changes to National Science Olympiad policy, we are required to collect an additional $60 National Science Olympiad registration fee for schools who will be taking more than one team to any specific Invitational Tournament. This fee is for the National Science Olympiad membership fee for your additional team(s) and is not retained by New Jersey Science Olympiad. Separate e-mail communications will be sent to Head Coaches to inquire about which schools are subject to this rule. Additional teams under this rule do count toward New Jersey's membership numbers toward eligibility for additional bids at National Science Olympiad.

I heard very recently that NJ has now capped its regional tournaments due to lack of space with teams on its waitlist. Due to NJ's strong performance nationally and the multitude of strong teams that traditionally place well at competitions, this may give NJ a better chance at getting a second bid. Of course, NJ has always been calling for their second bid due to the big three teams in NJ that are pretty well known to most teams. This, however, does raise the interesting question if this holds for other states as well then as many NJ teams would probably attend the Princeton Invitational.
Do you know when second bids are announced?
I'm pretty sure any team who applies for a second invitational-only team can get one.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21

User avatar
WhatScience?
Member
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 4:03 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Jersey 2019

Post by WhatScience? » September 27th, 2018, 3:57 pm

pb5754[] wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
Raleway wrote:Well maybe you guys were looking for this...?

For schools attending Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament Only:

Due to changes to National Science Olympiad policy, we are required to collect an additional $60 National Science Olympiad registration fee for schools who will be taking more than one team to any specific Invitational Tournament. This fee is for the National Science Olympiad membership fee for your additional team(s) and is not retained by New Jersey Science Olympiad. Separate e-mail communications will be sent to Head Coaches to inquire about which schools are subject to this rule. Additional teams under this rule do count toward New Jersey's membership numbers toward eligibility for additional bids at National Science Olympiad.

I heard very recently that NJ has now capped its regional tournaments due to lack of space with teams on its waitlist. Due to NJ's strong performance nationally and the multitude of strong teams that traditionally place well at competitions, this may give NJ a better chance at getting a second bid. Of course, NJ has always been calling for their second bid due to the big three teams in NJ that are pretty well known to most teams. This, however, does raise the interesting question if this holds for other states as well then as many NJ teams would probably attend the Princeton Invitational.
Do you know when second bids are announced?
I'm pretty sure any team who applies for a second invitational-only team can get one.
I meant for nats.

sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 685
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: WW-P HSN
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: New Jersey 2019

Post by sciolyperson1 » September 27th, 2018, 4:31 pm

WhatScience? wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
Do you know when second bids are announced?
I'm pretty sure any team who applies for a second invitational-only team can get one.
I meant for nats.
Oh sorry, my bad.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP

Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17


MIT: Gravity - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, WIDI -1st '20

Rate my tests!

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4254
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: New Jersey 2019

Post by Unome » September 27th, 2018, 4:43 pm

WhatScience? wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
Do you know when second bids are announced?
I'm pretty sure any team who applies for a second invitational-only team can get one.
I meant for nats.
Early March to early April. I would bet against NJ getting a second bid.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 685
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: WW-P HSN
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: New Jersey 2019

Post by sciolyperson1 » September 27th, 2018, 6:10 pm

Unome wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
pb5754[] wrote: I'm pretty sure any team who applies for a second invitational-only team can get one.
I meant for nats.
Early March to early April. I would bet against NJ getting a second bid.

Yeah, I don't think that would happen. We'll need 100+ more teams in order to have a chance at a 2nd bid.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP

Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17


MIT: Gravity - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, WIDI -1st '20

Rate my tests!

Post Reply

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests