State: GA

Re: Pennsylvania 2019

Post by Unome » April 27th, 2019, 6:18 pm

CrayolaCrayon wrote:Woah

1. Harriton
2. Bayard Rustin
3. Lower Merion
4. Cumberland Valley
What's so surprising about this? Something in the rest of the rankings?
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

kate!
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by kate! » April 27th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Unome wrote:
CrayolaCrayon wrote:Woah

1. Harriton
2. Bayard Rustin
3. Lower Merion
4. Cumberland Valley
What's so surprising about this? Something in the rest of the rankings?
No, he's from Rustin and probably is shocked that he made it (especially since it was so close).
Two years ago I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Last year I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and more experiments, yay again!
Now I know stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils, yay for the third time!

Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly » April 27th, 2019, 6:35 pm

What I really loved was seeing a lot of the springhouse team come and congratulate Harlan Rowe for making it to nationals personally. i heard someone go “congratulations guys for making it to nats! i’m from springhouse and looking forward to seeing you there”
truly heartwarming
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 27th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Anomaly wrote:What I really loved was seeing a lot of the springhouse team come and congratulate Harlan Rowe for making it to nationals personally. i heard someone go “congratulations guys for making it to nats! i’m from springhouse and looking forward to seeing you there”
truly heartwarming
That's awesome

Sc1olygod
Has thanked: 0

Post by Sc1olygod » April 27th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Anomaly wrote:What I really loved was seeing a lot of the springhouse team come and congratulate Harlan Rowe for making it to nationals personally. i heard someone go “congratulations guys for making it to nats! i’m from springhouse and looking forward to seeing you there”
truly heartwarming
Watching lower merion clap for harriton after getting third themselves was a pure class act as well
"who's littywap?"

Giantpants
Division: Grad
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Giantpants » April 27th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Congrats to Springhouse, Harlan Rowe, Harriton, and Rustin on qualifying! Also congrats to all the other teams on competing at states in a competitive year.
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

2020 Events: Dynamic Planet, Geologic Mapping, Sounds of Music, Astronomy
Giantpants's Userpage

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Been thanked: 0

Post by dxu46 » April 27th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Rip everyone's predictions...

Selundar
State: IL

Post by Selundar » April 27th, 2019, 9:28 pm

dxu46 wrote:Rip everyone's predictions...
lol yeah my C predictions are dead. I don't remember exactly what I put but I remember predicting a couple upsets for div B so maybe I actually did ok.
aeshs '21

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » April 28th, 2019, 6:18 am

kate! wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
waffletree wrote:1. Springhouse (92)
2. Harlan Rowe (101)
3. Bala Cynwyd (108)
4. Shady Side Academy (116)
This is the closest state tournament I’ve seen, especially with these 4 extremely competitive teams duking it out for two spots. I’m disappointed for SSA and Bala, as I was rooting for them both :cry: , but I’m sure Springhouse and Harlan will both represent PA at nationals very well.
This is definitely going to free up a top 10 or maybe top 15 spot, considering that Harlan Rowe has no nationals experience and seems to be propelled mainly by their consistency/talented build competitors; however I'm not sure if that's enough for a top 15 finish at nationals.
I don't think it frees up a top 10 spot, as I don't think anyone besides Springhouse was going to get top 10 anyway. I could see Harlan squeeze into the top 15 just because of the short distance to nationals, which could make just enough difference between 17th and 15th (they're closer than some of the New York teams).
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

SonicSpeed
Division: B

Post by SonicSpeed » April 28th, 2019, 7:05 am

Big rip for me in states...
It is my first year of Science Olympiad as a 6th grader, but I don't know if I could have done better...?
Though my performance was not so good, I did like how states worked and I enjoyed the whole event. Here is a list of my events and my results,
  • ELG: 5th place
    Game On: 6th place
    Road Scholar: 6th place
    Heredity....: 17th place....
So... you look at my Heredity placement and you think, "eeeh... that's not good," and I completely understand why. You see, I'm not going to say bad things about my partner because he is my friend, but I always carry him in the Invitationals and the Regional and State competition. For any of you who took the Heredity test, you would know about Station 4. Station 4 was not very difficult, but my I was on my own. We are both in 6th grade, so we both aren't very good. This happened with all of the other tests, and he only answers a few questions, some of them were not even correct. I am not making my partner an excuse for 17th place, for I myself could have prepared harder, (but choose not to) but it really made me sad, and I wanted to medal in all 4 of my events, but I am still happy with 3. 6.5/10

I think I have talked about Heredity enough. Now it is time for Road Scholar, which went ok for me. So, no bad partner this time, and he is 9th grader, even better than me. I take the theory Qs, topo and road maps as my part, and he does profiling and the student drawn map (SDM). My partner is extremely good at profiling and SDM which gets us placements in our competitions. Me, however, requires a bit of assistance here and then from him, but I handle most of the questions by myself. He finishes profiling and SDM in roughly 15-20 mins, and then he helps me. I really like my partner, and I am sad that he is leaving the team due to him being a 9th grader this year. He was happy about placing in the event in 6th place, and I am happy too. I am not complaining about Road Scholar, but I wonder who will be insane enough to do it with me next year... 9/10

In Game On, I wasn't exactly satisfied with our 6th place, but at least we medaled. So, my partner is a 7th grader, and we are close friends, but he decided that he wanted to try something new, and that... did not turn out right? I guess. Anyway, we ran out of time, but we did finish the game. So after the event, we were so anxious about our performance, but we did place and medaled as 6th place. We definitely could have done better, considering our score difference from my regional score (which I am too much of a chicken to reveal). 7/10

Elastic Launched Glider was pretty good, but not the best. With our A model, we were getting 18-19 seconds in our gym, which had a lower ceiling. Unfortunately, our model only got 16 secs each as our three bets flights, and we got the 20% bonus. We didn't know what happened to our model, or if it somehow got damaged inside our boxes, but we could have gotten away with 4th or 3rd. It also was very funny, because during our run, we missed a Wright Stuff model by literally a few centimeters, and that nearly through us off. I am happy with 5th place, and I look forward to gliders next year. 10/10

Those are all my events and what happened for me in them. For my first year, I think I did OK. I will definitely try harder and study more next season, for mine is over. Overall: 7.875/10
Last edited by SonicSpeed on April 28th, 2019, 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SOnIcSpeed[*][/u][/i][/color]
Grade:6
Orefield MS
Total medals/ribbons-9
Road Scholar- 3
ELG-2
Game On!-3
Heredity-1
Years in SO-2018-2019
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Invitationals: 3 Regionals: 1 States: 1

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”