Pennsylvania 2019

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Pennsylvania 2019

Post by Unome »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
TheCrazyChemist wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote: My concern with that split is in Division B. If you draw those geographic lines, the Montco/Phila region has only 7 teams. It would have Bala Cynwyd and Welsh Valley, but it lacks the same depth of schools as Chester/Delaware. If you put Chester in with Montco/Phila, then you get a region of 13 teams, with 10 in Delaware County, which is theoretically fine. But you also end up with a 10-team Delaware County region in Division C, which would be the smallest C regional by far. And trying to add Bucks back into the mix makes essentially no difference, as only 1 Bucks school competed in Division B this year.

Now, it is possible to split a region geographically in one division and not the other. Western Long Island did that in NY, splitting in C but remaining intact in B. If splitting by division is not a route PASO wants to go in, this may be the next best bet. Keep SEPA intact for B division, but split apart SEPA C division into two (roughly) balanced regions, each with 4 bids. It wouldn't have the same cache in SO circles as a giant region of death, but it would at least not change the competitive balance too significantly.

PS: Shameless plug for my map, which was really helpful in figuring this out
Why would splitting by division not be something PASO would want to do? Logistics of tournaments? Anyways, that map is really cool and it really helps anyone who is not familiar with SEPA specifically see why it's a bloodbath. At least it did for me. But those regions all are regionals, right?
It's just not something they've done in the past. Perhaps there are logistical benefits to allowing school districts to only need to plan for one date instead of two. But I think that is my preferred option, in my opinion.

And yes, each region is its own regional in that map.
Delaware/Philadelphia, and Chester/Montgomery/Bucks. That leaves a pretty good spread of competitive teams to tournament size in both divisions, while also avoiding too many small regionals. Yeah we have an 8-team B regional, but that's not too different than CE B (and it's not nearly as top-heavy).

I agree that splitting only in C is probably an easier way to do this though.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Unome wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
TheCrazyChemist wrote: Why would splitting by division not be something PASO would want to do? Logistics of tournaments? Anyways, that map is really cool and it really helps anyone who is not familiar with SEPA specifically see why it's a bloodbath. At least it did for me. But those regions all are regionals, right?
It's just not something they've done in the past. Perhaps there are logistical benefits to allowing school districts to only need to plan for one date instead of two. But I think that is my preferred option, in my opinion.

And yes, each region is its own regional in that map.
Delaware/Philadelphia, and Chester/Montgomery/Bucks. That leaves a pretty good spread of competitive teams to tournament size in both divisions, while also avoiding too many small regionals. Yeah we have an 8-team B regional, but that's not too different than CE B (and it's not nearly as top-heavy).

I agree that splitting only in C is probably an easier way to do this though.
I could also be on board with that split. It would be a little more lopsided in C, since you'd have 6 2019 state-qualifying teams in one regional and 2 in the other, but it's at least functional. A 15-team C regional would be a bit small for PA, but it might work in terms of attracting more Philadelphia city teams.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
nendawen
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

PASO Alumni Network

Post by nendawen »

There is a push right now by PASO to connect up with Alumni. Share with everyone you know that has been involved with PASO the following link and join today.

https://www.facebook.com/PASOAlumni/
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Any more details on the whole splitting SEPA issue?
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Any more details on the whole splitting SEPA issue?
this has nothing to do with it but i had the weirdest dream last night in which like some teams in SE got moved to CE (only team i can still remember is rustin) and we got DEMOLISHED by the SEPA teams and didn’t make states.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Umaroth »

Anomaly wrote:
this has nothing to do with it but i had the weirdest dream last night in which like some teams in SE got moved to CE (only team i can still remember is rustin) and we got DEMOLISHED by the SEPA teams and didn’t make states.
BREAKING NEWS: Bayard Rustin High School uses 2019 2nd place nats Wright Stuff plane to lift entire school and relocate to CE Regional
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
CrayolaCrayon

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

Umaroth wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
BREAKING NEWS: Bayard Rustin High School uses 2019 2nd place nats Wright Stuff plane to lift entire school and relocate to CE Regional

The school's weight is only a tad more ballast.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
Pettywap
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Pettywap »

CrayolaCrayon wrote:
Umaroth wrote:
Anomaly wrote: this has nothing to do with it but i had the weirdest dream last night in which like some teams in SE got moved to CE (only team i can still remember is rustin) and we got DEMOLISHED by the SEPA teams and didn’t make states.

nothing a 3 hour and 12 min plane couldn't handle
"Who's Fettywap?"
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

Pettywap wrote:
CrayolaCrayon wrote:
Umaroth wrote: BREAKING NEWS: Bayard Rustin High School uses 2019 2nd place nats Wright Stuff plane to lift entire school and relocate to CE Regional

I got draft rules for next year and the bonus is 1000x multiplier for flight time while carrying a brick.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

builderguy135 wrote:
Pettywap wrote:
CrayolaCrayon wrote:

I got draft rules for next year and the bonus is 1000x multiplier for flight time while carrying a brick.
it should be for carrying the school :o
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”