I think the top 3 will be very close.
aeshs '21
Giantpants
Division: Grad
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Ohio 2019

Post by Giantpants »

So given that states are today, ig I'll give some predictions for my top 4 for Division C cause I'm bored haha

1. Solon - Solon's performance at their own invitational was great, beating New Trier handily. While Mason appeared relatively unstacked at this tournament, Solon's victory is not to be discounted, given their impressive performance at Centerville. (Yes, I know Mason wasn't there, cursed imclement weather skewing predictions) The Centerville victory came against strong Centerville teams, as well as an impressive superscore victory over Centerville. At Westlake they took 3rd and 4th, which comes as they were seemingly unstacked compared to Centerville and Mason. And there was Southview, where Solon beat Centerville. Also, don't forget Cornell. Their performance was impressive, even if it was hurt by a few bad placings. Particularly in an event like Sounds of Music, I bet their consistently good performances at invitationals will show, rather than one poor showing.

2. Mason - I was initially going to place Mason in third based on their defeats to Centerville and Solon throughout the season. However, seeing West Liberty Salem's results, my mind was changed. Mason defeated Centerville and Solon (although there were issues with scoring initially) by a nice margin, and though I am not sure of how stacked Centerville was (it looks relatively unstacked based on results but idk for sure). Combine that result with a 3rd/6th at Solon as well as a nice 2nd at Westlake for what I think we can expect to see from them at states. Also? 2nd at SOUP?? Yeah they were far from Troy but to me the fact that they got that close to Troy is a huge accomplishment, and is definitely NOT to be discounted, even if we can't directly contrast it with Solon or Centerville's performance here. If only they could've gone to Centerville we'd have another instance of West Liberty Salem. (tbf we were at that invitational and it was snowing for a whiiiile so its good that a bunch of teams were still able to go ofc!)

3. Centerville - This is a tough call but I'm gonna do it. Centerville beat Mason at Westlake, with both being stacked, Their three teams have been a dominant force throughout Ohio all year, leading to some nice superscores, so it will be interesting to see how they can combine their scores into one super team. I really don't know if they will defeat Mason, but if I had to bet, I'd choose that Mason will defeat Centerville (it will undoubtedly be close haha)

4. Mentor - Don't get me wrong, Mentor has definitely done well this year. However, at most of the invitationals, their placings have just been behind those of their rivals (Westlake, Solon, West Liberty Salem). They did well at Northmont, defeating Mason, and there's Northview, where they beat the Solon teams (although both Mason and Solon were apparently comprised of newer members? Idk), but other competitions just have them behind. They could definitely pull something out, but based on past results, this is how I think they'll finish.

Did I get them right? Completely wrong? I guess we will see later today. Anything could happen, these great four teams have turned in great results all season, and they all have a lot to be proud of. But yeah, hard work can top statistics, so we will see what happens. Also thanks to uictoria1 for posting these results and making them really organized and condensed, it was a huge help writing this.

Best of luck to everyone in both divisions at states tomorrow (today?) and I can't wait to see the results!
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

Events I'm Writing in 2023: Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals
Events I've Written in Years Past: Geologic Mapping, Remote Sensing
Giantpants's Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Will a spreadsheet be made?
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
RoboMarth
State: OH

Post by RoboMarth »

Have one set up one here if anyone wants to make a copy and run it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =239318906

Edit: I'll be running this one live on location. Awards are scheduled to start at 18:30.
Last edited by RoboMarth on April 27th, 2019, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
masterWIZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by masterWIZ »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I will be updating this with the live stream. It is open for anyone to edit.
Mr. Builder :) :)
masterWIZ

Post by masterWIZ »

The link to the live stream on the Ohio SO website wasn't working for me (not sure if that's the case for anyone else). The live stream can be found here:

https://youtu.be/tyiAVDOv2OU
Mr. Builder :) :)
sciencekid27

Post by sciencekid27 »

This is shaping up to be a very close one! Who's gonna win?
1/3 inquirer, 1/3 studier, 1/6 lab-doer, and 1/6 builder
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

sciencekid27 wrote:This is shaping up to be a very close one! Who's gonna win?
My bet is on whichever team bombed WIDI least :lol:
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ