Michigan 2019

BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Michigan 2019

Post by BennyTheJett »

I don't know much about Pioneer. Northville should do well. Surprised me that Grand Haven fell so far though.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
lakersfan2012
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by lakersfan2012 »

BennyTheJett wrote:I don't know much about Pioneer. Northville should do well. Surprised me that Grand Haven fell so far though.
I wouldn't say they fell too much. Despite placing 4th, they still were less than 40 points off from 2nd. On top of that, a lot of the tests were either a bit too easy or poorly written (for example, some of my students reflected that the herpetology test was the same test used last year for both Div B & C). I think they had a rough day and might have been a bit unlucky on some of their events, but I wouldn't say they were any weaker than Pioneer or Troy.
My user name is proof I was a Lakers fan before LeBron

4 years Div C - WI
6 years coaching - WI
1 year coaching (and counting) - MI
0ddrenaline

Post by 0ddrenaline »

For the 2020 season, Michigan Science Olympiad will allow teams to register 17 members for any competition within the state.
Source: http://miscioly.org/more-of-a-good-thing-team-size-17/

Personal thoughts:
This decreases the average number of events per member from 3.27 to 2.88. My teams were always evenly balanced, so that means about 11 people with 3 events, and 4 people with 4 events. With 17 members, a balanced team would look like 15 members with 3 events, and 2 people with 2 events.

So that means less pressure is put onto students. This also improves inclusiveness. On the other hand, it might be more difficult for smaller schools to find 17 members. Although, I believe that 15 member teams could still be competitive against 17 member teams. If a team likes having 15 members, nothing is preventing them from doing so.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

0ddrenaline wrote:For the 2020 season, Michigan Science Olympiad will allow teams to register 17 members for any competition within the state.

Personal thoughts:
This decreases the average number of events per member from 3.27 to 2.88. My teams were always evenly balanced, so that means about 11 people with 3 events, and 4 people with 4 events. With 17 members, a balanced team would look like 15 members with 3 events, and 2 people with 2 events.

So that means less pressure is put onto students. This also improves inclusiveness. On the other hand, it might be more difficult for smaller schools to find 17 members. Although, I believe that 15 member teams could still be competitive against 17 member teams. If a team likes having 15 members, nothing is preventing them from doing so.
Dang, Michigan really pulling an NJ.

NJ uses 18, however, there's 2 trial events that also count towards the team score (these two can be done by students outside of the 18). However, we have 5 time blocks, and conflicts which arise from them. As such, we use our normal 15 person team, plus one (or sometimes two) 'alternates" to do our conflicting events. We've also never had issues with our team struggling due to having less members.

Just want to add that in '18, we had to cut one member from our states team for our nats team (16 to 15, none were alternates). As such, if you expect to make nats, please, please don't use 17. You'll need to cut two from the team eventually, and it causes a lot of drama for the team later on (if you make nats)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
meierfra
Coach
Coach
Division: C

Post by meierfra »

0ddrenaline wrote:For the 2020 season, Michigan Science Olympiad will allow teams to register 17 members for any competition within the state.
I think the State got some complaints when they made the state tournament only 5 time blocks last year. With 3 events with 3 team members, you could easily have 12 or even 15 students in one time block. I'm guessing they again want to have the state tournament in 5 blocks and they want to make it a little easier for teams.

But I do agree it's going to make it more difficult for smaller schools/teams.
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by AlfWeg »

sciolyperson1 wrote: Dang, Michigan really pulling an NJ.

NJ uses 18, however, there's 2 trial events that also count towards the team score (these two can be done by students outside of the 18). However, we have 5 time blocks, and conflicts which arise from them. As such, we use our normal 15 person team, plus one (or sometimes two) 'alternates" to do our conflicting events. We've also never had issues with our team struggling due to having less members.

Just want to add that in '18, we had to cut one member from our states team for our nats team (16 to 15, none were alternates). As such, if you expect to make nats, please, please don't use 17. You'll need to cut two from the team eventually, and it causes a lot of drama for the team later on (if you make nats)
Yes, I agree, I see a whole lot of problems with having to cut people if a team makes nats. I really hope that trial events won't count in scores...my team has never taken them seriously. If they aren't counted for scores, I’m guessing most teams will stick with 15.....
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”