Illinois 2019

TheCrazyChemist
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Illinois 2019

Post by TheCrazyChemist »

Congradulations to DWJHS, Marie Murphy, New Trier, and Stevenson!
Pastaman202
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Pastaman202 »

19alekb wrote:some kids from whitney said that they challenged the event and were told that it got thrown out. they said that there was a lot of issues with the grading or something like that.
Same from DW

I'm not in the event so this is what i think happened.
They were to build a bridge with some stuff and had like 3 cups as well and they had to hold a certain weight and have a long bridge. a bunch of teams then build a MASSIVE bridge and just held all the weight with the cups.... somehow the proctors allowed that and a bunch of teams arbitrated the event so it was thrown out.
sciencepeeps

Post by sciencepeeps »

Pastaman202 wrote:
19alekb wrote:some kids from whitney said that they challenged the event and were told that it got thrown out. they said that there was a lot of issues with the grading or something like that.
Same from DW

I'm not in the event so this is what i think happened.
They were to build a bridge with some stuff and had like 3 cups as well and they had to hold a certain weight and have a long bridge. a bunch of teams then build a MASSIVE bridge and just held all the weight with the cups.... somehow the proctors allowed that and a bunch of teams arbitrated the event so it was thrown out.
This makes sense. Last year in mystery architecture, we found a lot of “loopholes” in the rules. Usually the requirement of a bridge is that the bridge has to support the load in between two supports. Instead of putting it in the middle (weak) we put it really close to the cup support (a lot stronger). This worked with the rules, but putting the load right on the cup (like some teams apparently) does not follow he rules. Overall I think mystery architecture can be really messed up if done wrong, which is pretty common.
I heard that the specific rules (what all of the teams got) said that the kid had to be IN BETWEEN the two supports.
18/19 Anatomy, Boomilever, widi

17/18 region/state/nation
Anatomy (2/6/-)
Mystery Architecture (-/2/-)
Towers (3/2/3)
Invitationals: 38
Regionals:11
State:6
Nationals:1
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

I gotta say this was one of the most fun states I've had in my 4 years of SciOly. I got second place in Boomilever, fifth place in XPD, and on top of all of this, I got to witness one of the most intense ISO state competitions in a decade. :D Congrats to the teams that have qualified!
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

Scores for easy reference:
Div B Scores
Div C Scores
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

antoine_ego wrote:Scores for easy reference:
Div B Scores
Div C Scores
Marie Murphy has nothing on Daniel Wright. I expect Nationals will end up much like 2016 did (though I think Daniel Wright is weaker than they were at that time).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

Unome wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:Scores for easy reference:
Div B Scores
Div C Scores
Marie Murphy has nothing on Daniel Wright. I expect Nationals will end up much like 2016 did (though I think Daniel Wright is weaker than they were at that time).
I doubt it. While Daniel Wright got a lot of firsts, they're not very consistent. Marie Murphy got 3 firsts (one of them being the one that made them lose last year LOL), but the rest (save Game On, Thermo, and WIDI) are consistently medaling. Consistency is key; after all, that's what brought a lot of teams down (like Bay Academy this year, Beckendorff at nats 2018, probably more that i'm not thinking of)
19alekb
Division: B

Post by 19alekb »

daniel wright will get more national medals than us, but we might do better overall because of consistency.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

19alekb wrote:daniel wright will get more national medals than us, but we might do better overall because of consistency.
I honestly think that both teams will get the same amount of medals but Marie Murphy might do a little better IF THEY DON'T BOMB.

Marie, looking at the IL scores, was much less consistent. 3 bombs led MM to take 2nd, rather than 1st. DW only had 1 bomb.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
Giventhenumbers

Post by Giventhenumbers »

Agreed with dxu46 and alexb, Consistency means everything. For example, at Solon invitational S&A got 5th. However, there were ~6 more teams with medals than them. What got them ahead was their consistency.
But this tournament proved how hard it is to have consistency against top teams. In the B division (and maybe C I dunno) there were events where nobody from the top expected four (DW, MM, S&A, TG) did not place. It was quite awesome, seeing teams that I didn’t expect much from rise up to the top (Good job woodland and Woodlawn, Congrats on your success.) i might watch the nationals this year to see how it ends.

Unfortunately, this is my last year with a chance to nats, and maybe even state since the team at my high school isn’t very strong. It was fun division B, it was fun....
good luck everyone else!
Herpetology is my specialty, 20+ medals. :geek:

GO SCIENCE AND ARTS ACADEMY!! (And everyone else)

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”