North Carolina 2019

jennarholt
Division: C
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Carolina 2019

Post by jennarholt »

ascioly wrote:States was overall amazing. I am from WAAS and the awards ceremony was very tense, at least for us - it felt like Robinson was going to take second as they were placing consistently higher in the events they were placing in, so getting second was a big surprise. Overall so excited to go to nationals for the first time, and so proud that a school of sixty middle schoolers was able to make it this far! Speaking of nationals, does anyone have any advice for it? It's very new territory for us, so anything will help (ie what to do before the events start, the main competition/who has perviously won, ext.).

Also exciting that top four teams will make it to nationals next year! I'll be competing in division C, so any advice on that would also be highly appreciated.
Proud of you guys! I'm from SCMS, and we only placed in two things (which I was in both, so I guess I should be grateful). Can't say I can help with nationals, but good luck! You guys did r e a l l y well!!
2023: Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Cell Biology
2022: Rocks and Minerals (R.2nd, St. 3rd)
>2021: Fossils was the love of my life. Some days I can still hear its call...
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Post by venules »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Edit: so Venules, who won the prediction contest? Well, was it a contest?
Tails won by default for B, as he was the only voter who provided a username. He scored 33 points; Piedmont, WAAS, and Smith were all placed in the correct spots. Jay M. Robinson, Carnage, and Randolph were all off by one place.

For C, the rankings are as follows:
1. Alex - 34
2. Tails - 28
3. krasabnk - 25
4. anonymous - 24
5. Adi - 16

Congrats to all who participated!
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
Reckless57

Post by Reckless57 »

I'm really happy that my team, West Cary Middle, placed 9th in States after coming to States for the first time. Everyone worked really hard in our team and we got 3 gold medals, which is much better than I expected! I also placed first in Division B Disease Detectives, which is a dream come true!
2021 Events: TBD

2020 Events:
Protein Modeling: 1st National Ready regionals
WQ: 3rd National Ready regionals

2019 Events: (Div B)
Boom: 4th Regionals
Heredity: 3rd States
WIDI: 3rd Regionals
DD: 1st States :)
EXP Design: 2nd States
jennarholt

Post by jennarholt »

Reckless57 wrote:I'm really happy that my team, West Cary Middle, placed 9th in States after coming to States for the first time. Everyone worked really hard in our team and we got 3 gold medals, which is much better than I expected! I also placed first in Division B Disease Detectives, which is a dream come true!
Good job!! Our school has been to states twice, yet we never manage to place much. Yall are awesome!!
2023: Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Cell Biology
2022: Rocks and Minerals (R.2nd, St. 3rd)
>2021: Fossils was the love of my life. Some days I can still hear its call...
megrimlockawesom

Post by megrimlockawesom »

Whoa NCSSM got 1st! neat!

also :crab: Carnage is Gone :crab:

Other than that pretty much what I expected aside from a surprisingly good performance from JMR
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute
ascioly
Division: B

Post by ascioly »

jennarholt wrote:
ascioly wrote:States was overall amazing. I am from WAAS and the awards ceremony was very tense, at least for us - it felt like Robinson was going to take second as they were placing consistently higher in the events they were placing in, so getting second was a big surprise. Overall so excited to go to nationals for the first time, and so proud that a school of sixty middle schoolers was able to make it this far! Speaking of nationals, does anyone have any advice for it? It's very new territory for us, so anything will help (ie what to do before the events start, the main competition/who has perviously won, ext.).

Also exciting that top four teams will make it to nationals next year! I'll be competing in division C, so any advice on that would also be highly appreciated.
Proud of you guys! I'm from SCMS, and we only placed in two things (which I was in both, so I guess I should be grateful). Can't say I can help with nationals, but good luck! You guys did r e a l l y well!!
Tysm! Honestly placing at states individually is amazing and literally the best feeling ever, so congrats!
Competitor in Anatomy (6th - states), Solar System (1st - states), & WIDI (7th - regionals). WAAS team captain. Love the random stuff floating around in space. Overall pessimist.
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by venules »

Guess it's time for one last revival of this thread.

2019 things: WAAS outplaced Piedmont by a few points at nationals, and they're pretty on par with previous national placings for NC teams. Piedmont's performance is definitely surprising. Enloe placed 13th and NCSSM placed 26th, which is pretty consistent with past results.

2020 things: Dates for O'Neal (12/14) and Duke (1/18/20) have already been released, as well as the state tournament (4/24-25). It doesn't seem like the CPCC invitational is returning to Division B anytime soon. Coaches' Clinic is October 4-5, 2019.

Does anyone have any predictions for the upcoming season? (i.e. what nats will be like, how will teams fare, etc.)
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
TheCrazyChemist

Post by TheCrazyChemist »

venules wrote:Guess it's time for one last revival of this thread.

2019 things: WAAS outplaced Piedmont by a few points at nationals, and they're pretty on par with previous national placings for NC teams. Piedmont's performance is definitely surprising.
Oh yeah, do you people from NC know what happened to Piedmont? They were doing so well during invitational season, and then in my opinion, they completely flopped at nats. I mean, they beat many teams by a lot at the Cornell invitational, and then those teams beat them by a lot at nationals.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

TheCrazyChemist wrote:

2019 things: WAAS outplaced Piedmont by a few points at nationals, and they're pretty on par with previous national placings for NC teams. Piedmont's performance is definitely surprising.
Oh yeah, do you people from NC know what happened to Piedmont? They were doing so well during invitational season, and then in my opinion, they completely flopped at nats. I mean, they beat many teams by a lot at the Cornell invitational, and then those teams beat them by a lot at nationals.
Maybe they used their B team.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by Anomaly »

builderguy135 wrote:
TheCrazyChemist wrote:

Maybe they used their B team.
Yes. They used their B team at nats. Definitely. I don't see why anyone wouldn't do such a thing. :P
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”