North Carolina 2019

krasabnk
Division: Grad
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Carolina 2019

Post by krasabnk »

venules wrote:Prediction forms will be open from 3pm on Friday, April 12th, until the beginning of opening ceremonies on Friday, April 26th at 5pm. If enough people respond, we can make this a contest (using the same points rules as other states, i.e. 5 points for correct placing, 4 points if it's one off, etc.), but for now it's non-committal.
Just submitted my predictions... it's difficult to choose between Enloe and NCSSM because both of them have done very well in their respective regionals and invitationals. I believe Enloe went to MIT and performed very well, so that was my first choice. Also, their score wasn't that far off of NCSSM's score in National Ready. I would love to see North Meck make it to the nationals this year, but it's very unlikely with Enloe and NCSSM completely dominating the top spots...

This is my first time making predictions. Are teams that go to nationals teams that are based off groups or does the committee look at the top scorers in the individual category?
DaVinci's Dragons 2019, NCSU '23
[b]2019: [/b]
regionals/states
 <3 Herpetology: 1/3
 :evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
 :?: Experimental Design -/19

[b]2018: [/b]
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
 :?: Disease Detectives: 4/19
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

venules wrote: The 2018 thread was definitely more active than this year's. However, the years prior were pretty quiet and NC users aren't very active in general.
:cry:
Too true. I haven't checked in to scioly.org in about a month, but I'm glad you've been keeping up with the NC thread!
krasabnk wrote:This is my first time making predictions. Are teams that go to nationals teams that are based off groups or does the committee look at the top scorers in the individual category?
Not sure exactly what you mean by that last question, but the teams that go to nationals are the top 2 teams from each division. A person can not go to nationals unless their entire team places top-2, no matter how well they may do individually.

I just submitted my C predictions; they are admittedly ill-informed beyond the top 4. I think John T Hoggard might be a dark horse this year. They got 2nd at their regionals last year yet they managed to get 6th at states. This year they won their regionals, and while I don't know the score, that could be a sign of improvement.

As usual, it feels like the bids are Enloe's and NCSSM's to lose. However, recent years have shown that other teams certainly have a chance, especially considering NCSSM has performed below expectations at states in the past. I think RCHS has a decent chance to make it back to nationals, but it will require a lot of hard work, and it will depend on the performance of NCSSM. I think North Mecklenberg has the next best chance, but the Duke results showed that they aren't quite there yet. Still, Duke was way earlier in the season than they're used to competing (I think Charlotte's regional tournament is usually around mid March, whereas the Raleigh-area teams are used to competing in early February), so anything could happen.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
krasabnk

Post by krasabnk »

Alex-RCHS wrote: Not sure exactly what you mean by that last question, but the teams that go to nationals are the top 2 teams from each division. A person can not go to nationals unless their entire team places top-2, no matter how well they may do individually.
I think what I meant by top scorers was by top teams (scorers) - wasn't clear enough. I was a bit confused at first but I understand the process now.

It's good to see you back on the forums! I was not as active last year but I found what you posted to be quite helpful. I hope you enjoy supervising at states if that's what you plan on doing!
Alex-RCHS wrote:I think John T Hoggard might be a dark horse this year.
I was surprised that Hoggard reached as high as 6th last year. This year when they won the Wilmington Regionals, they scored a 72. That is compared to the next 2 places in the Wilmington Regionals, Isaac Bear and Laney, which scored 114 and 149 respectively. They definitely have a chance of making the top 5 at states this year.
regionals/states

regionals/ states
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

States is tomorrow! :o :o :o

It feels like regionals was just yesterday.

Anyone have any thoughts/predictions for tomorrow? I'm going to post some predictions tonight maybe...
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
krasabnk

Post by krasabnk »

Got first in the Parade of Champions spirit award! Our coach also won coach of the year for Div C, so proud of her :D Good luck to all those competing tomorrow, the opening ceremony was great!
regionals/states

regionals/ states
Selundar
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Selundar »

Is there a spreadsheet/livestream?
aeshs '21
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:North Carolina
B
1. Piedmont (102)
2. Wilmington Academy of Arts and Sciences (168)
3. Jay M. Robinson
4. Fred J. Carnage

C
1. NCSSM (143)
2. William G. Enloe (144)
3. Raleigh Charter (221)
4. North Mecklenburg
5. East Chapel Hill
Wow, that's quite an upset in C! Only a one-point margin?
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:North Carolina
B
1. Piedmont (102)
2. Wilmington Academy of Arts and Sciences (168)
3. Jay M. Robinson
4. Fred J. Carnage

C
1. NCSSM (143)
2. William G. Enloe (144)
3. Raleigh Charter (221)
4. North Mecklenburg
5. East Chapel Hill
Wow, that's quite an upset in C! Only a one-point margin?
A bit of an upset yes, but NCSSM has looked strong so far and always bounces back after a tough loss. Also, Enloe lost a bunch of seniors and some sophomores transferred to NCSSM (every year almost, RCHS and Enloe lose 1-3 sophomores to NCSSM).

It'll be interesting to see if NCSSM can turn this into success at nats.

Edit: 4 pages on the NC thread already?? Awesome!
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
krasabnk

Post by krasabnk »

Great job to everyone who competed! I was able to place 3rd in Herpetology in a team that hardly medalled so that felt amazing.

I'm pretty surprised with all of these close wins, it'd be interesting to see if NCSSM can place well at nationals. As for WAAS, big congrats to them for making it to nationals for the first time (I believe)! It was a big deal for them and their coach was ecstatic. I'm so proud of them, what a great team.

Overall it was a great time, there were some disappointments here and there but the weather was great and everyone was friendly. I am graduating this year so I'm proud that I was able to spend good time with SciOly.org and Science Olympiad! Two states medals in the top 5 aren't bad at all!

(I feel so badly for North Meck for barely making it to nationals every year, us DaVinci's Dragons will cheer you on in the future! [we were sitting behind you guys in the ceremony])
regionals/states

regionals/ states
musicalwhang
Division: C

Post by musicalwhang »

Good states competition yesterday. Throughout the awards ceremony, it was obvious that Enloe was going to come out on top with a better overall performance than NCSSM. It really surprised me when NCSSM won it though. It seems that Enloe completely scuffed their boomilever placing 50th :shock: This confused me because at the duke invitationals one of the Enloe teams placed 3rd in boomilever (Chapel Hill placed 4th :D ) Overall states was very well run and I'm very happy that I medaled first for Chapel Hill in mousetrap! Good luck to NCCSM and Enloe at nationals.

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”