Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Carolina 2019

Post by venules »

Selundar wrote:Is there a spreadsheet/livestream?
This is belated, but there was a livestream on the NCSO Facebook here.

Predictions vs. Actual Results
There were two entries for B and five for C.
Division B
1. Piedmont IB - 100% voted (Actual placing: 1st)
2. Wilmington Academy of Arts & Sciences - 100% voted (Actual placing: 2nd)
3. 50% West Cary Middle, 50% Mills Park Middle (Actual 3rd place team: Jay M. Robinson)
4. 50% Jay M. Robinson, 50% Mills Park Middle (Actual 4th place team: Fred J. Carnage)
5. Carnage - 100% voted (Actual placing: 4th) (Actual 5th place team: Davis Drive Middle)
6. 50% Smith Middle, 50% Davis Drive (Actual 6th place team: Smith)
7. 50% Thales Academy Apex, 50% Davis Drive (Actual 7th place team: The Academy at Lincoln)
8. 50% St. Mark Catholic, 50% Daniels Magnet (Actual 8th place team: Mills Park Middle)
9. 50% Randolph, 50% Martin (Actual 9th place team: West Cary Middle)
10. 50% The Academy at Lincoln, 50% Smith (Actual 10th place team: Randolph)

The first place team received a score of 102. The closest guess was 128. They earned 25 medals (22 excluding trials). The closest guess was 19. The highest scoring team outside of the top ten was Fairview School, which no one guessed.

Division C
1. William G. Enloe High School - 100% voted (Actual placing: 2nd) (Actual 1st place team: NCSSM)
2. NCSSM - 80% voted (Actual placing: 1st) (Actual 2nd place team: Enloe)
3. 40% voted Raleigh Charter, 40% voted North Mecklenburg (actual 3rd place team: Raleigh Charter)
4. Raleigh Charter - 40% voted (actual placing: 3rd) (actual 4th place team: North Mecklenburg)
5. 40% voted John T. Hoggard, 40% voted Green Hope (actual 5th place team: East Chapel Hill HS)
6. 20% Panther Creek, 20% Cardinal Gibbons, 20% Raleigh Charter, 20% East Chapel Hill, 20% Ardrey Kell (actual 6th place team: John T. Hoggard)
7. John T. Hoggard - 40% voted (actual placing: 6th) (actual 7th place team: Ardrey Kell)
8. 20% Chapel Hill, 20% East Chapel Hill, 20% Durham Academy, 20% Cardinal Gibbons, 20% Green Hope (actual 8th place team: Chapel Hill HS)
9. 20% Southern Nash, 20% Atkins Academy, 20% Smoky Mountain, 20% Cardinal Gibbons, 20% Green Hope (actual 9th place team: Panther Creek HS)
10. Atkins Academic and Technology High School - 40% voted (actual placing: 18th) (actual 10th place team: Isaac Bear Early College)

The first place team got a score of 143. The closest guess was 122. They also earned 21 medals; one person guessed 20 and another guessed 22. The highest placing team outside of the top ten was Triangle Math and Science Academy, which no one guessed.
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
ascioly
Division: B

Post by ascioly »

States was overall amazing. I am from WAAS and the awards ceremony was very tense, at least for us - it felt like Robinson was going to take second as they were placing consistently higher in the events they were placing in, so getting second was a big surprise. Overall so excited to go to nationals for the first time, and so proud that a school of sixty middle schoolers was able to make it this far! Speaking of nationals, does anyone have any advice for it? It's very new territory for us, so anything will help (ie what to do before the events start, the main competition/who has perviously won, ext.).

Also exciting that top four teams will make it to nationals next year! I'll be competing in division C, so any advice on that would also be highly appreciated.
Competitor in Anatomy (6th - states), Solar System (1st - states), & WIDI (7th - regionals). WAAS team captain. Love the random stuff floating around in space. Overall pessimist.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

ascioly wrote:States was overall amazing. I am from WAAS and the awards ceremony was very tense, at least for us - it felt like Robinson was going to take second as they were placing consistently higher in the events they were placing in, so getting second was a big surprise. Overall so excited to go to nationals for the first time, and so proud that a school of sixty middle schoolers was able to make it this far! Speaking of nationals, does anyone have any advice for it? It's very new territory for us, so anything will help (ie what to do before the events start, the main competition/who has perviously won, ext.).

Also exciting that top four teams will make it to nationals next year! I'll be competing in division C, so any advice on that would also be highly appreciated.
Well for the schools that do super well take a look at the unofficial rankings threads. I recommend bringing funny hats for the swap meet - it's hard to get other hats without one.

Also wdym that the top 4 teams will make it to nats next year? For NC it's the top 2 teams from both divisions, but that hasn't changed for a while :?:
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
ascioly

Post by ascioly »

Since nationals will be hosted in NC it makes us the home state, and because of that the top four for both divisions get to go (or so I've heard, but you might want to check me on that even though I'm pretty sure). And what even is the swap meet? We're all kind of confused on that.

(Also I've never used the forums and dk how to reply to something?)
Last edited by ascioly on April 28th, 2019, 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Competitor in Anatomy (6th - states), Solar System (1st - states), & WIDI (7th - regionals). WAAS team captain. Love the random stuff floating around in space. Overall pessimist.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

ascioly wrote:Since nationals will be hosted in NC it makes us the home state, and because of that the top four for both divisions get to go (or so I've heard, but you might want to check me on that even though I'm pretty sure). And what even is the swap meet? We're all kind of confused on that.

(Also I've never used the forums and dk how to reply to something?)
That's not true, isn't it? It hasn't ever happened before, at least.

The swap meet is a fun thing right after opening ceremony where everyone just meets other people and trades random junk.
ascioly

Post by ascioly »

Hmm, then maybe it isn't. I wonder how that myth got started.

And cool! What are some of the usual things (other than hats) that normally get traded?
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

ascioly wrote:Hmm, then maybe it isn't. I wonder how that myth got started.

And cool! What are some of the usual things (other than hats) that normally get traded?
Shirts, hats, cool stuff from your state, etc.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by venules »

ascioly wrote:Hmm, then maybe it isn't. I wonder how that myth got started.

During awards, I believe Kim Gervase mentioned that the top four teams will be going to nationals next year, so that may be where the confusion started. I just assumed that she was referring to the usual two middle school teams and two high school teams. If any state were to get 8 bids, it would probably be a larger state like NY before us :D

People usually bring whatever they want to trade, like cool state-specific things. You could look up things NC is known for as a good starting point. Since you're from the coast, you could probably bring souvenirs or items from the beach. There's also a swap meet thread in the Nationals forum.

Also, in terms of preparing for Div C, be aware that you'll have to study more in depth than you are expected to at the middle school level. I can't give advice specific to building events, but I'd assume that the requirements vary slightly as well.
musicalwhang wrote:Good states competition yesterday. Throughout the awards ceremony, it was obvious that Enloe was going to come out on top with a better overall performance than NCSSM. It really surprised me when NCSSM won it though. It seems that Enloe completely scuffed their boomilever placing 50th :shock: This confused me because at the duke invitationals one of the Enloe teams placed 3rd in boomilever (Chapel Hill placed 4th :D ) Overall states was very well run and I'm very happy that I medaled first for Chapel Hill in mousetrap! Good luck to NCCSM and Enloe at nationals.
krasabnk wrote:Great job to everyone who competed! I was able to place 3rd in Herpetology in a team that hardly medalled so that felt amazing.

I'm pretty surprised with all of these close wins, it'd be interesting to see if NCSSM can place well at nationals. As for WAAS, big congrats to them for making it to nationals for the first time (I believe)! It was a big deal for them and their coach was ecstatic. I'm so proud of them, what a great team.

Overall it was a great time, there were some disappointments here and there but the weather was great and everyone was friendly. I am graduating this year so I'm proud that I was able to spend good time with SciOly.org and Science Olympiad! Two states medals in the top 5 aren't bad at all!

(I feel so badly for North Meck for barely making it to nationals every year, us DaVinci's Dragons will cheer you on in the future! [we were sitting behind you guys in the ceremony])
Congrats to you both!
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

For the record, Enloe was tiered in Boomilever. It's worth noting that NCSSM placed last in WIDI.

Overall, states was great as always. It's very different as a supervisor rather than a competitor - definitely less fun, but also less stressful.

Any event reviews? Did anyone compete in DG?

Edit: so Venules, who won the prediction contest? Well, was it a contest?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
leinad520

Post by leinad520 »

musicalwhang wrote:Good states competition yesterday. Throughout the awards ceremony, it was obvious that Enloe was going to come out on top with a better overall performance than NCSSM. It really surprised me when NCSSM won it though. It seems that Enloe completely scuffed their boomilever placing 50th :shock: This confused me because at the duke invitationals one of the Enloe teams placed 3rd in boomilever (Chapel Hill placed 4th :D ) Overall states was very well run and I'm very happy that I medaled first for Chapel Hill in mousetrap! Good luck to NCCSM and Enloe at nationals.
I think that NCSSM actually had the same amount of 1st place medals as Enloe, along with more overall medals than Enloe. I also believe that NCSSM actually got 50th in WIDI and Enloe placed 46 in Boom. Seems to me like NCSSM had a better overall performance. Still was an amazing competition for both teams!
"Strong Mental"

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”