Division: Grad
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Carolina 2019

Post by venules »

krasabnk wrote:
venules wrote:Update for anyone interested in the Piedmont invitational results: West Cary Middle placed second. Still no word on other placements.
Is that an upset?
In the context of this invitational, probably no. This was the inaugural tournament, so there's no result history to compare to. However, the results do reveal how much West Cary has improved this year. They did not compete at states last year and placed 12th at regionals, but this year they placed 4th at regionals (getting a state bid) and presumably outplaced several Charlotte teams at Piedmont.

The Charlotte teams that attended were Jay M. Robinson [1st], Piedmont [not ranked], Science Hounds, Metrolina Regional Scholars Academy, Mallard Creek STEM Academy, Corvian Community School (who apparently did not compete at regionals at all), Randolph IB, and St. Mark Catholic. Not all of these teams have a particularly outstanding history (especially @ states), but quite a few have fared well at regionals.

MRSA placed 5th at the Charlotte Regional last year and 6th this year, and 8th at states last year. St. Mark placed 5th at regionals this year after finishing 8th last year. Randolph IB placed 3rd at regionals in 2018 and 2019, and placed 13th at states last year. On the other hand, Science Hounds came in 4th at regionals last year, but this year they placed 19th, so there's probably something else going on there. Weaker teams could also be a reason for upward shifts in some teams' rankings.

With regards to non-Charlotte teams, Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy did place 12th at states in 2018.

This could mean that West Cary has a strong chance of placing in the top 20 at states in comparison to other teams, but of course, I am merely a competitor and not an experienced SciOly analyst (especially not for Div. B.). Also, patterns observed at any regional tournament don't necessarily repeat themselves. someone else can comment on this blah
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by venules »

Laurinburg B: 1 bid
1. St. John Paul II Catholic School

Cullowhee B: 1 bid
1. Ranger Elementary/Middle School

All North Carolina regionals are officially over and we are moving on to states! The state office is releasing the top raw scores for all building events soon; for those who don’t know, this was done last year as well, and all teams were anonymous.

Additionally, after the previous discussion about upsets, I looked more closely at each regional and it turns out that there were, in fact, a lot of shifts compared to last year. For one, Carnage placed 3rd at their regionals after years of winning. To comment on whether every change was expected or not would require a closer examination of recent tournament history, especially in regions that are known for being competitive or regions that don’t have as much information about them.
krasabnk

Post by krasabnk »

venules wrote: All North Carolina regionals are officially over and we are moving on to states!
Now that the regionals are over, do we have any predictions for states?
DaVinci's Dragons 2019, NCSU '23
[b]2019: [/b]
regionals/states
 <3 Herpetology: 1/3
 :evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
 :?: Experimental Design -/19

[b]2018: [/b]
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
 :?: Disease Detectives: 4/19
TheCrazyChemist

Post by TheCrazyChemist »

I don't know much about North Carolina, but I did see Piedmont IB at Cornell, and they were really good. So, I'm assuming that they'll win your states.
krasabnk

Post by krasabnk »

TheCrazyChemist wrote:I don't know much about North Carolina, but I did see Piedmont IB at Cornell, and they were really good. So, I'm assuming that they'll win your states.
IB is perennially the top team in NC Div B, so it should come to no one's surprise if they win. Carnage Middle, their main competition from the past few years, seems to have fallen off their high-reigning status.
regionals/states

regionals/ states
Tailsfan101
State: ID

We: nowth cawowina 2019

Post by Tailsfan101 »

krasabnk wrote:
TheCrazyChemist wrote:I don't know much about nowth cawowina, but I did see Piedmont IB at Cornell, and they wewe weawwy good. So, I'm assuming that they'll win youw states.
IB is perennially the top team in NC Div B, so it should come to no one's surprise if they win. Carnage Middwe, theiw main competition fwom the past few years, seems to have fallen off theiw high-reigning status.
I'm personally predicting Wilmington Academy to get 2nd, mostly based off invitational (O'Neal) and regional results.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
anagene
State: GA

Post by anagene »

krasabnk wrote:
venules wrote: All North Carolina regionals are officially over and we are moving on to states!
Now that the regionals are over, do we have any predictions for states?
I suspect it will be Piedmont IB as usual in first place.
I think WAAS has an excellent shot at second this year with the number of invys they have attended and done well at as well.
He had the look of one who had drunk the cup of life and found a dead beetle at the bottom.
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by venules »

Would people be interested in a Google form for predictions like other states have?
krasabnk

Post by krasabnk »

venules wrote:Would people be interested in a Google form for predictions like other states have?
Not sure how many people would participate, but I’d be down to fill one out
regionals/states

regionals/ states
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by venules »

Prediction forms will be open from 3pm on Friday, April 12th, until the beginning of opening ceremonies on Friday, April 26th at 5pm. If enough people respond, we can make this a contest (using the same points rules as other states, i.e. 5 points for correct placing, 4 points if it's one off, etc.), but for now it's non-committal.

Div B
Div C

The North Carolina Wiki page is relatively up to date with recent state results, and the NCSO website has all 2018 regional and state results. You can check individual team wiki pages for those that have them.
2019 regional results are on Avogadro. You may want to consider both combined and group scores:
Asheville B / C
Buies Creek B / C
Charlotte B / C
Cullowhee B
Durham B / C
Fayetteville B / C
Greensboro B / C
Greenville B / C
Hickory B / C
Kinston B / C
Laurinburg B
Raleigh B
Raleigh/National Ready C
Wilmington B / C
Winston-Salem B / C
Duke Invitational Results (Remember that Fairfax and TJ are from Virginia! Every other team is an NC team.)

If you’re open to sharing your predictions publicly, feel free to do so as well! (although I think all of NC went inactive again lol)

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”