IvanGe
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2019

Post by IvanGe »

pb5754[] wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
IvanGe wrote:Does anyone know if they released which maps to bring for Road Scholar? Did they send it out by email or is it on the website?
You guys bring maps? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of competition?
I think I've heard of this happening at other competitions before... although I guess I would agree that it does defeat the purpose of the competition.
Idk our road ppl were asking which maps to bring. The newyorkscioly website says in 2017 that certain AAA maps were needed so... was wondering if any are needed this year
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy
Giantpants
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Giantpants »

IvanGe wrote:Idk our road ppl were asking which maps to bring. The newyorkscioly website says in 2017 that certain AAA maps were needed so... was wondering if any are needed this year
I did road scholar in 2017 and yeah they had us bring an AAA map to regionals and states, iirc it was the Arizona map for both. Idk if they continued this system into 2018 or 2019 but I have seen our middle school coaches discussing “if the map has been announced” so ig they’re in the same boat as you guys.
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

Events I'm Writing in 2023: Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals
Events I've Written in Years Past: Geologic Mapping, Remote Sensing
Giantpants's Userpage
SPP SciO
Division: B
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

IvanGe wrote:Does anyone know if they released which maps to bring for Road Scholar? Did they send it out by email or is it on the website?
This was in an email from the NYC director to states-bound teams from our region, sent on March 10th:

“USGS 2019 Symbol Sheets

Road Scholar at the 2019 New York State B Tournament:

Teams will be provided with all needed maps-both AAA and USGS Topographic.
​Teams should bring all other material listed in the spec sheet, including topographic symbol sheets.

The official USGS symbol sheet can be obtained at:
primary:
https://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/TopographicMa ... ymbols.pdf

secondary:
users.clas.ufl.edu/jmjaeger/6932_gis/usgs_map_symbology.pdf
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
kate!

Post by kate! »

There are 5 days until states, and it's time for me to make my final states predictions.

1. Gelinas
- This is basically a given. Unless they screw up really badly, we've all seen their outstanding invitationals results. They're a powerhouse team and stronger than anyone else in New York Div B. There's no denying that they're going to do extremely well at states and probably win.
2-5. In no particular order, Bay Academy, Eagle Hill, Goff, Murphy. (Actually I take that back, it was in alphabetical order.)
- Anyway, it's going to be close. I don't know who's going to get the second bid and I can't really predict what's going to happen. All I'll say is that Bay Academy is doing very well this year (7th at Cornell!!), Murphy is pulling their weight (I can't exactly use any results to my advantage considering that we only have regionals to look at, but we're doing our best), Eagle Hill definitely seems to be a bit weaker this year (13th at Cornell- however they usually perform better later in the season so we'll see what happens, we could all be underestimating them), Goff seems to be motivated from last year's results but also slightly weaker (15th at Cornell- however that's not too indicative of what will happen at states).
6. C.J. Hooker
- In past years, 6th and 7th place have commonly been C.P. Weber and C.J. Hooker (last year, C.P. Weber was in 6th). However, C.J. Hooker has definitely become a lot stronger this year out of the past 6th-10th New York schools, as we can see in their admirable invitational results. They got 9th at LISO (and though Pleasantville beat them, Pleasantville also got 3rd at regionals behind Scarsdale and Ardsley, so C.J. Hooker has clearly improved), as well as 11th at Rustin, directly behind Harlan Rowe, a Pennsylvania school that's gained considerable prowess this year.
7. Port Jefferson
- Though Port Jeff didn't attend any invitationals this year, their regionals results are pointing towards a promising states placing. They came in 4th, only 12 points away from Murphy, and were surprisingly consistent, with no placings out of the top 10 besides the three dropped events and Parasitology, which didn't count. And although some might argue that South Woods should be placed 7th on account of their regionals results (in which they won with a very large margin over C.P. Weber), I'd just like to say that C.P. Weber is looking far weaker this year, and Port Jeff was much more consistent than South Woods at regionals.
8. South Woods
- Like Port Jeff, South Woods did not attend any invitationals, but their regionals results make me think that they're going to do better at states this year than last year without C.P. Weber in their way. At regionals, they got an impressive total of 156 points (after all, their regionals is relatively competitive considering that C.P. Weber, Bro. Joseph Fox, and Wisdom Lane all compete there). They also beat C.P. Weber by just under 70 points, and though they weren't very consistent, neither was C.P. Weber. Due to this, I think they've improved quite a lot this year.
9. C.P. Weber
- Even though I have been saying that C.P. Weber is weaker than last year, I don't think this is going to take them out of the top 10- it's simply going to knock them down a few places. First of all, at LISO, we saw that they were beaten by both C.J. Hooker and Pleasantville, and only beat Bay Academy's B team by one point. Then, at Rustin they got an unfortunate 26th place, beaten by Harlan Rowe's B team (meanwhile, C.J. Hooker was narrowly beaten by their A team). At their last invitational, Cornell, they came in 21st, placing right behind the B or C teams of some reputable schools (namely Goff, Gelinas, Springhouse, etc.). However, neither C.J. Hooker nor Pleasantville attended Cornell, which makes me wonder what the results would have been like had they been there. And finally, regionals. Maybe their team just had a bad day, but I think that's unlikely given their invitational results compared to last year's state results. If South Woods was able to beat them by almost 70 points, then they'll either have the dedication to prove me wrong at states, or they'll follow through with my prediction. But either way, I don't see them leaving the top 10. They're absolutely still a respected team with plenty of past good placings under their belt.
10. Pleasantville
- Honestly, I feel like Pleasantville may edge out the other teams vying for the 10th place spot simply due to their LISO results and the fact that regionals may have been an anomaly. Although they got 3rd, regionals isn't always an indicator of what will happen at states, and there was only 21 points between them and Scarsdale, as well as only 2 between them and Ardsley. And if we compare this year's results to last year, Pleasantville seems the most consistent (from what I can tell) out of the three, as they got 9th at the Islip Invitational and did better than both Scarsdale and Ardsley at states, as well as being only 2 points from 10th but over 50 from 12th. Also, I think they're going to beat Calkins Road this year, because Calkins Road only won regionals by one point to Bay Trail, who they historically done better than at states (by considerable margins, especially last year).

So to sum it all up, anything could happen. Teams could come back stronger, they could come back weaker, they could stay the same. All I know is that scores are going to be close, whether we're talking about 6th-10th or 2nd-5th. I wish you all the best of luck at states and I hope you all have a great time regardless of what results look like.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
swagmcswag1223
Has thanked: 0

We: New Yowk 2019

Post by swagmcswag1223 »

kate! wrote:thewe awe 5 days until states, and it's time fow me to make my final states pwediction.

1. Gelinas
- This is basically a given. Unless they screw up weawwy badly, we've aww seen theiw outstanding invitationaws wesuwts. They're a powerhouse team and stronger than anyone else in New Yowk Div B. thewe's no denying that they're going to do extremely well at states and probably win.
2-5. In no particular order, Bay Academy, Eagle Hill, Goff, Murphy. (Actually I take that back, it was in alphabetical order.)
- Anyway, it's going to be close. I don't know who's going to get the second bid and I can't weawwy predict what's going to happen. aww I'll say is that Bay Academy is doing very well this year (7th at Cornell!!), Murphy is pulling theiw weight (I can't exactly use any wesuwts to my advantage considering that we only have wegionaws to wook at, but we're doing ouw best), Eagle Hill definitely seems to be a bit weaker this year (13th at Cornell- however they usually perform bettew later in the season so we'll see what happens, we couwd aww be underestimating them), Goff seems to be motivated fwom last year's wesuwts but also slightly weaker (15th at Cornell- however that's not too indicative of what wiww happen at states).
6. C.J. Hooker
- In past years, 6th and 7th place have commonly been C.P. Weber and C.J. Hooker (last year, C.P. Weber was in 6th). However, C.J. Hooker has definitely become a lot stronger this year out of the past 6th-10th New Yowk schools, as we can see in theiw admirable invitationaw wesuwts. They got 9th at LISO (and though Pleasantville beat them, Pleasantville also got 3rd at wegionaws behind Scarsdale and Ardsley, so C.J. Hooker has clearly improved), as well as 11th at Rustin, directly behind Harlan Rowe, a Pennsywvania Schoow that's gained considerable prowess this year.
7. Port Jefferson
- Though Port Jeff didn't attend any invitationaws this year, theiw wegionaws wesuwts awe pointing towards a promising states placing. They came in 4th, only 12 points away fwom Murphy, and wewe surprisingly consistent, with no placings out of the top 10 besides the thwee dropped events and Parasitology, which didn't count. And although some might argue that South Woods should be placed 7th on account of theiw wegionaws wesuwts (in which they won with a very large margin over C.P. Weber), I'd just wike to say that C.P. Weber is looking far weaker this year, and Port Jeff was much mowe consistent than South Woods at wegionaws.
8. South Woods
- wike Port Jeff, South Woods did not attend any invitationaws, but theiw wegionaws wesuwts make me think that they're going to do bettew at states this year than last year without C.P. Weber in theiw way. At wegionaws, they got an impressive total of 156 points (after aww, theiw wegionaws is relatively competitive considering that C.P. Weber, Bro. Joseph Fox, and Wisdom Lane aww compete thewe). They also beat C.P. Weber by just under 70 points, and though they weren't very consistent, neither was C.P. Weber. Due to this, I think they've improved quite a lot this year.
9. C.P. Weber
- Even though I have been saying that C.P. Weber is weaker than last year, I don't think this is going to take them out of the top 10- it's simply going to knock them down a few places. fiwst of aww, at LISO, we saw that they wewe beaten by both C.J. Hooker and Pleasantville, and only beat Bay Academy's B team by one point. Then, at Rustin they got an unfortunate 26th place, beaten by Harlan Rowe's B team (meanwhile, C.J. Hooker was narrowly beaten by theiw A team). At theiw last invitationaw, Cornell, they came in 21st, placing right behind the B ow C teams of some reputable schools (namely Goff, Gelinas, Springhouse, etc.). However, neither C.J. Hooker nor Pleasantville attended Cornell, which makes me wonder what the wesuwts wouwd have been wike had they been thewe. And finally, wegionaws. Maybe theiw team just had a bad day, but I think that's unlikely given theiw invitationaw wesuwts compared to last year's state wesuwts. If South Woods was able to beat them by almost 70 points, then they'll either have the dedication to prove me wrong at states, ow they'll follow through with my pwediction. But either way, I don't see them leaving the top 10. They're absolutely still a respected team with plenty of past good placings under theiw belt.
10. Pleasantville
- Honestly, I feel wike Pleasantville may edge out the othew teams vying fow the 10th place spot simply due to theiw LISO wesuwts and the fact that wegionaws may have been an anomaly. Although they got 3rd, wegionaws isn't always an indicator of what wiww happen at states, and thewe was only 21 points between them and Scarsdale, as well as only 2 between them and Ardsley. And if we compare this year's wesuwts to last year, Pleasantville seems the most consistent (fwom what I can tell) out of the thwee, as they got 9th at the Islip invitationaw and did bettew than both Scarsdale and Ardsley at states, as well as being only 2 points fwom 10th but over 50 fwom 12th. Also, I think they're going to beat Calkins woad this year, because Calkins woad only won wegionaws by one point to Bay Trail, who they historically done bettew than at states (by considerable margins, especially last year).

So to sum it aww up, anything couwd happen. Teams couwd come back stronger, they couwd come back weaker, they couwd stay the same. aww I know is that scowes awe going to be close, whether we're talking about 6th-10th ow 2nd-5th. I wish you aww the best of wuck at states and I hope you aww have a great time regardless of what wesuwts wook wike.
We are pulling the weight of our leadership too......There is one LARGE individual that we have to deal with
Co-captain of Dank Memes Area Homeschoolers
Former captain of Gelinas Jr High School
LISO/Rustin/Cornell/Regs/States/Nats
Solar: 1/5/3/x/4/TBD
Meteo: 1/3/2/1/1/TBD
Anatomy: 1/2/6/1/4/TBD
ELG: :cry: 14/4/12/2/x/TBD
Circuit: 4/x/7/1/x/TBD
wzhang5460

Re: We: New Yowk 2019

Post by wzhang5460 »

swagmcswag1223 wrote:We awe pulling the weight of ouw leadership too......thewe is one LARGE individual that we have to deal with
Hullo hullo, this statement is 100% correct.
Circuit Lab NY State Champion with legendary circuitologist Eric Wang
LONGEST DEFENDING ROCKS AND MINERALS REGIONAL CHAMPION OF EASTERN LONG ISLAND IN HISTORY ~4 YEARS AND COUNTING
IvanGe

We: We: New Yowk 2019

Post by IvanGe »

wzhang5460 wrote:
swagmcswag1223 wrote:We awe pulling the weight of ouw leadership too......thewe is one LARGE individual that we have to deal with
Hullo hullo, this statement is 100% correct.
pls stop.
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy
kate!

Post by kate! »

Important information about Road Scholar for Div B states has just been posted!

According to the NYSSO website, "NOTE: Maps for Road Scholar will be provided by the Supervisor. Teams do not need to bring maps."
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
MattChina

Post by MattChina »

Good luck to everyone competing tomorrow and Saturday!
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
thecatgod

Post by thecatgod »

May everyone achieve what they want to tomorrow and Saturday! I am honored to be a part of my middle school Science Olympiad team and I promise to do my best to coach them to victory. I hope you all will have as great a time this weekend as I will have!
Medal Count 2018: 20
Rustin/Garnet/Islip/Cornell/Regionals/States
Hovercraft:3/4/4/1/1/1
Thermo:16/6/1/3/1/5
Quiz Bowl:4/-/2/-/-/-/
Optics:11/7/-/-/-/1
Experimental:-/-/-/23/2/5
Road Scholar:-/-/-/-/2/2
Fast Facts:-/-/-/6/-/-/

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”