Division: C
State: NY

Re: New York 2019

Post by kate! »

Revised Predictions:

1. Gelinas
- Extremely strong performance at Cornell, definitely the best New York B team
2. Bay Academy
- They also really outdid themselves at Cornell and their other invites and I think they have a solid chance at making nationals
3. Eagle Hill
- Still going strong, definitely better than Goff/Murphy, but they seem to be still recovering from last year's loss and they're not as good this year
4. Goff
- Pretty good performance at Cornell, but the other 3 schools are stronger than them
5. Murphy
- No comment (well, one comment- lack of invitationals and experience = no bueno but we'll still be top 5)
6. C.J. Hooker?
- Again because of good LISO and Rustin results
7. South Woods
- Haven't seen anything new from them either, this is still based on their regionals win
8. Pleasantville
- Still based on impressive LISO placing
9. C.P. Weber
- C.P. Weber has definitely become weaker this year as we can see by their relatively poor invitationals results... I mean, Gelinas C team beat them at Cornell, and last year that never would have happened (no offense to either team)
10. Islip
- Still based on the 14th at LISO and weakness of Port Jeff

Again, we'll see more results as more regionals happen, but I don't think I'm going to change any of these predictions besides 6th, 8th, 9th, and 10th. I'm just excited to see what happens at states, this is definitely a great year for Bay Academy. (And by the way, congratulations to Gelinas/Bay Academy for their spectacular performances at Cornell!!)
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
drcubbin
Division: B

Post by drcubbin »

kate! wrote:Revised Predictions:

1. Gelinas
2. Bay Academy
- They also really outdid themselves at Cornell and their other invites and I think they have a solid chance at making nationals
3. Eagle Hill
- Still going strong, definitely better than Goff/Murphy, but they seem to be still recovering from last year's loss and they're not as good this year
4. Goff
- Pretty good performance at Cornell, but the other 3 schools are stronger than them
5. Murphy
- No comment (well, one comment- lack of invitationals and experience = no bueno but we'll still be top 5)
6. C.J. Hooker?
7. South Woods
- Haven't seen anything new from them either, this is still based on their regionals win
8. Pleasantville
9. C.P. Weber
- C.P. Weber has definitely become weaker this year as we can see by their relatively poor invitationals results... I mean, Gelinas C team beat them at Cornell, and last year that never would have happened (no offense to either team)
10. Islip

Again, we'll see more results as more regionals happen, but I don't think I'm going to change any of these predictions besides 6th, 8th, 9th, and 10th. I'm just excited to see what happens at states, this is definitely a great year for Bay Academy. (And by the way, congratulations to Gelinas/Bay Academy for their spectacular performances at Cornell!!)
Thanks so much, Kate! It was a great time up at Cornell (and warmer than last year!!) Hopefully this is our watershed moment onto the Nationals scene. We have a great team and they are showing no signs of letting up! Thanks again to all teams (especially P.J. Gelinas) for being such great competitors and hopefully... we'll be up north again in a couple of months!
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

drcubbin wrote:
kate! wrote:Revised Predictions:

1. Gelinas
2. Bay Academy
3. Eagle Hill
4. Goff
5. Murphy
6. C.J. Hooker?
7. South Woods
8. Pleasantville
9. C.P. Weber
10. Islip

Thanks so much, Kate! It was a great time up at Cornell (and warmer than last year!!) Hopefully this is our watershed moment onto the Nationals scene. We have a great team and they are showing no signs of letting up! Thanks again to all teams (especially P.J. Gelinas) for being such great competitors and hopefully... we'll be up north again in a couple of months!
Congrats on the 7th place at Cornell!!! Bay has an extremely solid chance as making nats this year! :)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
wzhang5460
Has thanked: 0

Post by wzhang5460 »

I would maybe switch Eagle Hill and Goff... at Cornell Eagle Hill brought only one team that got 13th, while Goff brought two teams getting 15th and 20th. Goff is relatively unstacked, so there could be potential for them to beat Eagle Hill. Bay Academy was also relatively unstacked (7th and 12th), so when they stack for states they could be a real contender for Gelinas.
Circuit Lab NY State Champion with legendary circuitologist Eric Wang
LONGEST DEFENDING ROCKS AND MINERALS REGIONAL CHAMPION OF EASTERN LONG ISLAND IN HISTORY ~4 YEARS AND COUNTING
IvanGe
Been thanked: 0

Post by IvanGe »

Looks like I’ll be revising my predictions :

1) Gelinas
- good show at Cornell and beat all other NY teams present
-strong placements with minimal bombs
2) Bay Academy
-proved to be the 2nd best team at Cornell
-no major bombs (over 20th at Cornell) and decent placements
3)Howard Goff
-although not a good placement at Cornell, they may not have stacked and combining A and B they would have beaten Eagle Hill
4) R. C. Murphy
-without any invitationals, I still see them as a strong team. Tech events are the ones that struggle without invy experience
5) eagle hill
-looking at Cornell, there were several heavy bombs that pulled the team down. Some of them were identical in Chestnut Hill so I see them getting worse than last year
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy
AwersomeUser

Post by AwersomeUser »

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask but how is which schools are going to states determined? I mean like top _. Does it vary from the number of schools competing?
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

AwersomeUser wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread to ask but how is which schools are going to states determined? I mean like top _. Does it vary from the number of schools competing?
It is based on the relative size of each regional tournament, either by number of schools or number of teams. I don't know the details of NY's system.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
AwersomeUser

Post by AwersomeUser »

Unome wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread to ask but how is which schools are going to states determined? I mean like top _. Does it vary from the number of schools competing?
It is based on the relative size of each regional tournament, either by number of schools or number of teams. I don't know the details of NY's system.
Ok thanks.

Do anyone know how to find a test and answer for regionals? (I really want to know which questions I got wrong....) And do each regional get different test or do all regional have the same questions? What about for states?
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...
Name
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Name »

AwersomeUser wrote: Do anyone know how to find a test and answer for regionals? (I really want to know which questions I got wrong....) And do each regional get different test or do all regional have the same questions? What about for states?
NY Regionals/State policy is to never release test/keys back to teams. I'm realitively sure all NY regionals recieved the same tests. States don't have the same tests as each other.
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
AwersomeUser

Post by AwersomeUser »

Name wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote: Do anyone know how to find a test and answer for regionals? (I really want to know which questions I got wrong....) And do each regional get different test or do all regional have the same questions? What about for states?
NY Regionals/State policy is to never release test/keys back to teams. I'm realitively sure all NY regionals recieved the same tests. States don't have the same tests as each other.
Ok thanks.

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”