MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Re: New York 2019

Post by MadCow2357 »

:o :o :shock:
I did not expect Eagle Hill to beat out Bay Academy...

Also, it looks like Battery Buggy is an event many teams have been bombing this year.

Anyways congrats to Gelinas and Eagle Hill, look forward to competing against you guys at nats!
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

wzhang5460 wrote:Reports that Roller was inputted wrong on scoring sheet (inputted as did not finish), got over 400 points so would have placed easily. Waiting for further info, but if it's true that means Gelinas probably broke the old state record.
Murphy noticed that the points were shifted and we were marked as team 6 instead of team 7.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
drcubbin
Division: B

Post by drcubbin »

On behalf of the entire Bay Academy team, I would like to congratulate PJ Gelinas and Eagle Hill on their exceptional wins. You were both phenomenal! I would also like to say congratulations and thank you to all the other teams at the competition. The drive and comraderie you demonstrated were inspirational. To answer the question, were we a bit disappointed to place 3rd? I would not be honest if I said no, but it showed us 3 things: Never underestimate your incredible competitors, work harder, and placing 2nd is very possible for our team. So, it is back to the "strategic" drawing board and rebuilding for next year. Thank you all once more and until we meet again, it's... NATS 2020!!!
rish-leti
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by rish-leti »

Congrats to everyone who competed this weekend! It was a phenomenal competition with amazing competitors, and I hope everyone had tons of fun!
2020: Disease, Orni, Protein
2019: Anatomy, Density, Disease, Herp
thepinecone461

Post by thepinecone461 »

scioly2345 wrote:
4. Goff or RC Murphy
Now I would’ve definitely put Goff in 4th because of Murphy’s lack of invys, but they’re RC Murphy. Their past years results definitely show how much that they can and will prove a lot of us wrong when they don’t go to any invys. Goff however has the past years national drive that’ll push them far, and they are not gonna slack this year either. Murphys’s events like game on or mystery arch are what is gonna determine the success of their team at NYS.
Wow, just saw this while browsing in my depression after states. I am the person who did Game On for RC Murphy, and I did pretty good, getting second at Regionals and States, but we completely bombed our Mystery Architecture with a last place finish in that event, which pulled our score down by a lot. Heck yah we win these.
thecatgod

Post by thecatgod »

Hello and sorry to bother everyone but I have a quick question. I am currently in high school and am hoping to create another science olympiad team. My school already has one but I don't appreciate the way that it is run and how it is organized. I have tried to join the team and reform it with people that have already done science olympiad and skilled at the events they do. However, the team in place wouldn't let most of us join, allowing only 2/15 to get on the team, probating us from making reforms to the team in place. Therefore, I was wondering if I could be able to make my own team with the people I tried out with. Would I even be allowed to do this, and if so, how? If I am, how would it work with the team already in place? Would we have a different name or could we not represent the school at all and just start a team? Initially, I asked the team in place if they could make a separate team for us, like a c-team, but this was rejected also. Can anyone help me figure out how to make my own team even if my school already has one?
Medal Count 2018: 20
Rustin/Garnet/Islip/Cornell/Regionals/States
Hovercraft:3/4/4/1/1/1
Thermo:16/6/1/3/1/5
Quiz Bowl:4/-/2/-/-/-/
Optics:11/7/-/-/-/1
Experimental:-/-/-/23/2/5
Road Scholar:-/-/-/-/2/2
Fast Facts:-/-/-/6/-/-/
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

thecatgod wrote:Hello and sorry to bother everyone but I have a quick question. I am currently in high school and am hoping to create another science olympiad team. My school already has one but I don't appreciate the way that it is run and how it is organized. I have tried to join the team and reform it with people that have already done science olympiad and skilled at the events they do. However, the team in place wouldn't let most of us join, allowing only 2/15 to get on the team, probating us from making reforms to the team in place. Therefore, I was wondering if I could be able to make my own team with the people I tried out with. Would I even be allowed to do this, and if so, how? If I am, how would it work with the team already in place? Would we have a different name or could we not represent the school at all and just start a team? Initially, I asked the team in place if they could make a separate team for us, like a c-team, but this was rejected also. Can anyone help me figure out how to make my own team even if my school already has one?
Why didn't they let you join?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
thecatgod

Post by thecatgod »

I was allowed in but everyone else is coming in from division b(they are from 8th grade and going into high school next year) so the team there didn't think that they would be a good addition saying that division b is too simple and useless compared to division c, so all of them were rejected.
Medal Count 2018: 20
Rustin/Garnet/Islip/Cornell/Regionals/States
Hovercraft:3/4/4/1/1/1
Thermo:16/6/1/3/1/5
Quiz Bowl:4/-/2/-/-/-/
Optics:11/7/-/-/-/1
Experimental:-/-/-/23/2/5
Road Scholar:-/-/-/-/2/2
Fast Facts:-/-/-/6/-/-/
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

thecatgod wrote:I was allowed in but everyone else is coming in from division b(they are from 8th grade and going into high school next year) so the team there didn't think that they would be a good addition saying that division b is too simple and useless compared to division c, so all of them were rejected.
To be fair, they're not wrong. Div c is a lot harder. It's kind of unfair if they didn't even give some people a chance though. Was there any kind of testing process?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by lumosityfan »

thecatgod wrote:Hello and sorry to bother everyone but I have a quick question. I am currently in high school and am hoping to create another science olympiad team. My school already has one but I don't appreciate the way that it is run and how it is organized. I have tried to join the team and reform it with people that have already done science olympiad and skilled at the events they do. However, the team in place wouldn't let most of us join, allowing only 2/15 to get on the team, probating us from making reforms to the team in place. Therefore, I was wondering if I could be able to make my own team with the people I tried out with. Would I even be allowed to do this, and if so, how? If I am, how would it work with the team already in place? Would we have a different name or could we not represent the school at all and just start a team? Initially, I asked the team in place if they could make a separate team for us, like a c-team, but this was rejected also. Can anyone help me figure out how to make my own team even if my school already has one?
I don't think you'd be allowed to create a team outside of the school team unfortunately. For one you'd have to register with the state, and even if you did, if someone noticed that you guys were separate from the main school's teams, you would need to provide proof that you were a different school, which you guys are not.
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”