New York 2019

thecatgod
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2019

Post by thecatgod » May 3rd, 2019, 4:28 pm

All right, so are we allowed to register under the school that we go to as a c team, even if they don't want one?
Medal Count 2018: 20
Rustin/Garnet/Islip/Cornell/Regionals/States
Hovercraft:3/4/4/1/1/1
Thermo:16/6/1/3/1/5
Quiz Bowl:4/-/2/-/-/-/
Optics:11/7/-/-/-/1
Experimental:-/-/-/23/2/5
Road Scholar:-/-/-/-/2/2
Fast Facts:-/-/-/6/-/-/

builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 » May 3rd, 2019, 4:46 pm

thecatgod wrote:All right, so are we allowed to register under the school that we go to as a c team, even if they don't want one?
Honestly, I doubt it. If people did that to communism, I wouldn't exactly be happy... Teams also share a homeroom at invites too so I think they'd find out pretty quickly lol
West Windsor - Plainsboro High School North '22
PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/Cyber/DigiStruc
7x National Medalist, 2x MIT SoM Champion
Test Writer and Event Supervisor, BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage

thecatgod

Post by thecatgod » May 3rd, 2019, 6:34 pm

I don't really care about sharing a homeroom with them or them getting mad at us. It's all about competition here and that adds on to the fun of science olympiad. May the best team win :).

builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 » May 3rd, 2019, 6:43 pm

thecatgod wrote:I don't really care about sharing a homeroom with them or them getting mad at us. It's all about competition here and that adds on to the fun of science olympiad. May the best team win :).
Ngl this is honestly not a good idea. It just seems super unethical to me.
My Userpage

TheCrazyChemist

Post by TheCrazyChemist » May 3rd, 2019, 6:53 pm

builderguy135 wrote:
thecatgod wrote:I don't really care about sharing a homeroom with them or them getting mad at us. It's all about competition here and that adds on to the fun of science olympiad. May the best team win :).
Ethics play more of a role in a person's conscience. If thecatgod feels bad about being unethical, then they may not pursue this. If several people feel unethical, they'll feel guilty. Ethics can also be bent much more easily than rules.

thecatgod

Post by thecatgod » May 3rd, 2019, 7:05 pm

I see what both of you are saying. I'm not trying to start a fight or get people mad at me. I just find it to be really unfair that so many people want to get on and already have experience but are denied because of a 25 question test that doesn't separate anyone from each other and has topics on it not included in the description of the exam. I'm sorry if I made anyone mad, but I'm trying to do the thing that I think those 14 people who worked their butts off for years deserve without breaking Science Olympiad rules. I can handle the criticism and anger of the existing teams if they do feel like this is wrong, but I know I won't stop trying to do the thing I think is right until I am denied by official rules. Thank you very much for your input.

builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 » May 3rd, 2019, 7:20 pm

TheCrazyChemist wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:
Ethics play more of a role in a person's conscience. If thecatgod feels bad about being unethical, then they may not pursue this. If several people feel unethical, they'll feel guilty. Ethics can also be bent much more easily than rules.
-_-

How about:
This is a terrible idea because the A and B teams of your school will probably get really mad at you and hate you for maybe even "not getting on the team legitimately". Also, not letting a teacher or any kind of advisor at all is a bad idea. Representing your school at a competition without even letting them know is a terrible idea. DON'T DO THIS. (not trying to be harsh, sorry if it came off that way)

Just don't do it. I'm sure there's some other way that they can try making the team. (tryouts maybe? :?: or even talk to their club advisor?) The 2020 season hasn't even started yet.

I'm not sure what crazy chemist said has anything to do with this.
My Userpage

sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 » May 3rd, 2019, 7:23 pm

builderguy135 wrote:
TheCrazyChemist wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:
-_-

How about:
This is a terrible idea because the A and B teams of your school will probably get really mad at you and hate you for maybe even "not getting on the team legitimately". Also, not letting a teacher or any kind of advisor at all is a bad idea. Representing your school at a competition without even letting them know is a terrible idea. DON'T DO THIS. (not trying to be harsh, sorry if it came off that way)

Just don't do it. I'm sure there's some other way that they can try making the team. (tryouts maybe? :?: or even talk to their club advisor?) The 2020 season hasn't even started yet.

I'm not sure what crazy chemist said has anything to do with this.
You need a coach and principal to sign the forms that you turn in in order to compete, also most tournaments in the north east don't allow more than 2 teams.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18, BirdSO Tournament Director
'21: Gravity - Boomi - WICI - PPP - Cybersec

BEARSO: Gravity - 1st '21
MIT: LMMM - 1st '21, DigiStruc - 2nd '21, Gravity - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, WIDI -1st '20

Team:
Nats - 3rd '18, '19
MIT - 1st '21, 3rd '20

Rate my tests!

thecatgod

Post by thecatgod » May 3rd, 2019, 7:25 pm

Sorry for the confusion, we're getting a coach. We're not doing this rogue, don't worry. Also, we're perfectly fine with only going to regionals, which allows for 3 teams per school.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by syo_astro » May 3rd, 2019, 7:34 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote: You need a coach and principal to sign the forms that you turn in in order to compete, also most tournaments in the north east don't allow more than 2 teams.
Just confirming that for many years NYS has allowed 3 teams from a single school to compete at regionals. I think what's more important is the whole coaches / principal signing things...thing here. Likely they'd dislike creating a conflicitng / splintered group among clubs since like...a single club is supposed to be a cohesive group (typically). Probably they'd opt for some kind of mediation or just a flat out no (just my experience). I'll say if all the forms are signed and the school approves it then *shrug*...but it's definitely discouraged because a single school is supposed to support each other usually and this also can complicate things from a forms perspective if people get uppity about going together.

The more important question: why aren't they allowing those who didn't get on the A team or whatever to just compete on a Team B/C...? Shouldn't the main coach or captain be fine with that? You should tell them that's allowed and it's not any harder to get going (just an extra form?). That sounds like your preference and would be legal so their problem with that...? Maybe I missed something.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”