pepperonipi
Division: C
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Florida 2019

Post by pepperonipi »

huppada wrote:
windu34 wrote:
huppada wrote:Has UFSO posted their test papers and answer keys yet? If so, can someone drop the link please?
Link
Not everything is up yet - we are working on it. Note that none of the exams went through any sort of revisions process - Florida State does not currently do that.
It is our hope that UFSO will be able to host states at UF next year and the tournament will be under the direction of UFSO Eboard. We are currently already communicating with UF administration to determine if this will be something we can move forward with (the scale of the tournament is much larger than our regional and we have some administrative red tape to navigate before committing to anything).
You guys ran Protein Modeling right? I didn't see it anywhere on the site...
He said some of the events aren't up yet.
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by windu34 »

pepperonipi wrote:
huppada wrote:
windu34 wrote: Link
Not everything is up yet - we are working on it. Note that none of the exams went through any sort of revisions process - Florida State does not currently do that.
It is our hope that UFSO will be able to host states at UF next year and the tournament will be under the direction of UFSO Eboard. We are currently already communicating with UF administration to determine if this will be something we can move forward with (the scale of the tournament is much larger than our regional and we have some administrative red tape to navigate before committing to anything).
Protein Modelling exams are given to regional/state sites from MSOE and therefore most of it wasnt written by us and I believe the same tests are used nationally so we wont post that. There were some additional questions that were included that were written by a few former national medalists in the event from 2016, but Im not sure what has happened to those questions. I will see if we can get that posted.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
huppada
Been thanked: 0

Post by huppada »

pepperonipi wrote:
huppada wrote:
windu34 wrote: Link
It had been a week, I was just following up :)
windu34 wrote: Protein Modelling exams are given to regional/state sites from MSOE and therefore most of it wasnt written by us and I believe the same tests are used nationally so we wont post that. There were some additional questions that were included that were written by a few former national medalists in the event from 2016, but Im not sure what has happened to those questions. I will see if we can get that posted.
Thanks!
Orlando Science Schools '20
2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Forensics, Protein Modeling
huppada

Post by huppada »

Do we know when the 2020 state tournament is?
Orlando Science Schools '20
2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Forensics, Protein Modeling
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

huppada wrote:Do we know when the 2020 state tournament is?
Working on a March 28th date, but not confirmed yet. It will likely be 1-2 months before a date and location is set (UF or UCF).
demir

Post by demir »

windu34 wrote: Working on a March 28th date, but not confirmed yet. It will likely be 1-2 months before a date and location is set (UF or UCF).
March 28 would be fantastic :) How about regional? I hope the regional dates will be closer this year, so we can have more meaningful invitationals for everyone. I pledge at least two middle school invitationals again. It could be even three this year. Not sure about high school, but would like to host one. I sure hope you can host a high school invitational as well.

It was a good year overall for us except "oh we were so close" blues at division C. Looking forward to 2019-2020.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

demir wrote:
windu34 wrote: Working on a March 28th date, but not confirmed yet. It will likely be 1-2 months before a date and location is set (UF or UCF).
March 28 would be fantastic :) How about regional? I hope the regional dates will be closer this year, so we can have more meaningful invitationals for everyone. I pledge at least two middle school invitationals again. It could be even three this year. Not sure about high school, but would like to host one. I sure hope you can host a high school invitational as well.

It was a good year overall for us except "oh we were so close" blues at division C. Looking forward to 2019-2020.
Tentatively, the plan is for UF Regionals to be held on January 18th, 2020, and Florida States to be held at UF on March 28th, 2020.

We will not be hosting an invitational because we will have our hands full planning these two tournaments. We are however looking into opening up our regional tournament to other teams from both within and outside of FL to compete "for fun". They would have to pay an additional registration fee and would not receive medals/trophies and would not be included in the final rankings, but they would be able to come and compete. This is a tentative idea that I would love some feedback on.
retired1
Has thanked: 0

Post by retired1 »

Curious!! What is the rumor of why the switch from UCF to UF for the state meet. Since you are involved with UF, will you have a 1 mile hike for any event like UCF using the education Gym for 4 events.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

retired1 wrote:Curious!! What is the rumor of why the switch from UCF to UF for the state meet. Since you are involved with UF, will you have a 1 mile hike for any event like UCF using the education Gym for 4 events.
I can promise that we will do our best to consolidate event locations as much as possible. The 2019 regional was a bit of a challenge due to administrative issues, but we are starting our room logistics right now actually and hope to resolve it. We also intend to group rooms based on divisions as much as possible, so div b and c will likely be occurring in slightly different parts of campus. The gym is where it is - there isn't much we can do about it. It will be approx 5-12 minute walk depending on which rooms we decide to use. We will give div b priority to be closer to the gym. We plan to try to run our regional similar to the way we will do states as a "dry run" so I would certainly encourage nearby teams to attend our regional if you want to get a feel for what states will feel like.

We are not 100% confirmed for states - but it is pretty likely. We will post an announcement here and via social media when our dates for our tournaments are confirmed.
jaah5211
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Post by jaah5211 »

windu34 wrote:
retired1 wrote:Curious!! What is the rumor of why the switch from UCF to UF for the state meet. Since you are involved with UF, will you have a 1 mile hike for any event like UCF using the education Gym for 4 events.
I can promise that we will do our best to consolidate event locations as much as possible. The 2019 regional was a bit of a challenge due to administrative issues, but we are starting our room logistics right now actually and hope to resolve it. We also intend to group rooms based on divisions as much as possible, so div b and c will likely be occurring in slightly different parts of campus. The gym is where it is - there isn't much we can do about it. It will be approx 5-12 minute walk depending on which rooms we decide to use. We will give div b priority to be closer to the gym. We plan to try to run our regional similar to the way we will do states as a "dry run" so I would certainly encourage nearby teams to attend our regional if you want to get a feel for what states will feel like.

We are not 100% confirmed for states - but it is pretty likely. We will post an announcement here and via social media when our dates for our tournaments are confirmed.
Will you be uploading the circuit lab national exam that you wrote in the drive?

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”