Florida 2019

Killboe
State: AR
Has thanked: 0

Re: Florida 2019

Post by Killboe »

Fluorine wrote:
jaah5211 wrote:Correction. Oss will be going to centerville not solon. However, I think centerville is also a good indicator of the performance of our Division B team. Also, I do agree with Kevin about certain invitationals not serving as a good indicator of performance. Some tournaments in Georgia from my experience were not well run. The test qualities were questionable and the keys seem to be incorrect for few events. However, OSS invitational's quality is increasing and hopefully increases to point where it may serve as a good indicator. As captains, we will make sure that the tests qualities are state to maybe national level for each events. However, when we ask other schools to write tests for certain events, then it becomes quite difficult to control the quality. I think this problem of not being able to write a "good " tests comes from Florida's lack of participation in scioly events such as SSSS. When moderating, it was pretty clear that I saw no submissions from Florida and it was quite sad. Participating in events like these tremendously help when writing tests as the moderators point out mistakes and give general comments on how to make a better or higher quality tests. Even as a moderator I learned so much from other moderators that helped to run the 2018 SSSS. Hopefully we will see increase in Florida's participation in events like these, but it may take long time.
I would argue that it is more to do with the fact that Florida itself is not that competive of state in scioly compeititons, really only Boca High has placed consistently high at nationals and the same two teams have qualfied for nats in the past few years. This creates less of a need for teams to use resources such as scioly.org or SSSS. Furthermore, it sets a standard within the state that directors and supervisor (not all) feel less necessity to run super high quality tournaments/inviationals or don't even have the expereince to know how to run a tournmanet at that level. I just think it is important to contexualize as a whole the science olympiad atmosphere in florida and understand that this affects other things such as user involvement here.

And as windu said above. Good to see the Florida page with new users active, keep up the discussion! I may be a grad but I still check scioly.org here and there

Boca Raton has been amazing ever since 2011. But at 2018 states, they got second... They lost to Archimedean Upper Conservatory, which was surprising to everybody obviously. But Boca Raton isn't really considered a competitive school anymore to most people down here in Florida. They still did good at nationals though.

On the other hand in Division B, it has definitely been getting more competitive. River City came in out of nowhere last year at states and won and now Galaxy beating River City in the OSS Invite. OSS has really stepped up their game and has been pretty strong at every invitational so far. Archimedean is going to participate in their first invitational (of this year) on December 15th. Right now in Florida, I believe the top tier Div B teams are, 1. OSS, 2. Galaxy, #3. River City, and #4 . Archimedean.

Galaxy is definitely a top tier school when it comes to building events. I'd say the best in Florida, but when it comes to academics I believe that's where they fall short. It's going to be much of a rivalry between the bottom 3 schools, but I can almost guarantee if OSS keeps up their work. They will do amazing at every competition that comes to them.

PS. I have never seen this much activity on the Florida forums before
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Some statistics regarding Florida teams' performance at nationals in the past 10 years, to add context:

Average national placement of all B teams: 43.9
Average placement of FL B champion: 42.7
Average placement of FL B runner-up: 45.1
Average national placement of all C teams: 34.0
Average placement of FL C champion: 27.5
Average placement of FL C runner-up: 42.1

Highest performing B team: Archimedean Middle Conservatory (5 firsts, 3 seconds, best placement of 34th, average placement of 41)
Average placement of all other B teams: 45.8
Highest performing C team: Boca Raton Community HS (7 firsts, 2 seconds, best placement of 12th, average placement of 26.7)
Average placement of all other C teams: 41.3
Killboe wrote:Boca Raton has been amazing ever since 2011. But at 2018 states, they got second... They lost to Archimedean Upper Conservatory, which was surprising to everybody obviously. But Boca Raton isn't really considered a competitive school anymore to most people down here in Florida. They still did good at nationals though.
Worth pointing out that Boca Raton placed higher than Archimedean at nationals (27th vs. 30th).
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
jaah5211
State: FL

Post by jaah5211 »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Some statistics regarding Florida teams' performance at nationals in the past 10 years, to add context:

Average national placement of all B teams: 43.9
Average placement of FL B champion: 42.7
Average placement of FL B runner-up: 45.1
Average national placement of all C teams: 34.0
Average placement of FL C champion: 27.5
Average placement of FL C runner-up: 42.1

Highest performing B team: Archimedean Middle Conservatory (5 firsts, 3 seconds, best placement of 34th, average placement of 41)
Average placement of all other B teams: 45.8
Highest performing C team: Boca Raton Community HS (7 firsts, 2 seconds, best placement of 12th, average placement of 26.7)
Average placement of all other C teams: 41.3
Killboe wrote:Boca Raton has been amazing ever since 2011. But at 2018 states, they got second... They lost to Archimedean Upper Conservatory, which was surprising to everybody obviously. But Boca Raton isn't really considered a competitive school anymore to most people down here in Florida. They still did good at nationals though.
Worth pointing out that Boca Raton placed higher than Archimedean at nationals (27th vs. 30th).
This is a good point. Although Boca did slip a little at the state tournament last year, it performed better than Archimedean at Nationals and MIT.
Like Kevin said, making predictions on state tournament result right now is quite difficult. Predicting which schools will place top 6 at state might not be difficult as those placements don't vary as much, but trying to predict which schools will place top 2 and advance to nationals is.

We cannot ignore Boca's past placements at Nationals, especially the 12th place that they earned two years ago. Thus, predicting that Boca will not perform better than Archimedean this year just based on the last years states' result is unreliable. We should wait until the MIT invitational is over and then maybe a prediction can be made. The top three school from last years state tournament will be there (OSS, Boca Raton, and AUC).
demir

Post by demir »

Killboe wrote: But Boca Raton isn't really considered a competitive school anymore to most people down here in Florida.

If Boca Raton is not competitive, then I have no idea which high school in Florida is. Here at OSS, we'd like to believe we are the third best team in Florida and there was some considerable difference between us and them last year. We hope to shrink the gap and hopefully pass at least one of the two, but Boca and Archimedean are by far the best teams still and they are the teams to beat. That will be the case unless shown otherwise.

Killboe wrote: On the other hand in Division B, it has definitely been getting more competitive. River City came in out of nowhere last year at states and won and now Galaxy beating River City in the OSS Invite. OSS has really stepped up their game and has been pretty strong at every invitational so far. Archimedean is going to participate in their first invitational (of this year) on December 15th. Right now in Florida, I believe the top tier Div B teams are, 1. OSS, 2. Galaxy, #3. River City, and #4 . Archimedean.

Galaxy is definitely a top tier school when it comes to building events. I'd say the best in Florida, but when it comes to academics I believe that's where they fall short. It's going to be much of a rivalry between the bottom 3 schools, but I can almost guarantee if OSS keeps up their work. They will do amazing at every competition that comes to them.

Thanks for the flattery. ;) We are more hopeful in Division B, bringing almost the entire team from last year. But I must say you count your chickens way before they become an egg.

Joining the sentiment, it is great to see that we hit the second page in November. I will update more once we have the one and only Division C invitational results from this Saturday. We have a whopping 15+ teams from 8 or so schools. #sarcasm? No wonder we rock the Nationals every year #more sarcasm.

But, we will change that. Good things are happening in Florida.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

On the other hand in Division B, it has definitely been getting more competitive. River City came in out of nowhere last year at states and won and now Galaxy beating River City in the OSS Invite. OSS has really stepped up their game and has been pretty strong at every invitational so far. Archimedean is going to participate in their first invitational (of this year) on December 15th. Right now in Florida, I believe the top tier Div B teams are, 1. OSS, 2. Galaxy, #3. River City, and #4 . Archimedean.

You are right, Boca did lose to Archimedean, but that was only after a nearly decade-long winning streak at the state tournament. Falling down 1 place at 1 tournament after nearly 10 years does not suddenly make Boca a "un-competitive" school anymore. They had a bad year - this happens to the best teams everywhere. You are completely contradicting yourself in saying that Boca "did well at nationals", but "arent competitive" anymore. Sure they lost to Archimedean by 20-30 points at States, but look at how much they were ahead at Nationals. States provides a very poor indicator of a team's ability and competitiveness compared to Nationals.
You are making claims here that you have no business making - it is hard to understand how hard it is to place at nationals until you have, let alone perform well as a team. Getting top 6 at nationals in any event is an extraordinarily difficult accomplishment that very few people accomplish. Your team has won States ONCE, but that does NOT mean you understand how to be a competitive team at the national level, nor does it afford you the credibility to make these claims. States doesnt really hold significant weight to the top teams around the nation, MIT and Nationals results are the only ones that many people take seriously, and for good reason. I would encourage you to reconsider your rash statements and perhaps reflect on what conclusions you can really make based on your experiences

Clarification: I am not trying to make any claims suggesting that Boca was the stronger team last season because of a stronger nationals placement - i dont think the results from States and Nationals give favor to Boca or Archi. My statements were only meant to comment on the quoted claims above.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Killboe

Post by Killboe »

windu34 wrote:

You are right, Boca did lose to Archimedean, but that was only after a nearly decade-long winning streak at the state tournament. Falling down 1 place at 1 tournament after nearly 10 years does not suddenly make Boca a "un-competitive" school anymore. They had a bad year - this happens to the best teams everywhere. You are completely contradicting yourself in saying that Boca "did well at nationals", but "arent competitive" anymore. Sure they lost to Archimedean by 20-30 points at States, but look at how much they were ahead at Nationals. States provides a very poor indicator of a team's ability and competitiveness compared to Nationals.
You are making claims here that you have no business making - it is hard to understand how hard it is to place at nationals until you have, let alone perform well as a team. Getting top 6 at nationals in any event is an extraordinarily difficult accomplishment that very few people accomplish. Your team has won States ONCE, but that does NOT mean you understand how to be a competitive team at the national level, nor does it afford you the credibility to make these claims. States doesnt really hold significant weight to the top teams around the nation, MIT and Nationals results are the only ones that many people take seriously, and for good reason. I would encourage you to reconsider your rash statements and perhaps reflect on what conclusions you can really make based on your experiences

I am very sorry for saying such a bold statement, being "boca isnt really competitive anymore". It was spontaneous and I didn't really mean it that way. They are competitive, but what I would like to say is that they underperformed last year compared to all of their other very strong years. The cause of it is unknown to me. (perhaps they lost a few strong team members?)

I just wanted to state some of the thoughts I had on the schools in Florida and if it offended anybody I'm sorry. Please do not take these predictions very seriously as it is too early in the season to truly know. I am just basing it off the school's current performance (or in Boca Ratons place last year) and theoretically if they were to continue with their performance what the results could be. I do not know how hard it is to medal at Nats and nor did I claim I did. But please do not call me out saying I do not have business making claims, this is a forum site where people discuss these kinds of topics. I understand that it offends people and I have revised my statement.

I understand that you have more of an experience with nationals and more credibility when it comes to these things. But it's not like I'm saying that I have the same or greater credibility then you. It is true that I have won states ONCE, but I do believe that people that do not medal at nationals can have an understanding of how competitive it is. People can tell you and you can have a decent knowingness of it.
BocaBuilder18
Been thanked: 0

Post by BocaBuilder18 »

windu34 wrote:

I was on Boca High’s Team 1 that lost to Archimedean at States (and Regionals) last year, so I can add some perspective to this comment. I understand what you’re saying, but I think a fairer statement might be that, as a whole, Florida Science Olympiad is more competitive.

I don’t think our performance at States last year is indicative of how the team will perform this year. There were several difficult decisions our team had to make towards the 2nd half of the year (due to 2 members quitting after MIT), and we all worked our hardest to try and keep our state-champion streak alive, but Archimedean was simply the better team by competition day.

However, I still believe Boca High will still be competitive this year, mainly because it still has an amazing head coach and an incredibly talented, committed group of students that will work hard throughout the season. With all that being said, I agree that we should wait till MIT to see how Boca performs against other Florida teams.

P.S. Congratulations on winning States last year! As someone who was on the first Boca team to not win states in 10 years, I can tell you that States still meant a lot to us, and we valued our performance and results there just as seriously as we did MIT and Nationals. Winning states is a great accomplishment that I know everyone on our team last year respected and took seriously throughout the season, even though we ultimately fell short of our goal. We genuinely cared about our 2nd place performance at states, as it was vital in showing us where we could improve before Nationals.
Killboe

Post by Killboe »

BocaBuilder18 wrote:
windu34 wrote:

I was on Boca High’s Team 1 that lost to Archimedean at States (and Regionals) last year, so I can add some perspective to this comment. I understand what you’re saying, but I think a fairer statement might be that, as a whole, Florida Science Olympiad is more competitive.

I don’t think our performance at States last year is indicative of how the team will perform this year. There were several difficult decisions our team had to make towards the 2nd half of the year (due to 2 members quitting after MIT), and we all worked our hardest to try and keep our state-champion streak alive, but Archimedean was simply the better team by competition day.

However, I still believe Boca High will still be competitive this year, mainly because it still has an amazing head coach and an incredibly talented, committed group of students that will work hard throughout the season. With all that being said, I agree that we should wait till MIT to see how Boca performs against other Florida teams.

P.S. Congratulations on winning States last year! As someone who was on the first Boca team to not win states in 10 years, I can tell you that States still meant a lot to us, and we valued our performance and results there just as seriously as we did MIT and Nationals. Winning states is a great accomplishment that I know everyone on our team last year respected and took seriously throughout the season, even though we ultimately fell short of our goal. We genuinely cared about our 2nd place performance at states, as it was vital in showing us where we could improve before Nationals.
I don't think I've ever seen a (current) Boca raton team member on the forums before until now! Welcome toooo scioly.

I will save the predictions for February.

Also what competition will be your next at Boca?
BocaBuilder18
Been thanked: 0

Post by BocaBuilder18 »

Killboe wrote:
BocaBuilder18 wrote:
windu34 wrote:You are right, Boca did lose to Archimedean, but that was only after a nearly decade-long winning streak at the state tournament. Falling down 1 place at 1 tournament after nearly 10 years does not suddenly make Boca a "un-competitive" school anymore. They had a bad year - this happens to the best teams everywhere. You are completely contradicting yourself in saying that Boca "did well at nationals", but "arent competitive" anymore. Sure they lost to Archimedean by 20-30 points at States, but look at how much they were ahead at Nationals. States provides a very poor indicator of a team's ability and competitiveness compared to Nationals.

I don't think I've ever seen a (current) Boca raton team member on the forums before until now! Welcome toooo scioly.

I'm actually an alumni (I graduated this past May), but I keep in constant contact with the team members so I know what they're up to and how their events are going. They'll be heading to Ohio next weekend, followed by MIT in January.

To your earlier point, you're right in mentioning how this is a public forum where people with all levels of experience and success can come to state their opinions, regardless of how many medals they have. In fact, if I was new to SciOly and looking at the same information you had available, I probably would have drawn a similar conclusion
jaah5211

Post by jaah5211 »

Killboe wrote:
BocaBuilder18 wrote:
windu34 wrote: You are right, Boca did lose to Archimedean, but that was only after a nearly decade-long winning streak at the state tournament. Falling down 1 place at 1 tournament after nearly 10 years does not suddenly make Boca a "un-competitive" school anymore. They had a bad year - this happens to the best teams everywhere. You are completely contradicting yourself in saying that Boca "did well at nationals", but "arent competitive" anymore. Sure they lost to Archimedean by 20-30 points at States, but look at how much they were ahead at Nationals. States provides a very poor indicator of a team's ability and competitiveness compared to Nationals.

Agreed. It’s nice to see Boca Raton’s past members. Hopefully we will be able to see arhchimedean and Boca Raton’s current members on the forum.

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”