Idaho 2019

Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Idaho 2019

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Since this hasn't been created yet, I guess I'll make it!

Idaho State Date: April 13th, 2019

Idaho mini-Invitationals:
St. Joseph's Catholic School - October 20th, 2018
Bishop Kelly High School - November 17th, 2018
St. Paul's Catholic School - December 1st, 2018
North Junior High School - January 12th, 2019
Capital High School - February 9th, 2019
Sacred Heart Catholic School - March 9th, 2019
NOTE: Each of the mini-invitationals holds 3-5 events for each division, meaning that over the course of all six, all 23 events will have been held once.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Tailsfan101

Re: Idaho 2019

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Here's some early state predictions I have:

Division B
1. TVHSOT/St. Joe's (I don't want to pick between the two, especially since I've heard St. Joe's is stacking a team this year)
2. ^
3. North JH (They've had some great showings at the mini-invites, plus they seem very committed)
4. Sacred Heart (Was the third best school last year, fifth overall)
5. St. Paul's (Also has performed well at mini-invites so far, seems more devoted this year)

Division C
1. TVHSOT (No signs of backing down from last year, where they won by 43 points)
2. Bishop Kelly (Only other team that seems to even be showing up to the mini-invites)
3. Twin Falls (Placed second at state last year, will probably get top three again)
4. Capital (Didn't do as well as they could have last year, but they have the ability to place here)
5. Rigby (Missed out on the top three last year by one point, possibly will be better than fifth)
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
JoJoKeKe
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by JoJoKeKe »

After the conclusion of the Capital invite I thought I'd put a word in.

The mini-invites definitely seem to be a positive development in Idaho. I competed in Herpetology today and thought that things went well and that the difficulty was good for an invite (especially in Idaho where things are just picking up). I have yet to compete at BSU so it will be interesting to see how things have changed.

Also does anybody know the results from today's competition?
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

JoJoKeKe wrote:After the conclusion of the Capital invite I thought I'd put a word in.

The mini-invites definitely seem to be a positive development in Idaho. I competed in Herpetology today and thought that things went well and that the difficulty was good for an invite (especially in Idaho where things are just picking up). I have yet to compete at BSU so it will be interesting to see how things have changed.

Also does anybody know the results from today's competition?
I agree that the mini-invites seem to be a good development to help make ID a bit more competitive, especially for B (most events are tending to have ~12 teams). Hopefully next year they'll progress to 1 or 2 full invitationals and give out medals (and maybe that would attract more than just two C teams, hmm?)

I'm assuming you're referring to the DISCO (Davis) Invitational in Utah; overall team rankings weren't even released so all we know as of now is individual rankings that medaled. Also, medals were only given out to top three, and they didn't have ribbons for or even announce 4-6, which was a bit of a surprise (at least for me).

I have no regrets.
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

More on the DISCO Invitational:

The TVHSOT Division B team earned six medals (2 G, 3 S, 1 B). I didn't keep track of how many our C team earned but I think it was around 10-12. I personally earned a silver medal in Road Scholar, which I'm especially proud of considering how tough this competition seemed to be relative to state.

My opinions on the tests:

Road Scholar (2nd) - The test was way too short. There were only 30 questions, seven of which didn't even end up counting toward the score because the topographic map was missing some details. The difficulty was alright, and I enjoyed the highway map questions, but it should tell you something that we finished a test that should usually take 45-50 minutes in half an hour. 5/10

Crime Busters (6th) - This test was enjoyable. It was based off Star Wars, my favorite part being that "Hanz Solow" was covered in "some unidentifiable animal hair, not cat or dog". By the time I finished writing the analysis, we had about a minute left, so the length was good. 8/10

Disease Detectives (3rd) - Geez, this test was long. There were 21 pages to it, and we only had a few questions left and the end of 50 minutes. Surprisingly, there weren't a ton of questions, as most of the test was an outbreak scenario. I did kind of enjoy this test, but I would have enjoyed it more had it not felt like a Nationals test. 8/10

Heredity (4th) - This test seemed to be a bit too short, as we finished in 26 minutes. They gave the same test to B and C, so our test felt a bit challenging. However, we still got a pretty good score, and the test was enjoyable, so it wasn't the worst test I took on the day. 8/10

Elastic Launched Glider (6th) - Not much to say here, except that the event supervisors were nice and helpful, and seemed to know what they were doing. Our glider didn't fly very well, but that's not their fault. 7/10

Also, here's some predictions for team results after listening to the awards ceremony:

Division B
1. Fairfield JHS
2. South Hills MS
3. West HS
4. TVHSOT
5. Centennial JHS

Division C
1. TVHSOT
2. Maple Mountain HS
3. West HS
4. Uintah HS
5. Layton HS?
Last edited by Tailsfan101 on February 13th, 2019, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have no regrets.
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

An update on our B team at DISCO:

There were at least two events that were affected by teams not knowing their team numbers, which resulted in our team gaining a medal and losing one at the same time. At this time, our team is ranked 5th. I have not received overall rankings, but I will post them as soon as I do.

I have no regrets.
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Tentative DISCO rankings for Division B:

1. South Hills
2. Fairfield
3. West HS
4. Centennial
5. TVHSOT

I have no regrets.
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Only 10 days 'till state! Does anyone else have predictions?

Here's an update on my predictions:

Division B
1. TVHSOT (We've definitely been putting in the effort this year, and I feel we still have a good chance of defending our title)
2. North JH (Mini-invite results have been almost identical to TVHSOT, and if North really pushes, they may pull the upset)
3. St. Joe's (While St. Joe's seems to be on the decline, I still can't see them outside of the top 3)
4. Fairmont (2nd at state two years ago, this seems plausible)
5. Sacred Heart (3rd overall school last year, they seem to have been trying a bit harder lately)

NOTE: From what I've heard, ID C only has 5 competing teams this year, which is probably why the Nats team number is C59
Division C
1. TVHSOT (They've won just about every event at the mini-invites, and won DISCO)
2. Bishop Kelly (As the only other team to attend the mini-invites, I think BK may be trying a bit harder this year)
3. Twin Falls (After an impressive 2nd place at state last year, they've definitely shown they can contend, and may end up 2nd again)
4. Capital (Went to Nats three years ago, and while they certainly didn't perform that well last year, they have the capability of ending up 4th)
5. Weiser (Is unlikely to place in the top 3, but might still end up 4th)

I have no regrets.
MissAmargasaurus
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MissAmargasaurus »

Really excited to compete on Saturday! It's really a shame that so few C teams are participating though. :cry: I wonder what's caused the sudden drop in teams, while B has remained relatively stable? My family speculates that a lot of schools have been prioritizing robotics competitions instead of S.O. It's going to be really close between the teams that compete I think, with the way everyone has been practicing it could be anyone going to nationals.

Also I'm so happy we had all the mini-invites this year! It's a huge step forward for Idaho and gave everyone a lot of experience I think. I can't wait to see how they improve next season.
2016-17: Expd, Invasive Species, Wind Power, Forenics
2017-18: Expd, Ecology, Herp
2018-19: Expd, Fossils, Herp, Wright Stuff
2019-20: Expd, Fossils, Ornith, Wright Stuff

TVHSOT captain of 2019-20. Finding your passion in events is the road to victory! I love ancient creatures & rocks. <3
NeBH

Post by NeBH »

I'm up, dark and early, getting ready for State!

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”