Idaho 2019

Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Re: Idaho 2019

Post by Tailsfan101 »

FINAL RESULTS

Division B
1. Saint Joseph's Catholic School A (110)
2. Treasure Valley Homeschool (135)
3. Saint Joseph's Catholic School B (147)
4. North Junior High School (156)
5. Fairmont Junior High School (177)

Division C
1. Treasure Valley Homeschool (28!!!!!!)
2. Bishop Kelly High School
3. Rigby High School

First of all, BIG congratulations to St. Joe's. They stacked a team this year, unlike last year, and I'm very excited to see how they do at Nats! They definitely deserve to go.
Second of all, congratulations to our HS team on what has to be a state record of TWENTY-EIGHT POINTS!!!
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Tailsfan101 wrote:FINAL RESULTS

Division B

Division C
3. Rigby High School

First of all, BIG congratulations to St. Joe's. They stacked a team this year, unlike last year, and I'm very excited to see how they do at Nats! They definitely deserve to go.
Second of all, congratulations to our HS team on what has to be a state record of TWENTY-EIGHT POINTS!!!
Hey, sorry man, it really sucks that you guys lost. You’re being a really good sport about it, but I know that the feeling of loss is still there.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
MissAmargasaurus
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MissAmargasaurus »

What a great day! I'm totally exhausted now, wow. A huge congratulations to all the other teams who competed with us!

Like I did last year, here's my opinion on the events I did. I think overall it was really an improvement from last year, and I'm glad to see S.O improve here.

Fossils: (1st ) There were so many specimens!! It was great to see a specimen for almost every station, especially since I've only twice gotten to compete with them. There was a nice mix of questions (I really liked the ones that involved drawing, even if we didn't know the answers for them) although I do wish there were some more difficult ones tossed in. The time for each station was good and the rotation made sense.

Experimental Design: (1st) The prompt was a HUGE improvement for state and I really had a lot of fun doing the experiment. It overall was a good event, but there was some confusion from the event supervisors about how splitting up the sections worked. While they did have the 20 minutes for only the experiment taking portion of the event, they thought initially that during this time that teams could not take any materials and run an experiment. Enough of us said something and they reread the rules and let us use the materials, but since we were the last experimental design slot of the day I worry about how it might have affected the score of earlier teams.

Wright Stuff: (2nd) It was a disaster for me and my partner, but the actual event was well run! The proctors knew what they were doing and measured everything well, and everything went very smoothly when it came to that part. I don't really have much else to say here. Not sure what happened with our plane when we tested it, but we'll figure out what's wrong before nationals.

Herpetology: The test got even better from last year! There was a great mix of ID questions and more knowledge based ones (although I would have preferred a few harder ones, there were several that had me and my partner stumped, which was good) and moving from each station was a lot smoother this time. The only criticism I would have is that 4 minutes seemed a bit long, as we often were finished before that time. I think even 3:30 minutes would work better, but also with the number of questions each station had, anything lower than that and it would have been close to impossible.

Can't wait to see what Idaho brings us next year!
2016-17: Expd, Invasive Species, Wind Power, Forenics
2017-18: Expd, Ecology, Herp
2018-19: Expd, Fossils, Herp, Wright Stuff
2019-20: Expd, Fossils, Ornith, Wright Stuff

TVHSOT captain of 2019-20. Finding your passion in events is the road to victory! I love ancient creatures & rocks. <3
MissAmargasaurus
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by MissAmargasaurus »

Tailsfan101 wrote:FINAL RESULTS

Division B

Division C
3. Rigby High School

It's gonna be sad not having you guys with us there. :( I know you all did a great job though, and congrats on all the medals you got! I'm excited to see what St. Joe's brings to nationals. (Thank you for the congratulations on the 28 points, I'm still shocked by that!! :shock: )
2016-17: Expd, Invasive Species, Wind Power, Forenics
2017-18: Expd, Ecology, Herp
2018-19: Expd, Fossils, Herp, Wright Stuff
2019-20: Expd, Fossils, Ornith, Wright Stuff

TVHSOT captain of 2019-20. Finding your passion in events is the road to victory! I love ancient creatures & rocks. <3
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Okay, I will admit, I'm a bit (okay, a lot) disappointed to not have won state, I'm still proud of how I performed in my events, and I look forward to seeing how both Idaho teams do at Nationals. Just as a note, the stacked St. Joe's team had an event they didn't even compete in (Experimental Design), which was worth 34 points. Had they even competed and gotten dead last, it would have dropped their score to 93.

Anyway, here's my opinions on the tests:

Road Scholar (1st) - This was an excellent test. There was a wide range of variability on the questions, including one section which I don't think anyone could have expected. The test also didn't have any "gimmes", with all of the 44 questions possessing at least some degree of difficulty. The one problem I had with the test was there was no map drawing, which was a bit of a disappointment to my partner and I. Nonetheless, this was a very well-written test with an exciting story. 9/10

Crime Busters (1st) - This was my favorite event on the day. The ES was very helpful, and the test was, in my opinion, a very good test for a state competition. There were 14 unknowns, not to mention I got to test fibers, hairs, plastics (density test!), chromatography, and analyze physical evidence. There were five suspects, which offered an interesting level of difficulty, and just hard enough to prevent my partner and I from finishing the analysis (though, from what I could observe, it didn't look like many teams did). Great job to the test writers and supervisors of this event! 10/10

Disease Detectives (2nd) - Yet another well-written test. The length surprised me (16 pages), but we were able to finish in time. The questions covered pretty much everything DD should cover, and while they gave the same test to B and C, there were some questions for C only, which was an improvement from last year. 9/10

Heredity (4th) - This test was certainly the worst test I took on the day, but only because the others were all very good. My main problem with it was that it was run in stations, which to me was a problem considering it was only about 30-40 questions long (and there were 11 stations). The test itself was a good test, and it covered all the aspects of the event. It would have been a much better event for me if it wasn't in stations, though, since I spent more than half of my time waiting to rotate to the next station... 7/10
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

A couple updates:

First, I now have full Division C scores.
1. TVHSOT (28)
2. Bishop Kelly (62)
3. Rigby (82)
4. Twin Falls (87)
5. Weiser (117)

Second, I'm going to Nationals. Due to conflicts on our HS team, I've been selected to compete in GeoLogic Mapping and Write It Do It.

I have no regrets.
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

Tailsfan101 wrote:A couple updates:

1. TVHSOT (28)
2. Bishop Kelly (62)
3. Rigby (82)
4. Twin Falls (87)
5. Weiser (117)

Second, I'm going to Nationals. Due to conflicts on our HS team, I've been selected to compete in GeoLogic Mapping and Write It Do It.
Hm... is that allowed? In some states, the rule is that if you compete for a division B team during a season you can't compete for a division C team, or vice versa. It might be a national rule... you should check with SOINC.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
TheCrazyChemist

Post by TheCrazyChemist »

1. TVHSOT (28)
2. Bishop Kelly (62)
3. Rigby (82)
4. Twin Falls (87)
5. Weiser (117)

Nice! That's really cool, I didn't know that people who compete in Div. B could also compete in Div. C. My guess is that it's going to be a lot harder to compete in Div. C. Good luck!
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

TheCrazyChemist wrote:

1. TVHSOT (28)
2. Bishop Kelly (62)
3. Rigby (82)
4. Twin Falls (87)
5. Weiser (117)

Nice! That's really cool, I didn't know that people who compete in Div. B could also compete in Div. C. My guess is that it's going to be a lot harder to compete in Div. C. Good luck!
They usually can't (at least in New York and California). Not sure why this was allowed?
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

kate! wrote:
TheCrazyChemist wrote:

1. TVHSOT (28)
2. Bishop Kelly (62)
3. Rigby (82)
4. Twin Falls (87)
5. Weiser (117)

They usually can't (at least in New York and California). Not sure why this was allowed?
My HS coach seems to think it's allowed, and she's very knowledgeable about SO. While soinc.org says teams may only compete in one Division at a school, my coach says that's per competition, and you can change the roster between competitions.

I have no regrets.

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”