BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Post by BennyTheJett »

chalker wrote:
kate! wrote: Yeah, I agree as well. Even though I wasn't there and didn't see the strobe lights, I know how big of a problem they can be for people that suffer from epilepsy or just have generally sensitive eyesight. Whoever organizes this stuff should think about the potential effects of strobe lights and consider not using them in the future, like Gabe said.
Heard loud and clear and sorry about that. I didn't realize they were using them that much and was backstage too much to notice the issue, but I heard this from other people as well. We've already discussed it within the National Office.
Out of curiosity chalker, can you tell me how many points separated first and second, and second and third in GeoLogic Mapping?
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

sciolyperson1 wrote:We can start posting to "Best of 2019", right?
Here is the page: The Best of 2019 Wiki. Please let us know if any help is needed with uploading photos or video the page.
BennyTheJett wrote:
chalker wrote:
kate! wrote: Yeah, I agree as well. Even though I wasn't there and didn't see the strobe lights, I know how big of a problem they can be for people that suffer from epilepsy or just have generally sensitive eyesight. Whoever organizes this stuff should think about the potential effects of strobe lights and consider not using them in the future, like Gabe said.
Heard loud and clear and sorry about that. I didn't realize they were using them that much and was backstage too much to notice the issue, but I heard this from other people as well. We've already discussed it within the National Office.
Out of curiosity chalker, can you tell me how many points separated first and second, and second and third in GeoLogic Mapping?
We should avoid requesting score specifics from event officials as it tends to start a trend of similar specific requests that for the purpose of learning science aren't that meaningful. Instead, discuss the content and quality of events, which can be done in the National Event Discussion topic. Also, the national tournament does not release raw scores to teams or coaches as part of score reporting.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
jslocum
Has thanked: 0

Post by jslocum »

Once again, I'd like to ask when the official photos will be posted. All of the local news stories have already run, and it would have been nice to have the official photos for the stories. In either case, we'd still like to have them soon. There are still some uses for the school before it ends for the year. It shouldn't take that long to upload some photos. Does anyone on here have any influence over this process? Will they be put out by soinc.org or by Cornell?
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

jslocum wrote:Once again, I'd like to ask when the official photos will be posted. All of the local news stories have already run, and it would have been nice to have the official photos for the stories. In either case, we'd still like to have them soon. There are still some uses for the school before it ends for the year. It shouldn't take that long to upload some photos. Does anyone on here have any influence over this process? Will they be put out by soinc.org or by Cornell?
https://www.scienceolympiad2019.org/awards-ceremony
https://www.scienceolympiad2019.org/pre-tournament
https://www.scienceolympiad2019.org/opening-ceremony
https://www.scienceolympiad2019.org/tournament-day

I think they're posting the medalers on the Scioly Alumni Network as well. (dont quote me on that lol)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
jslocum

Post by jslocum »

Thanks sciolyperson1... I had actually found those. What I'm looking for specifically is the head on picture taken of my team when we won the Spirit Award. All we have currently are pictures from the side which tend to block out a bunch of faces. I'd love to get the pic that was taken on the ladder directly in front. I'll keep my eye on the Alumni Network for updates. Thanks again!
winchesetr
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by winchesetr »

Unome wrote:
dxu46 wrote:The classical music was also a hard no. Although I like classical and all, most people don't. I personally didn't enjoy the music that much because I don't like that type of classical music, so something with more core and more in the romantic era or something would be better. Or, just choose non-classical music and appeal to the majority of the people there.

Anticipating a post from UTF: No.
Even if I liked classical music, I can't imagine that particular music being a good fit. It's easily the worst Nationals Awards music I can remember (of course, that's still better than Nebraska).

Oh man Nebraska's nats music brings back memories - it sounded like a death march hahaha. Also, the music did not come through the livestream well at all - it was very screechy.
I like soup.

Harriton High School Class of 2017

SOUP Disease Detectives 2018-Present
DUSO Disease Detectives 2019-Present
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

winchesetr wrote:
Unome wrote:
dxu46 wrote:The classical music was also a hard no. Although I like classical and all, most people don't. I personally didn't enjoy the music that much because I don't like that type of classical music, so something with more core and more in the romantic era or something would be better. Or, just choose non-classical music and appeal to the majority of the people there.

Anticipating a post from UTF: No.
Even if I liked classical music, I can't imagine that particular music being a good fit. It's easily the worst Nationals Awards music I can remember (of course, that's still better than Nebraska).

Oh man Nebraska's nats music brings back memories - it sounded like a death march hahaha. Also, the music did not come through the livestream well at all - it was very screechy.
Oh I'm not talking about the terrible Opening music, I'm talking about the total silence during Awards.
jslocum wrote:Thanks sciolyperson1... I had actually found those. What I'm looking for specifically is the head on picture taken of my team when we won the Spirit Award. All we have currently are pictures from the side which tend to block out a bunch of faces. I'd love to get the pic that was taken on the ladder directly in front. I'll keep my eye on the Alumni Network for updates. Thanks again!
Usually NSO will post them to Facebook - likely this week. They wouldn't have been posted during the last few days because anyone who could have done so was busy.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
DoctorFei
Been thanked: 0

Post by DoctorFei »

Does anyone know when the award photos from the booth with other competitors will be released on facebook?
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Best part of Nationals: our team beating Troy in four events!!! (Herpetology, Protein Modeling, Wright Stuff, and Write It Do It)
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
SOPomo

Post by SOPomo »

sciolyperson1 wrote: It really wasn't a great day for anyone except Kennedy - winning score for C was 231, and Solon Ms bombed roller as well...
Kennedy had enough of a lead that even if Solon's roller coaster got 1st, they'd still be in 2nd.

I've been telling my team since January's invites that this was CA's year in B. Glad to see Kennedy do so well.

Return to “2019 Nationals”