bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Post by bernard »

Let's save the "quality of nationals" topic for a General Chat post, as it is not specific to the Cornell University national tournament and may distract from the logistics-focused discussion here.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

pb5754[] wrote:
TheCrazyChemist wrote:
SONica wrote:
Totally agree. Even harder for kids from west coast. They have a time difference of 3 hours, which means kids need to get up 2 or 3 am their west coast time.
That really sucks for anybody who's not in eastern or central time.
oof I can't even wake up at 6 am ever and I'm in eastern time.
I would hope they would consider a Friday test session that would not be such a zoo and hardship, then offer a Saturday early session to schools that did not check in and fly on Friday. The reason they went to Saturday testing is some schools claimed Friday was unfair, as they arrive late Friday.

Since DD and ED are at 7am (along with impounds) in both B and C, the test session would have to be very early.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

coachchuckaahs wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:
TheCrazyChemist wrote: That really sucks for anybody who's not in eastern or central time.
oof I can't even wake up at 6 am ever and I'm in eastern time.
I would hope they would consider a Friday test session that would not be such a zoo and hardship, then offer a Saturday early session to schools that did not check in and fly on Friday. The reason they went to Saturday testing is some schools claimed Friday was unfair, as they arrive late Friday.

Since DD and ED are at 7am (along with impounds) in both B and C, the test session would have to be very early.

Coach Chuck
Last year the trim flight time was during the 7am time block, so my team could not use it.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Post by coachchuckaahs »

That would be quite unfair, with several tasks plus impound in the 7am hour.

Coach Chuck
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Post by coachchuckaahs »

I am assured by Nationals that they are doing everything they can to accommodate test session(s). So while early Saturday morning is on the table, keep your eyes out for possible additional information. Thank you to those who have expressed opinions on here. The organizers are aware that an hour Saturday morning may not be ideal, and are working on options. There are many factors involved, including access to facilities, so things may not change, but they have heard you/us.

Hope to see y'all at "Float" screenings at Nationals.

Coach Chuck
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

ESUS Help

Post by Riptide »

Our time slots got screwed up and now we can’t do sounds. We’re currently signed up for 10:45-11:45 and need either 12:00-1:00 or 1:15-2:15. If you have ANY flexibility in your esus please let me know we’re desperate. We can switch some of our other events to accommodate possibly. We also currently have 12:00-1:00 boomilever and need either 10:45-11:45 or 2:30-3:30. Thanks to anyone that can help!

Edit: If anyone has 9:30-10:30 sounds and is free to move to 10:45-11:45 that could also work.
Last edited by Riptide on May 14th, 2019, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Riptide wrote:Our time slots got screwed up and now we can’t do sounds. We’re currently signed up for 10:45-11:45 and need either 12:00-1:00 or 1:15-2:15. If you have ANY flexibility in your esus please let me know we’re desperate. We can switch some of our other events to accommodate possibly. We also currently have 12:00-1:00 boomilever and need either 10:45-11:45 or 2:30-3:30. Thanks to anyone that can help!
Wow you really are from Texas :P

(now let me just edit that title back)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ericlepanda
Division: C
State: IL

Post by ericlepanda »

Hey guys, my team (new trier) also has a similar problem with sounds of music. We’re currently signed up for the 12pm slot but we need 9:30 AM in order to have both of our members compete. If anyone has 9:30 available and can switch to 12pm, please pm me.
ntso
quack quack
Nats2019
Tournament
Tournament
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nats2019 »

Regarding time slots for self-scheduled events, we're glad to see teams working out slots amongst each other!

Please note: If you are going to trade time slots, you MUST have your coach complete the swap on Ezra to make it official (otherwise we can't let the switch happen)! What we've seen schools do in the past is have both schools go onto the system at the same time, click the little "x" that's located on their event time slot to de-select it, and then press submit. After that, immediately re-sign up for the opposite time slot (making sure to press submit again)!

In other news, it feels like we are approaching the tournament at light speed! Dining times, room maps, and more fun activities will be posted this weekend into next week! (For all the competitors out there, yes, we'll have nice printed maps AND a google-based map to help everyone get around + tons of signage around campus!)
2019 Science Olympiad National Tournament - Cornell University
Official Tournament Account
http://www.scienceolympiad2019.org
ScienceIsAwesome
Been thanked: 0

Post by ScienceIsAwesome »

Nats2019 wrote:Regarding time slots for self-scheduled events, we're glad to see teams working out slots amongst each other!

Please note: If you are going to trade time slots, you MUST have your coach complete the swap on Ezra to make it official (otherwise we can't let the switch happen)! What we've seen schools do in the past is have both schools go onto the system at the same time, click the little "x" that's located on their event time slot to de-select it, and then press submit. After that, immediately re-sign up for the opposite time slot (making sure to press submit again)!

In other news, it feels like we are approaching the tournament at light speed! Dining times, room maps, and more fun activities will be posted this weekend into next week! (For all the competitors out there, yes, we'll have nice printed maps AND a google-based map to help everyone get around + tons of signage around campus!)
Can you Nats2019 give anything more regarding flight tests for DivC Wright Stuff and DivB ELG? Many teams have asked if there are Friday times due to impound and event issues Saturday morning.

Return to “2019 Nationals”