Frost0125
Division: C
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Post by Frost0125 »

Hello!
My team just qualified for Nationals for the first time. We're complete newbies, so I was wondering if anyone can give me an overview of things we should know for Nationals.
2020/2021 Events: Chem Lab, Codebusters, Experimental Design, Fast Facts
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Frost0125 wrote:Hello!
My team just qualified for Nationals for the first time. We're complete newbies, so I was wondering if anyone can give me an overview of things we should know for Nationals.
I'd start by taking a look at the national website:
https://www.scienceolympiad2019.org/

Any specific questions you might have?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Frost0125

Post by Frost0125 »

MadCow2357 wrote:
Frost0125 wrote:Hello!
I'd start by taking a look at the national website:
https://www.scienceolympiad2019.org/

Any specific questions you might have?
Thank you, the website is very helpful!
Nats2019
Tournament
Tournament
Has thanked: 0

Post by Nats2019 »

rfscoach wrote:
Nats2019 wrote:
Chiweenie wrote:What day will the trial events be held?
A Friday schedule with Trials and Oldies but Goodies events is now up on our website! Click on "Tournament Event Schedule" or "Event Information"!
Both div B oldies for teams 1-20 are in the same time block. Is there a reason 1-20 have to do them at the same time while 21-60 have staggered blocks?

If you just flip flop teams 1-20 and teams 21-40 in What are You Trying to Tell Me slots , then none of the B Trials and Oldies times conflict for any team...
Our mistake! There will be no conflicts for any trial or oldies event! The schedule will be updated today - the two time slots were just flipped by accident!
2019 Science Olympiad National Tournament - Cornell University
Official Tournament Account
http://www.scienceolympiad2019.org
Galahad
Division: Grad
State: HI

Post by Galahad »

Nats2019 wrote:
rfscoach wrote:
Nats2019 wrote:
A Friday schedule with Trials and Oldies but Goodies events is now up on our website! Click on "Tournament Event Schedule" or "Event Information"!
Both div B oldies for teams 1-20 are in the same time block. Is there a reason 1-20 have to do them at the same time while 21-60 have staggered blocks?

If you just flip flop teams 1-20 and teams 21-40 in What are You Trying to Tell Me slots , then none of the B Trials and Oldies times conflict for any team...
Our mistake! There will be no conflicts for any trial or oldies event! The schedule will be updated today - the two time slots were just flipped by accident!
Is there a list for Name That Artifact?
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
Frost0125

Post by Frost0125 »

Hello,
I know the awards ceremony for Nationals is a lot different than the ones for States and Regionals, but I don't know too much about it. As a newcomer, all I know is that the awards are much more formal, but are there any other major differences?
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

Frost0125 wrote:Hello,
I know the awards ceremony for Nationals is a lot different than the ones for States and Regionals, but I don't know too much about it. As a newcomer, all I know is that the awards are much more formal, but are there any other major differences?
1) If you think you're gonna medal in ANYTHING, wear formal clothing (not like overly formal but look at previous livestreams)
2) IIRC alternates aren't allowed to sit with the rest of the team. Weird, but probably because of space limitations.
3) It's always held in a really large stadium. Awards ceremony is pretty nice ngl lmao
4) Bill Nye nats 2020? :?: (just a rumor)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

builderguy135 wrote:
1) If you think you're gonna medal in ANYTHING, wear formal clothing (not like overly formal but look at previous livestreams)
2) IIRC alternates aren't allowed to sit with the rest of the team. Weird, but probably because of space limitations.
3) It's always held in a really large stadium. Awards ceremony is pretty nice ngl lmao
1) Do it anyway, plus you never know if you'll medal. The extent of the formality is up to you, but I recommend a minimum of dress shirt and pants (or equivalent for girls, idk what that would be), but many people will go more formal than that (I typically wore a suit jacket and tie as well)
2) Varies. Usually alternates are seated with the general seating due to space limitations but not always. In 2017 they assigned seating based on the declared number of alternates.

You can find videos of past National tournaments on Youtube. The last three years in particular are good examples.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Frost0125

Post by Frost0125 »

Unome wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:
1) Do it anyway, plus you never know if you'll medal. The extent of the formality is up to you, but I recommend a minimum of dress shirt and pants (or equivalent for girls, idk what that would be), but many people will go more formal than that (I typically wore a suit jacket and tie as well)
2) Varies. Usually alternates are seated with the general seating due to space limitations but not always. In 2017 they assigned seating based on the declared number of alternates.

You can find videos of past National tournaments on Youtube. The last three years in particular are good examples.
Thank you!
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Unome wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:

1) Wearing formal is pretty much a must, but yea, I agree with Unome - a minimum of a dress shirt or pants, or something to allow you to "blend in". As long as you dont look out of place with like a bright neon green under armour shirt, you're fine.
2) Last year it was 15 students + 1 coach, if that helps

TL;DR: Its pretty much the opposite of the opening ceremony - no cheesey (heh) hats, no team shirts, its really just a formal event.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage

Return to “2019 Nationals”