2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Cow481
Division: B
State: PA

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby Cow481 » May 1st, 2019, 6:46 pm

So if I get 60th do I get an award? :?:
Yes. You just have to be good enough to lose to everyone else.
A true skill... good luck to all. :lol:
Lol, rip nats 2018, i got dead last in mystery
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:

bearasauras
State: CA

Postby bearasauras » May 1st, 2019, 7:07 pm

Yes. You just have to be good enough to lose to everyone else.
A true skill... good luck to all. :lol:
Lol, rip nats 2018, i got dead last in mystery
Oof! How did that happen? I think this is going to remain a...

...mystery

19alekb
State: IL

Postby 19alekb » May 1st, 2019, 7:39 pm

At this point, is everyone just mainly studying for two events that they think they can medal in? I'm basically doing that(still studying for my other events, just not as much in depth.)

MadCow2357
Division: C
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » May 1st, 2019, 7:54 pm

At this point, is everyone just mainly studying for two events that they think they can medal in? I'm basically doing that(still studying for my other events, just not as much in depth.)
Yeah tbh i'm focusing on boomi and buggy but I'm still gonna put a bunch of work in for fossils and thermo. Especially thermo, since i suck so badly at it that it's not even funny... :lol:
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and hopefully Gravity Vehicle
Member of the Builder Cult and DMAH
Assassinator 134, 144
Gallagher Middle School '19
Barrington High School '23
God Bless Len Joeris (Balsa Man) - Don't cry because he is gone. Smile because he was here.

19alekb

Postby 19alekb » May 1st, 2019, 7:57 pm

Our thermo team is having some issues. Density and potions are what I'm really working on. Some solar. Not much circuit.

builderguy135
State: NJ

Postby builderguy135 » May 1st, 2019, 7:58 pm

No. If you want your team to do well you have to do all of your events, not just two. Bombing those other events is really, really bad and they add a lot to your team score. Although you might not place as well, I highly suggest focusing on all your events to not let your team down. I'm doing 6 events and working hard in all of them. It's the only way to (hopefully) be more consistent as a team and place better.
HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019
2020 Events: Detector/PPP/Sounds/Wright

19alekb

Postby 19alekb » May 1st, 2019, 8:00 pm

No. If you want your team to do well you have to do all of your events, not just two. Bombing those other events is really, really bad and they add a lot to your team score. Although you might not place as well, I highly suggest focusing on all your events to not let your team down. I'm doing 6 events and working hard in all of them. It's the only way to (hopefully) be more consistent as a team and place better.
How do you have time to fully devote to 6 events?

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » May 1st, 2019, 8:13 pm

^ totally agree, but for lower placing teams (Marie Murphy and Community are both top-performing teams so they are excluded) it's a good idea to have each team member focus on an event or two. Since there is pretty much no way some teams will be placing, individual medals are essentially the only ways to "get a little glory". Like, whether my team places 41 or 49 doesn't really matter that much, so it's okay if we severely bomb our events as long as we can do well in certain ones.
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and hopefully Gravity Vehicle
Member of the Builder Cult and DMAH
Assassinator 134, 144
Gallagher Middle School '19
Barrington High School '23
God Bless Len Joeris (Balsa Man) - Don't cry because he is gone. Smile because he was here.

19alekb

Postby 19alekb » May 1st, 2019, 8:18 pm

^ totally agree, but for lower placing teams (Marie Murphy and Community are both top-performing teams so they are excluded) it's a good idea to have each team member focus on an event or two. Since there is pretty much no way some teams will be placing, individual medals are essentially the only ways to "get a little glory". Like, whether my team places 41 or 49 doesn't really matter that much, so it's okay if we severely bomb our events as long as we can do well in certain ones.
That makes sense. I just meant that I still expect to do well in my other events, except some events I feel very strong in that if I put in extra time for them, I could get a very high placement.

builderguy135
State: NJ

Postby builderguy135 » May 1st, 2019, 8:35 pm

How do you have time to fully devote to 6 events?
grind grind grind grind grind

ngl though since most of my events are builds/really light studies its a bit easier for me
HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019
2020 Events: Detector/PPP/Sounds/Wright

Return to “2019 Nationals”