13. Tower Heights
14. Eagle Hill
15. Lakeshore
16. Hamilton
17. Slauson
18. Harlan Rowe
19. Ladue
20. Bedford
1. As much as I'd like them to, I'm not really sure if Community will win or not. I guess you can put them in 1st but personally I'm on the fence.
2. Kennedy is a strong team, we all know. However, there's simply no way to compare them to East Coast teams. They could be better, they could be worse. But I honestly think they're not going to beat Solon.
3. Solon should be top 2. Did you see their states score? Sure, they weren't as good in the beginning of the season, but they've improved, and their consistency is what's going to help them the most.
4. No. I mean, they're a very strong team, and their states score knocked everyone else out of the park, but I'm afraid something is going to happen like last year. I don't see them as 4th. I just think they're not as consistent as other top teams and they shouldn't be right behind the top 3. That being said, I don't know who should be in their place. Maybe you're right.
5. Fair enough. I don't know enough about Daniel Wright to accurately predict how they'll do, but 5th seems good. Weaker than past years, stronger than most teams.
6. I said this in another thread, and I'll say it again. Gelinas is being seriously overrated. Yes, they're going to be top 10, but I don't see that dramatic of an increase in their placement. Yes, their performance at Cornell was impressive and quite shocking. But was it an extremely close competition as well? Absolutely. Yes, their states score was admirable and could have been record-breaking were it not for an error in Roller Coaster, but it certainly wasn't that much lower than past years' scores. In general, states scores do not correlate to nats placements for Gelinas and I don't think it's evidence enough (combined with Cornell results and other invitationals) to put them this high up. I personally would put them 8th at the most.
7. This I absolutely agree with. Kraemer is a powerhouse team that works extremely hard and is super motivated and consistent, and I believe that is going to get them 7th or maybe even higher this year.
8. While I would disagree with this, my recent mentality for predictions has become "Well, who's going to beat them?". This is exactly the case for Marie Murphy. 8th seems too high for them, but the reality is that no other teams are really that much better than them.
9. Honestly, see above. Piedmont seems to be weaker this year, but not that much weaker.
10. Sorry Highlands, but I don't think you're going to get top 10. A lot has changed between this year and last year, and while they're certainly a powerful team, state results really aren't indicative of what'll happen at nats because Hawaii is... not one of the most competitive states. It's hard to compare Highlands to other teams because of A) how much every team has changed since invitationals and B) lack of East Coast invitationals. We'll see what happens, though. This isn't too far of a reach.
11. We all know Springhouse is weaker this year. But come on. They're not going to drop out of the top 10. Low 10s? Sure. But not below 10th. They're still a very competitive team, and while they have lost some of their strength, it's not that much of a dramatic decrease.
12. We haven't heard much about Longfellow this year. I'll base this on their state score- they only won by 22 points. They also seem relatively inconsistent for a relatively uncompetitive state. Though they have a history of doing well at nationals, I don't think they're going to get 12th, but they will stay in this range.
13. Sure, I agree with this. Tower Heights is a respectable team, and they're absolutely good enough to get 13th and maybe even higher. We'll see.
14. Nope. Sorry, Eagle Hill. Listen, I know it seemed like Eagle Hill dominated at states (behind Gelinas, of course) and showed off their admirable consistency, but the truth is, the top 5 teams were generally weaker this year. (I'm not speaking for Bay Academy, they have definitely come a long way and did really, really well this year, but the fact that they lost by ~50 points shows how relatively uncompetitive this year was compared to last year. It was still competitive, definitely, but not at the level it was for last year especially within the top 5. Goff and Murphy were absolutely weaker.) I still think Eagle Hill will place within this range, but at least 3 or 4 places lower.
15. Everyone is really underrating Lakeshore. I've said it before and I'll say it again. They deserve several places higher than 15th. Their history shows how strong of a team they can be, and the fact that they won states shows that they mean business. People think that just because they're not Meads Mill, they're not good. Absolutely not. I believe in Lakeshore and I know they deserve better than how people are predicting them.
16. I'm going to be honest here. I know literally nothing about Hamilton. I'm looking at the wiki now and their states score this year is very similar to their states score last year. 16th or 17th seems reasonable.
17. Nope. No way. Slauson is going to do better than this. Granted, they did get a way lower states score than last year, but similar to Lakeshore and other teams, states score does not correlate to nationals score. I think Slauson will get 15th or 16th because they seem to improve between states and nats at least based on last year.
18. Not sure. I'm really on the fence about this. I have a wider range of places in my head for Harlan Rowe because I'm unsure about how they're going to deal with nationals due to lack of experience. Yes, they're consistent. Yes, they got 9th at Cornell. Yes, their builds are good. But is that enough for a new team to nats? I honestly do not know. I would place them slightly lower.
19. Oh look. Yet another state in which states and nats results do not correlate. Sure, Ladue did well at states and they usually get somewhere around here. I can't speak for their consistency though. Haven't seen MO full results. This seems accurate enough, though?
20. Yes! Bedford! They did really well at Cornell and are absolutely improving from last year. Their states results were great and I definitely think they'll be able to get 20th. I will also vouch for them medaling in a few select events that I know they're strong in.
Overall- your predictions are mostly not what I would have put. Some are accurate, some aren't. You did win the prediction contest last year, but are you going to win again this year? We'll see...
s a l t
Ngl i can definetly see gelinas getting 6th, they've been hovering around 10th for the past 5 years, a 6th wouldn't be too out of the ordinary. Their Cornell results show the amount of potential they have.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP

Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

MIT: Gravity - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, WIDI -1st '20

Rate my tests!

PotatoBoi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Post by PotatoBoi » May 6th, 2019, 10:57 am

I have a feeling Community will not get top 3.

builderguy135
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 » May 6th, 2019, 11:29 am

PotatoBoi wrote:I have a feeling Community will not get top 3.
I have a feeling wwpn won't make nats next year

/s

lmao vivek -_-
Community '18, HSN '22
7-time Nats medalist
2020 Sounds MIT, Princeton, States Champion
2020 (and probably 2021 :( ) Events: PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code
My Userpage

swagmcswag1223
Division: B
State: NY

Post by swagmcswag1223 » May 6th, 2019, 11:43 am

kate! wrote:
Pettywap wrote:Feel free to rip apart these predictions:

1. Community
2. Kennedy
3. Solon
4. Beckendorff
5. Daniel Wright
6. Gelinas
7. Kraemer
8. Marie Murphy
9. Piedmont
10. Highlands
11. Springhouse
12. Longfellow
13. Tower Heights
14. Eagle Hill
15. Lakeshore
16. Hamilton
17. Slauson
18. Harlan Rowe
19. Ladue
20. Bedford
1. As much as I'd like them to, I'm not really sure if Community will win or not. I guess you can put them in 1st but personally I'm on the fence.
2. Kennedy is a strong team, we all know. However, there's simply no way to compare them to East Coast teams. They could be better, they could be worse. But I honestly think they're not going to beat Solon.
3. Solon should be top 2. Did you see their states score? Sure, they weren't as good in the beginning of the season, but they've improved, and their consistency is what's going to help them the most.
4. No. I mean, they're a very strong team, and their states score knocked everyone else out of the park, but I'm afraid something is going to happen like last year. I don't see them as 4th. I just think they're not as consistent as other top teams and they shouldn't be right behind the top 3. That being said, I don't know who should be in their place. Maybe you're right.
5. Fair enough. I don't know enough about Daniel Wright to accurately predict how they'll do, but 5th seems good. Weaker than past years, stronger than most teams.
6. I said this in another thread, and I'll say it again. Gelinas is being seriously overrated. Yes, they're going to be top 10, but I don't see that dramatic of an increase in their placement. Yes, their performance at Cornell was impressive and quite shocking. But was it an extremely close competition as well? Absolutely. Yes, their states score was admirable and could have been record-breaking were it not for an error in Roller Coaster, but it certainly wasn't that much lower than past years' scores. In general, states scores do not correlate to nats placements for Gelinas and I don't think it's evidence enough (combined with Cornell results and other invitationals) to put them this high up. I personally would put them 8th at the most.
7. This I absolutely agree with. Kraemer is a powerhouse team that works extremely hard and is super motivated and consistent, and I believe that is going to get them 7th or maybe even higher this year.
8. While I would disagree with this, my recent mentality for predictions has become "Well, who's going to beat them?". This is exactly the case for Marie Murphy. 8th seems too high for them, but the reality is that no other teams are really that much better than them.
9. Honestly, see above. Piedmont seems to be weaker this year, but not that much weaker.
10. Sorry Highlands, but I don't think you're going to get top 10. A lot has changed between this year and last year, and while they're certainly a powerful team, state results really aren't indicative of what'll happen at nats because Hawaii is... not one of the most competitive states. It's hard to compare Highlands to other teams because of A) how much every team has changed since invitationals and B) lack of East Coast invitationals. We'll see what happens, though. This isn't too far of a reach.
11. We all know Springhouse is weaker this year. But come on. They're not going to drop out of the top 10. Low 10s? Sure. But not below 10th. They're still a very competitive team, and while they have lost some of their strength, it's not that much of a dramatic decrease.
12. We haven't heard much about Longfellow this year. I'll base this on their state score- they only won by 22 points. They also seem relatively inconsistent for a relatively uncompetitive state. Though they have a history of doing well at nationals, I don't think they're going to get 12th, but they will stay in this range.
13. Sure, I agree with this. Tower Heights is a respectable team, and they're absolutely good enough to get 13th and maybe even higher. We'll see.
14. Nope. Sorry, Eagle Hill. Listen, I know it seemed like Eagle Hill dominated at states (behind Gelinas, of course) and showed off their admirable consistency, but the truth is, the top 5 teams were generally weaker this year. (I'm not speaking for Bay Academy, they have definitely come a long way and did really, really well this year, but the fact that they lost by ~50 points shows how relatively uncompetitive this year was compared to last year. It was still competitive, definitely, but not at the level it was for last year especially within the top 5. Goff and Murphy were absolutely weaker.) I still think Eagle Hill will place within this range, but at least 3 or 4 places lower.
15. Everyone is really underrating Lakeshore. I've said it before and I'll say it again. They deserve several places higher than 15th. Their history shows how strong of a team they can be, and the fact that they won states shows that they mean business. People think that just because they're not Meads Mill, they're not good. Absolutely not. I believe in Lakeshore and I know they deserve better than how people are predicting them.
16. I'm going to be honest here. I know literally nothing about Hamilton. I'm looking at the wiki now and their states score this year is very similar to their states score last year. 16th or 17th seems reasonable.
17. Nope. No way. Slauson is going to do better than this. Granted, they did get a way lower states score than last year, but similar to Lakeshore and other teams, states score does not correlate to nationals score. I think Slauson will get 15th or 16th because they seem to improve between states and nats at least based on last year.
18. Not sure. I'm really on the fence about this. I have a wider range of places in my head for Harlan Rowe because I'm unsure about how they're going to deal with nationals due to lack of experience. Yes, they're consistent. Yes, they got 9th at Cornell. Yes, their builds are good. But is that enough for a new team to nats? I honestly do not know. I would place them slightly lower.
19. Oh look. Yet another state in which states and nats results do not correlate. Sure, Ladue did well at states and they usually get somewhere around here. I can't speak for their consistency though. Haven't seen MO full results. This seems accurate enough, though?
20. Yes! Bedford! They did really well at Cornell and are absolutely improving from last year. Their states results were great and I definitely think they'll be able to get 20th. I will also vouch for them medaling in a few select events that I know they're strong in.
Overall- your predictions are mostly not what I would have put. Some are accurate, some aren't. You did win the prediction contest last year, but are you going to win again this year? We'll see...

maybe you should try and have an unbiased point of view of gelinas and not be so crusty
Co-captain of Dank Memes Area Homeschoolers
Former captain of Gelinas Jr High School
LISO/Rustin/Cornell/Regs/States/Nats
Solar: 1/5/3/x/4/TBD
Meteo: 1/3/2/1/1/TBD
Anatomy: 1/2/6/1/4/TBD
ELG: :cry: 14/4/12/2/x/TBD
Circuit: 4/x/7/1/x/TBD

kate!
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by kate! » May 6th, 2019, 11:58 am

swagmcswag1223 wrote:
kate! wrote:
Pettywap wrote:

maybe you should try and have an unbiased point of view of gelinas and not be so crusty
I'm not going to get into this, but as I recall, you literally told me last night over Hangouts that I was "not wrong" by claiming that Gelinas is being slightly overrated. Maybe I am a little (or more than a little) biased, but I think my reasoning is solid. You guys still certainly have potential, though. We'll see what happens.
Two years ago I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Last year I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and more experiments, yay again!
Now I know stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils, yay for the third time!

IvanGe

Post by IvanGe » May 6th, 2019, 12:26 pm

kate! wrote:
swagmcswag1223 wrote:
kate! wrote:

I'm not going to get into this, but as I recall, you literally told me last night over Hangouts that I was "not wrong" by claiming that Gelinas is being slightly overrated. Maybe I am a little (or more than a little) biased, but I think my reasoning is solid. You guys still certainly have potential, though. We'll see what happens.
slightly overrated =/= seriously overrated

although we're still not even gud soooooooooooooooooo we'll see what happens
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy

kate!
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by kate! » May 6th, 2019, 12:48 pm

IvanGe wrote:
kate! wrote:
swagmcswag1223 wrote:

I meant seriously overrated as in a lot of people are saying they will get upwards of 6th. The "slightly" part means that their rank specifically is being slightly overrated because they're at least 2 places higher than they should be. Sorry for the confusion.
Two years ago I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Last year I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and more experiments, yay again!
Now I know stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils, yay for the third time!

wzhang5460

Post by wzhang5460 » May 6th, 2019, 1:06 pm

kate! wrote:
IvanGe wrote:
kate! wrote: I'm not going to get into this, but as I recall, you literally told me last night over Hangouts that I was "not wrong" by claiming that Gelinas is being slightly overrated. Maybe I am a little (or more than a little) biased, but I think my reasoning is solid. You guys still certainly have potential, though. We'll see what happens.

I meant seriously overrated as in a lot of people are saying they will get upwards of 6th. The "slightly" part means that their rank specifically is being slightly overrated because they're at least 2 places higher than they should be. Sorry for the confusion.
That confusion was quite crusty indeed.
Circuit Lab NY State Champion with legendary circuitologist Eric Wang
LONGEST DEFENDING ROCKS AND MINERALS REGIONAL CHAMPION OF EASTERN LONG ISLAND IN HISTORY ~3 YEARS AND COUNTING

kaurs
State: MI

Post by kaurs » May 6th, 2019, 1:31 pm

My schools never EVER gone to nationals before. The teams make it seem so easy. Anyone have any study tips or websites they use to help them out?
(My friends tell me its wayyyy toooo early to start on SciOly for next year)
But it's not! ;) 8-) :) :D

kaurs
State: MI

Post by kaurs » May 6th, 2019, 1:33 pm

What rank do you think that Lakeshore Middle School-grandhaven will get?

Return to “2019 Nationals”