Mason
Troy
Acton-Boxborough
Mira Loma
Harriton
Columbia
Seven Lakes
Stevenson
I've heard he's got some big ones, Its not that much of a bold prediction in my mind, highly plausible.
Solon '20
Name
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Unofficial Rankings C

Post by Name »

kate! wrote:
windu34 wrote:
kate! wrote: Why is Ward Melville so high, where's Rustin, and why is Columbia so low?
1.) Because they are looking pretty decent this year
2.) Not in the top 15
3.) Cause they don't seem to be doing so hot
About Columbia, I know you're probably basing this on invitational results, but their most recent competition was states. They were extremely consistent, only not medaling in one event. That's basically impossible at NY C states (they got a sub 100 score). If they are able to keep the same relative level of consistency at nationals, I think they'll almost definitely be able to achieve top 10.
Even with invite results, Columbia won Cornell.
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

kate! wrote:
windu34 wrote:
kate! wrote: Why is Ward Melville so high, where's Rustin, and why is Columbia so low?
1.) Because they are looking pretty decent this year
2.) Not in the top 15
About Columbia, I know you're probably basing this on invitational results, but their most recent competition was states. They were extremely consistent, only not medaling in one event. That's basically impossible at NY C states (they got a sub 100 score). If they are able to keep the same relative level of consistency at nationals, I think they'll almost definitely be able to achieve top 10.
I would agree that this seems to be a strong year for Columbia compared to most, but 12th for Columbia isn't really "so low". It's on the low end, sure, but there a lot of competitive teams at that range. 12th is pretty reasonable of a prediction.

I do think Columbia has looked significantly stronger than Ward this year, so not sure how the reasoning for both 1) and 3) can coexist, but I'll let it be. :P
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
kate! wrote:
windu34 wrote: 1.) Because they are looking pretty decent this year
2.) Not in the top 15
I would agree that this seems to be a strong year for Columbia compared to most, but 12th for Columbia isn't really "so low". It's on the low end, sure, but there a lot of competitive teams at that range. 12th is pretty reasonable of a prediction.

I do think Columbia has looked significantly stronger than Ward this year, so not sure how the reasoning for both 1) and 3) can coexist, but I'll let it be. :P
I agree that Ward is weaker than Columbia, hence they are lower on my ranks. In retrospect, they could def fall lower than 15th (perhaps into the 20-25 range) since they seem to underperform at nationals relatively consistently if my memory serves me.
I do not think Columbia will be higher than 9th or 10th at best, so 12th is reasonable to me.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Bread
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Bread »

windu34 wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
kate! wrote:About Columbia, I know you're probably basing this on invitational results, but their most recent competition was states. They were extremely consistent, only not medaling in one event. That's basically impossible at NY C states (they got a sub 100 score). If they are able to keep the same relative level of consistency at nationals, I think they'll almost definitely be able to achieve top 10.

I agree that Ward is weaker than Columbia, hence they are lower on my ranks. In retrospect, they could def fall lower than 15th (perhaps into the 20-25 range) since they seem to underperform at nationals relatively consistently if my memory serves me.
I do not think Columbia will be higher than 9th or 10th at best, so 12th is reasonable to me.
To be fair to Columbia, last year they got 12th and they only missed out on the top ten by 10 points and that was with a state score of 172. This year they had 96 and not to mention they did win Cornell. 12th is possible, but it seems like the very low end of the spectrum.
VHS '22
VU/Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:10/2/3/21
Dynamic:3/2/11/46

Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:1/1/15
Thermo:1/6/29
Roller:3/10/20

VU/Reg/State/Nats
Fossils <3 :1/1/1/2 :D 
Dynamic:4/1/2/26
Thermo:2/1/1/5 :D 
Roller:9/-/1/51 (tier)
Rip maybe next year
kate!

Post by kate! »

Hey everyone! I really wanted to make some predictions, but it's hard to restrict a school to just one placing (plus there are definitely some teams I'm unfamiliar with). So I took a new approach to this whole prediction thing and I decided to list the schools I think are able to get within the top 20. But instead of definitively ranking them, I'm going to provide a range for the placings I think each team has the potential to get. Here are my division C predictions! Feel free to criticize these. (Note: There are many div C teams that I am unfamiliar with, so my predictions probably won't be as informed as others' are.)

Mounds View High School
• 5th-9th
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
• 7th-13th
Columbia High School
• 3rd-9th
Ward Melville High School
• 15th-18th
Brookwood High School
• 14th-19th
Chattahoochee High School
• 18th-23rd
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
• 5th-8th
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology
• 17th-24th
Boca Raton Community High School
• 11th-15th
Mira Loma High School
• 11th-15th
Troy High School
• 1st-3rd
Adlai E. Stevenson High School
• 6th-11th
New Trier High School
• 8th-12th
Bothell High School
• 18th-22nd
William G. Enloe High School
• 19th-27th
Northville High School
• 12th-17th
Ann Arbor Pioneer High School
• 20th-25th
Solon High School
• 2nd-4th
Mason High School
• 3rd-5th
Harriton High School
• 6th-11th
Bayard Rustin High School
• 13th-18th
Seven Lakes High School
• 7th-9th

Also, I would like to apologize for attacking or heavily criticizing anyone's predictions. I don't mean to hurt anyone or come off as aggressive, I'm simply curious about the reasoning behind a lot of predictions, and if I really disagree with someone, I just want to show them why their prediction may not be accurate. I know the point of predictions is to predict results, but these threads are also for discussion of predictions, which I do want to engage in and am allowed to. I'm sorry for coming off as rude to anyone.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
TheSquaad
Has thanked: 0

Post by TheSquaad »

kate! wrote:Hey everyone! I really wanted to make some predictions, but it's hard to restrict a school to just one placing (plus there are definitely some teams I'm unfamiliar with). So I took a new approach to this whole prediction thing and I decided to list the schools I think are able to get within the top 20. But instead of definitively ranking them, I'm going to provide a range for the placings I think each team has the potential to get. Here are my division C predictions! Feel free to criticize these. (Note: There are many div C teams that I am unfamiliar with, so my predictions probably won't be as informed as others' are.)

Mounds View High School
• 5th-9th
• 7th-13th
Columbia High School
• 3rd-9th
• 15th-18th
Brookwood High School
• 14th-19th
• 18th-23rd
• 5th-8th
• 17th-24th
• 11th-15th
Mira Loma High School
• 11th-15th
Troy High School
• 1st-3rd
• 6th-11th
New Trier High School
• 8th-12th
Bothell High School
• 18th-22nd
• 19th-27th
Northville High School
• 12th-17th
• 20th-25th
Solon High School
• 2nd-4th
Mason High School
• 3rd-5th
Harriton High School
• 6th-11th
• 13th-18th
Seven Lakes High School
• 7th-9th

Also, I would like to apologize for attacking or heavily criticizing anyone's predictions. I don't mean to hurt anyone or come off as aggressive, I'm simply curious about the reasoning behind a lot of predictions, and if I really disagree with someone, I just want to show them why their prediction may not be accurate. I know the point of predictions is to predict results, but these threads are also for discussion of predictions, which I do want to engage in and am allowed to. I'm sorry for coming off as rude to anyone.
Why do you rank Troy as 1st-3rd when no other team has 1st in its range?
kate!

Post by kate! »

TheSquaad wrote:
kate! wrote:Hey everyone! I really wanted to make some predictions, but it's hard to restrict a school to just one placing (plus there are definitely some teams I'm unfamiliar with). So I took a new approach to this whole prediction thing and I decided to list the schools I think are able to get within the top 20. But instead of definitively ranking them, I'm going to provide a range for the placings I think each team has the potential to get. Here are my division C predictions! Feel free to criticize these. (Note: There are many div C teams that I am unfamiliar with, so my predictions probably won't be as informed as others' are.)

Mounds View High School
• 5th-9th
• 7th-13th
Columbia High School
• 3rd-9th
• 15th-18th
Brookwood High School
• 14th-19th
• 18th-23rd
• 5th-8th
• 17th-24th
• 11th-15th
Mira Loma High School
• 11th-15th
Troy High School
• 1st-3rd
• 6th-11th
New Trier High School
• 8th-12th
Bothell High School
• 18th-22nd
• 19th-27th
Northville High School
• 12th-17th
• 20th-25th
Solon High School
• 2nd-4th
Mason High School
• 3rd-5th
Harriton High School
• 6th-11th
• 13th-18th
Seven Lakes High School
• 7th-9th

Why do you rank Troy as 1st-3rd when no other team has 1st in its range?
Because it's almost definite that they're going to win, but they don't have a 100% chance. Their worst case scenario is probably 3rd, and obviously their best case scenario is 1st, so that's what I went with.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

kate! wrote:
TheSquaad wrote: Why do you rank Troy as 1st-3rd when no other team has 1st in its range?
Because it's almost definite that they're going to win, but they don't have a 100% chance. Their worst case scenario is probably 3rd, and obviously their best case scenario is 1st, so that's what I went with.
I think the question is, if Troy gets 3rd, someone else would have to get 1st, but nobody else has 1st in their range to beat them. Maybe Solon's high end of their range would go to 1st, and Mason's would be 2nd (to fill 2nd place if Troy is 3rd).
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

Mounds View High School
• 5th-9th
• 7th-13th
Columbia High School
• 3rd-9th
• 15th-18th
Brookwood High School
• 14th-19th
• 18th-23rd
• 5th-8th
• 17th-24th
• 11th-15th
Mira Loma High School
• 11th-15th
Troy High School
• 1st-3rd
• 6th-11th
New Trier High School
• 8th-12th
Bothell High School
• 18th-22nd
• 19th-27th
Northville High School
• 12th-17th
• 20th-25th
Solon High School
• 2nd-4th
Mason High School
• 3rd-5th
Harriton High School
• 6th-11th
• 13th-18th
Seven Lakes High School
• 7th-9th

I'm still not convinced that Columbia can come as high as 3rd... both of Acton-Boxborough's teams beat Columbia at MIT, but you only put them at 5th-8th... Boca beat them too, and they are only 11th-15th...

Everything else I agree with I guess.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th

Return to “2019 Nationals”