Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: "Oldies But Goodies" Events

Post by CookiePie1 »

Dang. two teams from NJ :D :D :D
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

CookiePie1 wrote:Dang. two teams from NJ :D :D :D
Welp, did "what are you trying to tell me" but I was stuck behind the stage for the parade of states... Thought my partner was trolling me lol

Edit: they gave out the prize at the coaches meeting ... There's only 1 t-shirt - not even two :\
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Galahad
Division: Grad
State: HI

Post by Galahad »

Anyone have the full rankings?
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
SOcoachB

Post by SOcoachB »

Galahad wrote:Anyone have the full rankings?
I've heard from one of the tournament directors that these results are not available (other than the first place winners which appeared on screen at the opening ceremony). I don't get it.

I've got students who studied for these events and they get absolutely zero feedback. Very disappointing.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

SOcoachB wrote:
I've heard from one of the tournament directors that these results are not available (other than the first place winners which appeared on screen at the opening ceremony). I don't get it.

I've got students who studied for these events and they get absolutely zero feedback. Very disappointing.
That's very silly. Sometimes I really question the thought processes behind some NSO decisions.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by lumosityfan »

Tbf I think these events were meant to be fun and not taken seriously - at the same time, though, it is nationals. Even if you are supposed to have fun with these events, you would think NSO would at least provide full rankings to keep up the aura of seriousness (plus this is nationals - you should at least provide rankings to teams).
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
SOcoachB

Post by SOcoachB »

lumosityfan wrote:Tbf I think these events were meant to be fun and not taken seriously - at the same time, though, it is nationals. Even if you are supposed to have fun with these events, you would think NSO would at least provide full rankings to keep up the aura of seriousness (plus this is nationals - you should at least provide rankings to teams).
I agree that the events are not meant to be taken super seriously. I'm not even all that concerned about an aura of seriousness. It's just a fun competition.

At the same time, they were run like other events, and this was the only form of participation for some students who were alternates. They studied for them and deserve to find out how well they did.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

SOcoachB wrote:

Agreed. I'd provide them if we had them, but we don't. The whole thing was run by a different group than runs the main scoring, and they didn't provide us with the detailed results. I think someone is trying to dig up some notes, but no guarantee they'll find much.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

chalker wrote:
SOcoachB wrote:

Agreed. I'd provide them if we had them, but we don't. The whole thing was run by a different group than runs the main scoring, and they didn't provide us with the detailed results. I think someone is trying to dig up some notes, but no guarantee they'll find much.
Oh, also: what was the thought process on giving ONE shirt to the pair of competitors that won...? (https://photos.app.goo.gl/EqnySyZSs5X8o3cq9)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
pepperonipi
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
chalker wrote:
SOcoachB wrote:

Oh, also: what was the thought process on giving ONE shirt to the pair of competitors that won...? (https://photos.app.goo.gl/EqnySyZSs5X8o3cq9)
Just cut it down the middle, and each person gets half. Modern problems require modern solutions.
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI

Return to “2019 Nationals”