bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Nationals Event Discussion

Post by bernard »

Just like previous years. List your events, what went well, and what could have been better.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Sapphire
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Nationals Event Discussion

Post by Sapphire »

Ummmm I don’t even know what I got yet but... WOW BATTERY BUGGY WAS AMAZING! I mean, I know they got -40 at states, but actually winning something at Nats? They are amazing. The gilder was built yesterday and the better roller coaster didn’t work.
Well, happy end of the season! Now we can all be people with empty schedules.

So... Crime Busters, really nicely run other than a missing powder. 9/10 because of humidity mostly. Foggy goggles suck.

Dynamic Planet. Dude, that test was HARD. The event supervisor said that 60% was a good score. Nice test though and people though 10/10.

Game On. Okay, game on is game on. It’s WAY to easy which means that everyone is successful and... yeah. Should be in a different language. They were supposed to provide parameters though (such as two player or collection and avoidance) but they didn’t. Water is also a more unique scientific theme, but okay. 7/10.
Last edited by Sapphire on June 1st, 2019, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

All events were run really well but can't say I'm satisfied with my results. Battery Buggy shoulda been top 10, top 15 at the very least - instead of medaling I got 30th place. Got screwed by understeer and hit the outer can both times. Was expecting boomilever to be at least top 20, likely top 15 and possibly top 10. Instead I placed 24th.

As for Fossils, I got carried by RockRoll92 (no surprise) and in thermo we did well on the test but predicted with the pour temp instead of the actual thermometer temp or some reason. Thermo test was rather easy.

Very disappointed in myself, but overall all the events were run super well: Buggy 10/10, Boomi 10/10, Fossils 10/10, and Thermo 9/10 (too hot in the room rip)
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Buggy (4th) - Run great as usual - event supervisors were cheerful and funny, impound was fast, and they prompted the competitors about the vehicle very throughly. (10/10)

Boomi (13th) - pretty smoothly run, really nothing to complain about. The debrief was great as well. (9/10)

Mystery (3rd) - prompt was a bit too easy, and was really limited in a sense. Results would have been really close, and beating the curve was obviously necessary. (7/10)

Roller (1st) - everything was run really smoothly and on time. The target time of 47 seconds was a great time to differenciating good timers and bad timers, and the device measuring device (made by jander14indoor I think) worked well and efficiently. (10/10)

What are you trying to tell me (1st) - run fine, test was difficult but its not like it matters because it's an oldie event. Supervisors were nice, (8/10)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Sapphire wrote:Ummmm I don’t even know what I got yet but... WOW BATTERY BUGGY WAS AMAZING! I mean, I know they got -40 at states, but actually winning something at Nats? They are amazing. The gilder was built yesterday and the better roller coaster didn’t work.
Well, happy end of the season! Now we can all be people with empty schedules.

So... Crime Busters, really nicely run other than a missing powder. 9/10 because of humidity mostly. Foggy goggles suck.

Dynamic Planet. Dude, that test was HARD. The event supervisor said that 60% was a good score. Nice test though and people though 10/10.

Game On. Okay, game on is game on. It’s WAY to easy which means that everyone is successful and... yeah. Should be in a different language. They were supposed to provide parameters though (such as two player or collection and avoidance) but they didn’t. Water is also a more unique scientific theme, but okay. 7/10.
Game type was only for last year.

Below is all for Div B
Fossils:test was too easy. We ended up having at least 30 seconds extra per station. At least the specimens were good. 5/10
Game On:topic was too broad(water) but otherwise it was good.8/10
Water Quality:the test was REUSED from nats 2012 (Div c;I don't have access to the div b test).for 2 of the specimens we needed to use a microscope,but it wasn't pre-setup so we spent most of the time at that station trying to move the specimen into the right spot.1/10
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
AZ_120
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AZ_120 »

For all you codebusters, how did you do? (time and how many questions answered)

We got 3rd with a time of 5:57 (yikes). However, I'm pretty sure we got everything else (unless there was a dumb mistake) right except one patristocrat that was 600 points. I was surprised we placed because of the time and missing 600 points. Just curious how everyone else did. Congrats to everyone that placed.
Alduto
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Alduto »

AZ_120 wrote:For all you codebusters, how did you do? (time and how many questions answered)

We got 3rd with a time of 5:57 (yikes). However, I'm pretty sure we got everything else (unless there was a dumb mistake) right except one patristocrat that was 600 points. I was surprised we placed because of the time and missing 600 points. Just curious how everyone else did. Congrats to everyone that placed.
We got 1st with 2:48, which was the fastest in our block (1-10) but not quite fastest overall. We got everything on the test except 3x3 hill encryption and an RSA, which totaled to 475 missed points I think (provided we got the other RSA, which is always uncertain). Congrats on a great tournament everyone!
NCSSM 2020
2019: Code, Dynamic, Protein
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

Alduto wrote:
AZ_120 wrote:For all you codebusters, how did you do? (time and how many questions answered)

We got 1st with 2:48, which was the fastest in our block (1-10) but not quite fastest overall. We got everything on the test except 3x3 hill encryption and an RSA, which totaled to 475 missed points I think (provided we got the other RSA, which is always uncertain). Congrats on a great tournament everyone!
We were 5th with 4:12 on the timed question, and we missed the 220-point Bacon, the 3x3 Hill, and both Patristocrats (600 and 650 points). I was honestly very surprised we placed... we choked hard :cry:
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
ericlepanda
State: IL

Post by ericlepanda »

protein modeling - 3rd
I felt extremely good about the on-site model, and my partners killed the test. The only thing that we missed was the last question involving distances in jmol. We got part a but had to guess for part b because I desperately needed to find the on-site sidechains. Our prebuild was also pretty solid too, imo

chem lab - 15th
I thought the test was relatively easy, my partner and I finished everything. We probably got points docked in the labs for wack procedures. My partner and I were put on chem after two of our senior members left in the middle of the year, so we were definitely extremely happy with this result.

sounds of music - 13th
I wasn't able to compete in this event as our self schedule times got messed up. However, I was still responsible for the entire build portion right up until the competition. I made a copper pipe glockenspiel, but unfortunately points got docked for a mislabeling in the logs (dumb mistake) and the build itself was a couple cents off from perfect in a few notes.
ntso
quack quack
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

Parasitology: 11th
Test was not run in stations but the ID was ok I guess some IDs were sketchier than others. Questions were on the easy side for a nats test, honestly easier than the test at Cornell Invy. Also, parts of the test was directly copied from FM invitational 2019... Expected better than this at nats. (4/10)

Roller: 1st
Run pretty well I guess, no complaints. The measuring box was really nice tho ngl. (10/10)

ELG: 2nd
This wasn't run as well as I hoped. The person measuring my wingspan had shaky arms and kept banging into the sides of the wings which was kinda annoying. Volunteers seemed inexperienced and some of the times they measured differed from their other official timers by up to 2 seconds, which is really significant especially when times only get up to 40 seconds. (5/10)

Mystery: 3rd
First tunnel test I've done this season lol. Test was ok but it was annoying now they limited the initial height at 2-4cm, which basically meant there was a maximum length at about 100-110cm. The cars they used to pass the tunnels were all different as well so some cars that teams tested with had more friction than others. Also, the ES tested some devices more than once (and a different amount of times for every team) for some reason... the team behind me finally got it working after 5+ official runs. Heard rumors that the same thing was happening to other time blocks as well. (3/10)

Road: 4th
Test was shorter than I thought, we finished with about 15 minutes left. Questions were similar to last year and pretty simple. ESs was pretty nice, they even gave us free maps to practice with. (9/10)

Battery: 4th
Run well, proctor was really nice. No complaints. (10/10)

------------------------
Dorms:
It was kinda bad tbh. No lights, not many bathrooms, small and cramped. Didn't really like it. We lived in Dickson Hall btw. (2/10)

Food:
Breakfast food was limited and wasn't really good. (4/10)
Dinner food was honestly really good, much much better than the past 2 years. (8.5/10)

Overall:
This nats was pretty weird for me. It honestly just didn't seem like a nats tourney but rather an invy for some reason. Awards and Opening was nice but not as good as last year imo. Keynote speaker was pretty good but the other speakers honestly got kinda boring and we got back to dorms really late. The ice cream was really good though lol. (6.5/10)

where was bill nye though >:(
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage

Return to “2019 Nationals”