No show at nationals?

PirateShip
Member
Member
Posts: 63
Joined: February 24th, 2019, 8:05 am
Division: C
State: IN
Location: John Adams
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

No show at nationals?

Post by PirateShip » June 5th, 2019, 8:30 am

Are you for real?

1 team in both divisions didn't show??!?!?

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3116
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: No show at nationals?

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » June 5th, 2019, 9:44 am

PirateShip wrote:Are you for real?

1 team in both divisions didn't show??!?!?
I heard that South Burlington ran into transportation problems that weekend, which would not have been enough advance notice for another team to attend. Not sure what the story was for Germantown.

Moved to the Nationals forum, also.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 798
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: No show at nationals?

Post by dxu46 » June 5th, 2019, 10:05 am

So is this the reason they messed up the opening ceremony parade of states when it came to Mississippi?
(coincidentally right before Ladue, messing it up for them too :evil: )
Isn't there some sort of roll call system when teams are lining up backstage to make sure this doesn't happen?

Bread
Member
Member
Posts: 78
Joined: September 18th, 2018, 3:13 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Location: VHS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: No show at nationals?

Post by Bread » June 5th, 2019, 10:16 am

dxu46 wrote:So is this the reason they messed up the opening ceremony parade of states when it came to Mississippi?
(coincidentally right before Ladue, messing it up for them too :evil: )
Isn't there some sort of roll call system when teams are lining up backstage to make sure this doesn't happen?
They checked with us multiple times before going out there. My guess is they just forgot to tell who was announcing it? I'm not really sure either because I'm pretty sure they also skipped over Vermont once they realized they weren't there.
VHS '22
2017
VU/Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:10/2/3/21
Dynamic:3/2/11/46

2018
Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:1/1/15
Thermo:1/6/29
Roller:3/10/20

2019
VU/Reg/State/Nats
Fossils <3 :1/1/1/2 :D 
Dynamic:4/1/2/26
Thermo:2/1/1/5 :D 
Roller:9/-/1/51 (tier)
Rip maybe next year

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2104
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: No show at nationals?

Post by chalker » June 5th, 2019, 4:44 pm

We still don't know what happened to the MS team... we spent several hours Saturday morning trying to contact someone associated with the team to ensure they weren't in some emergency situation. The VT team had transportation issues a few days prior, so we knew about them on Friday.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

PirateShip
Member
Member
Posts: 63
Joined: February 24th, 2019, 8:05 am
Division: C
State: IN
Location: John Adams
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: No show at nationals?

Post by PirateShip » June 10th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Did anyone hear from the MS team? I'd be really frustrated if they took someone's spot

User avatar
builderguy135
Member
Member
Posts: 659
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: No show at nationals?

Post by builderguy135 » June 10th, 2019, 6:26 pm

PirateShip wrote:Did anyone hear from the MS team? I'd be really frustrated if they took someone's spot
Didn't hear any rumors.

Not gonna lie though unless something happened that's kind of frustrating to say the least that they accepted the nats bid but isn't going... another team could've gone!
HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019
2020 Sounds MIT and Princeton Champion
2020 (and probably 2021 :( ) Events: PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/PaRaSiToLoGy

sturmde
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: March 17th, 2011, 6:43 pm
Division: Grad
State: ME
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: No show at nationals?

Post by sturmde » June 30th, 2019, 8:00 pm

I've thought for many years... that having a "standby" team from the host state could be possible.
.
For example, since the Cornell tournament was in New York, the third place team from New York could have been there as a 'demonstration' team similar to the Japanese team. In the event a team had a last minute cancellation, a team that wouldn't have incurred a major distance travel would be able to fill in.
.
It would seem to be a nice inducement to a state to be very involved in hosting, if their second (or third for larger states) were in such a position. For 2020, this would suggest that North Carolina have its third team on standby...

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 798
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: No show at nationals?

Post by dxu46 » July 1st, 2019, 7:28 am

sturmde wrote:I've thought for many years... that having a "standby" team from the host state could be possible.
.
For example, since the Cornell tournament was in New York, the third place team from New York could have been there as a 'demonstration' team similar to the Japanese team. In the event a team had a last minute cancellation, a team that wouldn't have incurred a major distance travel would be able to fill in.
.
It would seem to be a nice inducement to a state to be very involved in hosting, if their second (or third for larger states) were in such a position. For 2020, this would suggest that North Carolina have its third team on standby...
Not very many teams are going to no show at nationals, so this idea, although it sounds good in very specific situations like the past season, is a bit of a stretch, in my opinion. The 3rd team would have to prepare all of their events to national level, and if they don't get to compete, that's a lot of time and effort wasted, especially for non-returning build events. Also, the team would have to travel to the national location, albeit not very far away since it's their home state, and if no teams no show, it'd all be a waste of time and effort. The main idea here is that it takes a lot of work to go to nationals for any team, and there's a large chance for a "standby" team's work to go down the drain.

This would be a pretty reasonable idea, though, if only it were for teams that actually declined their bid and "no showed" that way, but in that case the bid would go to the 2nd (or 3rd place team for 2-bid states) and not this "standby" team.

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3116
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: No show at nationals?

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » July 1st, 2019, 8:13 am

dxu46 wrote:
sturmde wrote:I've thought for many years... that having a "standby" team from the host state could be possible.
.
For example, since the Cornell tournament was in New York, the third place team from New York could have been there as a 'demonstration' team similar to the Japanese team. In the event a team had a last minute cancellation, a team that wouldn't have incurred a major distance travel would be able to fill in.
.
It would seem to be a nice inducement to a state to be very involved in hosting, if their second (or third for larger states) were in such a position. For 2020, this would suggest that North Carolina have its third team on standby...
Not very many teams are going to no show at nationals, so this idea, although it sounds good in very specific situations like the past season, is a bit of a stretch, in my opinion. The 3rd team would have to prepare all of their events to national level, and if they don't get to compete, that's a lot of time and effort wasted, especially for non-returning build events. Also, the team would have to travel to the national location, albeit not very far away since it's their home state, and if no teams no show, it'd all be a waste of time and effort. The main idea here is that it takes a lot of work to go to nationals for any team, and there's a large chance for a "standby" team's work to go down the drain.

This would be a pretty reasonable idea, though, if only it were for teams that actually declined their bid and "no showed" that way, but in that case the bid would go to the 2nd (or 3rd place team for 2-bid states) and not this "standby" team.
For teams that decline their bid and alert NSO and/or their state, the current policy is that the bid goes to the next highest-placed team in that state. That appears to be about what you have suggested, though I don't want to assume necessarily.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Post Reply

Return to “2019 Nationals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest