PirateShip
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

No show at nationals?

Post by PirateShip »

Are you for real?

1 team in both divisions didn't show??!?!?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: No show at nationals?

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

PirateShip wrote:Are you for real?

1 team in both divisions didn't show??!?!?
I heard that South Burlington ran into transportation problems that weekend, which would not have been enough advance notice for another team to attend. Not sure what the story was for Germantown.

Moved to the Nationals forum, also.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

So is this the reason they messed up the opening ceremony parade of states when it came to Mississippi?
(coincidentally right before Ladue, messing it up for them too :evil: )
Isn't there some sort of roll call system when teams are lining up backstage to make sure this doesn't happen?
Bread

Post by Bread »

dxu46 wrote:So is this the reason they messed up the opening ceremony parade of states when it came to Mississippi?
(coincidentally right before Ladue, messing it up for them too :evil: )
Isn't there some sort of roll call system when teams are lining up backstage to make sure this doesn't happen?
They checked with us multiple times before going out there. My guess is they just forgot to tell who was announcing it? I'm not really sure either because I'm pretty sure they also skipped over Vermont once they realized they weren't there.
VHS '22
VU/Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:10/2/3/21
Dynamic:3/2/11/46

Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:1/1/15
Thermo:1/6/29
Roller:3/10/20

VU/Reg/State/Nats
Fossils <3 :1/1/1/2 :D 
Dynamic:4/1/2/26
Thermo:2/1/1/5 :D 
Roller:9/-/1/51 (tier)
Rip maybe next year
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

We still don't know what happened to the MS team... we spent several hours Saturday morning trying to contact someone associated with the team to ensure they weren't in some emergency situation. The VT team had transportation issues a few days prior, so we knew about them on Friday.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
PirateShip

Post by PirateShip »

Did anyone hear from the MS team? I'd be really frustrated if they took someone's spot
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

PirateShip wrote:Did anyone hear from the MS team? I'd be really frustrated if they took someone's spot
Didn't hear any rumors.

Not gonna lie though unless something happened that's kind of frustrating to say the least that they accepted the nats bid but isn't going... another team could've gone!
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
sturmde
State: ME

Post by sturmde »

I've thought for many years... that having a "standby" team from the host state could be possible.
For example, since the Cornell tournament was in New York, the third place team from New York could have been there as a 'demonstration' team similar to the Japanese team. In the event a team had a last minute cancellation, a team that wouldn't have incurred a major distance travel would be able to fill in.
It would seem to be a nice inducement to a state to be very involved in hosting, if their second (or third for larger states) were in such a position. For 2020, this would suggest that North Carolina have its third team on standby...
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

sturmde wrote:I've thought for many years... that having a "standby" team from the host state could be possible.
For example, since the Cornell tournament was in New York, the third place team from New York could have been there as a 'demonstration' team similar to the Japanese team. In the event a team had a last minute cancellation, a team that wouldn't have incurred a major distance travel would be able to fill in.
It would seem to be a nice inducement to a state to be very involved in hosting, if their second (or third for larger states) were in such a position. For 2020, this would suggest that North Carolina have its third team on standby...
Not very many teams are going to no show at nationals, so this idea, although it sounds good in very specific situations like the past season, is a bit of a stretch, in my opinion. The 3rd team would have to prepare all of their events to national level, and if they don't get to compete, that's a lot of time and effort wasted, especially for non-returning build events. Also, the team would have to travel to the national location, albeit not very far away since it's their home state, and if no teams no show, it'd all be a waste of time and effort. The main idea here is that it takes a lot of work to go to nationals for any team, and there's a large chance for a "standby" team's work to go down the drain.

This would be a pretty reasonable idea, though, if only it were for teams that actually declined their bid and "no showed" that way, but in that case the bid would go to the 2nd (or 3rd place team for 2-bid states) and not this "standby" team.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

dxu46 wrote:
sturmde wrote:I've thought for many years... that having a "standby" team from the host state could be possible.
Not very many teams are going to no show at nationals, so this idea, although it sounds good in very specific situations like the past season, is a bit of a stretch, in my opinion. The 3rd team would have to prepare all of their events to national level, and if they don't get to compete, that's a lot of time and effort wasted, especially for non-returning build events. Also, the team would have to travel to the national location, albeit not very far away since it's their home state, and if no teams no show, it'd all be a waste of time and effort. The main idea here is that it takes a lot of work to go to nationals for any team, and there's a large chance for a "standby" team's work to go down the drain.

This would be a pretty reasonable idea, though, if only it were for teams that actually declined their bid and "no showed" that way, but in that case the bid would go to the 2nd (or 3rd place team for 2-bid states) and not this "standby" team.
For teams that decline their bid and alert NSO and/or their state, the current policy is that the bid goes to the next highest-placed team in that state. That appears to be about what you have suggested, though I don't want to assume necessarily.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “2019 Nationals”