Super stacked team

Post Reply
4Head
Member
Member
Posts: 237
Joined: November 14th, 2016, 11:29 am
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Super stacked team

Post by 4Head » June 15th, 2019, 6:34 pm

What would be the lower bound for the score at nationals by a Science Olympiad team that's able to have team members from any school that qualified?

Assume the stacked team obeys the 7 senior/5 ninth-grader limit, the members are just clones of the students so their respective teams don't get tanked from losing a member, and the team is just ranked without pushing other teams down, just like the way Japan's team is. Also assume that the team also can pull from as many coaches/resources it wants.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion

User avatar
John Richardsim
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 736
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 10:54 am
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: Robinson Twp.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Super stacked team

Post by John Richardsim » June 15th, 2019, 6:51 pm

4Head wrote:What would be the lower bound for the score at nationals by a Science Olympiad team that's able to have team members from any school that qualified?

Assume the stacked team obeys the 7 senior/5 ninth-grader limit, the members are just clones of the students so their respective teams don't get tanked from losing a member, and the team is just ranked without pushing other teams down, just like the way Japan's team is. Also assume that the team also can pull from as many coaches/resources it wants.
Probably like 276 points, somewhere in that area.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

User avatar
builderguy135
Member
Member
Posts: 658
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Super stacked team

Post by builderguy135 » June 15th, 2019, 6:56 pm

4Head wrote:What would be the lower bound for the score at nationals by a Science Olympiad team that's able to have team members from any school that qualified?

Assume the stacked team obeys the 7 senior/5 ninth-grader limit, the members are just clones of the students so their respective teams don't get tanked from losing a member, and the team is just ranked without pushing other teams down, just like the way Japan's team is. Also assume that the team also can pull from as many coaches/resources it wants.
Sub 100?

Honestly it would've been pretty interesting if someone on scioly did that. We did a stack like this with members from DMAH lol and we ended up getting 231 points :(

you should've given me mystery @lindsmaurer smh
HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019
2020 Sounds MIT and Princeton Champion
2020 (and probably 2021 :( ) Events: PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/PaRaSiToLoGy

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 652
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Super stacked team

Post by sciolyperson1 » June 15th, 2019, 7:32 pm

John Richardsim wrote:
4Head wrote:What would be the lower bound for the score at nationals by a Science Olympiad team that's able to have team members from any school that qualified?

Assume the stacked team obeys the 7 senior/5 ninth-grader limit, the members are just clones of the students so their respective teams don't get tanked from losing a member, and the team is just ranked without pushing other teams down, just like the way Japan's team is. Also assume that the team also can pull from as many coaches/resources it wants.
Probably like 276 points, somewhere in that area.
276 is higher than the first place team's total points, though.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
sciolyperson1's Userpage
Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

MIT:
Gravity - 1st '20

'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP
Vehicle event medalling streak - 1 :(
Rate my tests!

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 441
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ward Melville HS
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Super stacked team

Post by kate! » June 15th, 2019, 7:49 pm

ignore this post i'm stupid lol
Two years ago I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Last year I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and more experiments, yay again!
Now I know stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils, yay for the third time!

User avatar
CookiePie1
Member
Member
Posts: 372
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: Am I here? Or there? Or both...?
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Super stacked team

Post by CookiePie1 » June 15th, 2019, 8:34 pm

I mean, the absolute lower limit is 23, if everyone got 1st, but that's impossible so i'd say around 80? This is very, very theoretical, and if you got the best kids in the country, they'd probably all get 1st anyway.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

User avatar
Name
Member
Member
Posts: 402
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 4:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Syosset
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Super stacked team

Post by Name » June 15th, 2019, 9:35 pm

CookiePie1 wrote:I mean, the absolute lower limit is 23, if everyone got 1st, but that's impossible so i'd say around 80? This is very, very theoretical, and if you got the best kids in the country, they'd probably all get 1st anyway.
If u get the best for every event, they prob still wouldn't get all first.
bc like sometimes you just have a good or bad day or sometimes just a bad test can screw you over. Also it stipulated the people chosen are just a clone, so they're gonna compete with themself. Assuming they win just under half the time the scores now 35
Now also most of the time even if your the best in the event, you also need your partner(s) to perform. In this superteam you probably have good partners but probably not as good of a partner as you usually work with
Syosset HS '21
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi
Events!: Astro, Code, Fossils
Cornell/LISO/Duke/MIT/Regionals/Brown/SOUP
Astro: 2/4/2/10/2/2/3
Code: 9/1/2/1/1/1/1
Fossils: 16/13/6/9/2/3/8
1 fermi cornell, 10 orni LISO, 4 green gen regionals

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 441
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ward Melville HS
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Super stacked team

Post by kate! » June 15th, 2019, 10:44 pm

Name wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:I mean, the absolute lower limit is 23, if everyone got 1st, but that's impossible so i'd say around 80? This is very, very theoretical, and if you got the best kids in the country, they'd probably all get 1st anyway.
If u get the best for every event, they prob still wouldn't get all first.
bc like sometimes you just have a good or bad day or sometimes just a bad test can screw you over. Also it stipulated the people chosen are just a clone, so they're gonna compete with themself. Assuming they win just under half the time the scores now 35
Now also most of the time even if your the best in the event, you also need your partner(s) to perform. In this superteam you probably have good partners but probably not as good of a partner as you usually work with
No this is why I deleted my post. If you have the kids who got 1st in every event on the team you'd have more than 15 kids, right?
Two years ago I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Last year I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and more experiments, yay again!
Now I know stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils, yay for the third time!

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 652
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Super stacked team

Post by sciolyperson1 » June 16th, 2019, 8:36 am

kate! wrote:
Name wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:I mean, the absolute lower limit is 23, if everyone got 1st, but that's impossible so i'd say around 80? This is very, very theoretical, and if you got the best kids in the country, they'd probably all get 1st anyway.
If u get the best for every event, they prob still wouldn't get all first.
bc like sometimes you just have a good or bad day or sometimes just a bad test can screw you over. Also it stipulated the people chosen are just a clone, so they're gonna compete with themself. Assuming they win just under half the time the scores now 35
Now also most of the time even if your the best in the event, you also need your partner(s) to perform. In this superteam you probably have good partners but probably not as good of a partner as you usually work with
No this is why I deleted my post. If you have the kids who got 1st in every event on the team you'd have more than 15 kids, right?
Yea, and you need partners for each of them. In addition unless ur grey grey the god himself that you won't get more than like, 3 event golds

Lmao tho we should try this out, make a giant google form and have people register by saying their grade level and event placements, see how it turns out.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
sciolyperson1's Userpage
Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

MIT:
Gravity - 1st '20

'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP
Vehicle event medalling streak - 1 :(
Rate my tests!

User avatar
builderguy135
Member
Member
Posts: 658
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Super stacked team

Post by builderguy135 » June 16th, 2019, 9:03 am

sciolyperson1 wrote:
kate! wrote:
Name wrote:
If u get the best for every event, they prob still wouldn't get all first.
bc like sometimes you just have a good or bad day or sometimes just a bad test can screw you over. Also it stipulated the people chosen are just a clone, so they're gonna compete with themself. Assuming they win just under half the time the scores now 35
Now also most of the time even if your the best in the event, you also need your partner(s) to perform. In this superteam you probably have good partners but probably not as good of a partner as you usually work with
No this is why I deleted my post. If you have the kids who got 1st in every event on the team you'd have more than 15 kids, right?
Yea, and you need partners for each of them. In addition unless ur grey grey the god himself that you won't get more than like, 3 event golds

Lmao tho we should try this out, make a giant google form and have people register by saying their grade level and event placements, see how it turns out.
This was basically scioly fantasy, right?

for b scioly fantasy:

10th, 2nd, 4th, 2nd, 32nd, 4th, 23rd, 4th, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 9th, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 23rd, 3rd, 17th, 18th, 3rd, 12th, 17th, 3rd
1st: 2
2nd: 3
3rd: 5
4th: 3
5th: 1
6th: 0
7-10th: 2
11-20th: 4
21-60th: 3
sum: 201 (3rd, yikes)

our dmah team lol:

25 4 13 3 11 37 8 5 2 12 5 2 1 16 3 17 5 14 1 2 12 2 23
1st: 2
2nd: 4
3rd: 2
4th: 1
5th: 3
6th: 0
7-10th: 1
11-20th: 7
21-60th: 3
sum: 223 (not 231 as i said before, oops)
HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019
2020 Sounds MIT and Princeton Champion
2020 (and probably 2021 :( ) Events: PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/PaRaSiToLoGy

Post Reply

Return to “2019 Nationals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest