Test writing

Alumni make some of the best volunteers!
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Test writing

Postby Unome » September 20th, 2019, 5:40 am

Wow Im starting to think Im just slow. Most tests take me 30-40 hours. The nationals circuit lab test I wrote was somewhere in the range of 60-80 since it was my first time writing for circuit lab and I spent a good 10-15 hours on formatting alone.
Ay 30-40 hours for one test... yeah I'm thinking that's on the slow side. I probably spent about 30-40 hours on Geomaps MIT last year, about 5-15 on a typical test.
Darn, I wish I could write a test in 5-15 hours... How long does it take you if you don't know the rules for an event before writing a test?
If I don't know the rules, probably closer to 20 hours. (I only did that once, and had to push through it in a week, so I'm not certain)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

CPScienceDude
Division: C
State: IN

Postby CPScienceDude » October 27th, 2019, 4:25 pm

So I'm writing a road scholar test for an upcoming invitational, and I need some advice. For reference, there are 13 teams. What should I do about the maps? Run it in stations so I need less of each map? Or should I put the maps in the test? I don't like the second option because the map is usually very difficult to read and it doesn't really prepare participants for higher competitions. Thanks for any advice, though.
CPHS 23'
2020 events: Ornithology, Machines, Gravity Vehicle, and Forensics

Northridge/Regs/State
4n6: 10/x/x
GV: 1/x/x
Mach: 4/x/x
Orni: 4/x/x

Member of the Builder Cult
Assassination 139: Summer Vacation
About me! https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:CPScienceDude

svph300
State: FL

Postby svph300 » November 2nd, 2019, 3:00 pm

So I'm writing a road scholar test for an upcoming invitational, and I need some advice. For reference, there are 13 teams. What should I do about the maps? Run it in stations so I need less of each map? Or should I put the maps in the test? I don't like the second option because the map is usually very difficult to read and it doesn't really prepare participants for higher competitions. Thanks for any advice, though.
In this scenario, I think a stations format would be more useful. You can set up stations, then full-scale the map. By doing so, you would have less paper to print, focus on the answer sheet during grading, and better maps for the competitors since they can see better. Just make sure to let the competitors know to not write on the stations themselves. To avoid this issue, you can laminate the maps, put it in a sheet protector if the maps are on 8.5" x 11" paper, or even deduct points if you catch the competitors writing on the stations.
Boca Raton Community High School 2019
University of Florida Honors Program 2023
Email: velasco.scienceolympiad@gmail.com

svph300's Userpage

sciolyperson1
State: NJ

Postby sciolyperson1 » November 7th, 2019, 1:40 pm

You could potentially use map scans, just take screenshots of specific parts of the topo map (usgs map pdfs can be found).
WW-P HSN '22

Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP
Vehicle event medalling streak - 15
Rate my tests!

sciolyrules107
State: PA

Postby sciolyrules107 » November 28th, 2019, 12:42 pm

If I'm writing fossils, I generally take forever because I'll be combing our fossil collection for unique/interesting specimens to write questions on.

Otherwise, 10-15 hours for a decent test is pretty standard. For higher-tier invites/competitions, I will generally take more time to double check the key and questions.
Wow Im starting to think Im just slow. Most tests take me 30-40 hours. The nationals circuit lab test I wrote was somewhere in the range of 60-80 since it was my first time writing for circuit lab and I spent a good 10-15 hours on formatting alone.
30-40 hours?!!!!! I need to write a fossils test by December 1st. Better get started soon...
Any tips?
"my brain is fossilized"

windu34
State: FL

Postby windu34 » November 29th, 2019, 6:18 pm

If I'm writing fossils, I generally take forever because I'll be combing our fossil collection for unique/interesting specimens to write questions on.

Otherwise, 10-15 hours for a decent test is pretty standard. For higher-tier invites/competitions, I will generally take more time to double check the key and questions.
30-40 hours?!!!!! I need to write a fossils test by December 1st. Better get started soon...
Any tips?
Find a test that you admire for its style and emulate the formatting. This will save alot of time playing with different styles
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

Things2do
State: TN

Postby Things2do » December 3rd, 2019, 5:53 pm

About how long should a Division B Circuit Lab test be? It would be with the minimal hands-on activities to meet the rules, and it's for a pretty easy invitational.
John 5:46-47
When your signature exceeds the allotted 300 characters, you put it here...
Is this where I put the Builder Cult?
"I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all." - Stephen King

Return to “Alumni”