Opportunities

Alumni make some of the best volunteers!
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Opportunities

Post by BennyTheJett »

As I move in to college and some tournaments move off being online, how does one go about applying to supervise and write for events in person? I'm curious as I've never actually done it.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Re: Opportunities

Post by lumosityfan »

Honestly there's not much of a difference in terms of applying to supervise online and in-person. You can email the tournament director and see if they need help with a particular event or fill out a form if a tournament releases one.
These users thanked the author lumosityfan for the post:
Unome (February 24th, 2021, 4:11 pm)
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Concur with the above. In general (ES and otherwise) in-person tournaments will involve more logistical handling than online, but there's a greater body of "prior knowledge" so actually doing stuff is easier, even if you're innovating around that path. This applies to pretty much all aspects of tournament administration.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

BennyTheJett wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:33 am As I move in to college and some tournaments move off being online, how does one go about applying to supervise and write for events in person? I'm curious as I've never actually done it.
I've heard lots of advice along the lines of "don't commit to too much in college before you settle in and understand your workload and schedule". Your college deadline won't care that you had a test to write for SO, and SO doesn't care that you were up all night finishing some college work.

You could also get in touch with the state organization in wherever you're going to college - they could probably use extra bodies for their state tournament / regionals as well.
Giantpants
State: NY

Post by Giantpants »

knightmoves wrote: February 28th, 2021, 10:37 amI've heard lots of advice along the lines of "don't commit to too much in college before you settle in and understand your workload and schedule". Your college deadline won't care that you had a test to write for SO, and SO doesn't care that you were up all night finishing some college work.
As much as I hate to admit it, this is incredibly true. I mean, just look at the time I'm writing this post at lol. I'm not saying if I didn't write tests I would be more productive and better manage my time, but I will also say that test writing plays a non-zero role in getting to this point sometimes.

That being said, I am a notoriously slow test writer, and I'm not even writing that many. I also get really distracted so... Yeah. Overcommitment is definitely something to be wary of, but I know you Benny, you'll be able to navigate that for yourself.
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

Events I'm Writing in 2023: Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals
Events I've Written in Years Past: Geologic Mapping, Remote Sensing
Giantpants's Userpage
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

lumosityfan wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:56 pm Honestly there's not much of a difference in terms of applying to supervise online and in-person. You can email the tournament director and see if they need help with a particular event or fill out a form if a tournament releases one.
I think one related point of contact I've noticed is you can also chat with other grads or alumni particularly in your state. They might already be in contact with people, want a co-ES, or can get a line to a tournament director more easily (and for some, less intimidating / awkward to have help). I'd definitely start by emailing the tournament director (that's why they exist), but sometimes they're busy and don't reply for one reason or another, just giving an alternative.

Also, rereading the original question, writing events (as in tests) for in-person is pretty much the same. The only difference is labs or hands-on activities (e.g. stations, computer use) that usually has a lot of red tape and needs to be discussed in advance with the director. That all gets complicated, and I've usually found it doesn't work out half the time:(. Besides that, supervising mostly just involves checking around the room for questions / cheating, writing time/reminders on the board, kicking out parents:P. I wouldn't worry about the actual supervising part until you have to do it, but can always ask me or someone else who's done it before (or get a co-ES who has).
Last edited by syo_astro on March 1st, 2021, 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
sophisSyo
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by sophisSyo »

Giantpants wrote: March 1st, 2021, 1:57 am
knightmoves wrote: February 28th, 2021, 10:37 amI've heard lots of advice along the lines of "don't commit to too much in college before you settle in and understand your workload and schedule". Your college deadline won't care that you had a test to write for SO, and SO doesn't care that you were up all night finishing some college work.
As much as I hate to admit it, this is incredibly true. I mean, just look at the time I'm writing this post at lol. I'm not saying if I didn't write tests I would be more productive and better manage my time, but I will also say that test writing plays a non-zero role in getting to this point sometimes.

That being said, I am a notoriously slow test writer, and I'm not even writing that many. I also get really distracted so... Yeah. Overcommitment is definitely something to be wary of, but I know you Benny, you'll be able to navigate that for yourself.
Omg on this note...you know this already Benny but if anyone's like me or giantpants and has trouble saying no to requests...just do it if you have to (plus both of us are slow test writers! haha). Everyone who is volunteering is agreeing to volunteer, so it's all good if you don't have the time to properly help out with something. Better to acknowledge that than to struggle and dip last second or something. Also it's hard to anticipate what your workload and life will be like at college aha aha i'm not speaking from personal experience at all:')
These users thanked the author sophisSyo for the post (total 2):
Giantpants (March 1st, 2021, 3:09 pm) • sneepity (March 2nd, 2021, 4:24 am)
Past Events: A&P, DD, DG, Exp, Herpe, IS, Orni, PM, WIDI etc.
Former Syosset President/Captain
UVA Student

Ornithology<3
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Oh, as I am messing with stuff, I also came upon https://www.soinc.org/officials/event-supervisors again. I'm not sure if we have a wiki page on it as well? I think we might for some events. Astro at least has had multiple webinars on this;D. Admittedly, the rarer but tougher parts of the job I'm unsure how to prepare for (such as arbitration, emergencies, etc...usually in those cases I've learned it's just important to have a tourny director or two's contact info. on hand, and usually they have everybody else's contact worst case...).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

syo_astro wrote: March 4th, 2021, 1:18 pm Oh, as I am messing with stuff, I also came upon https://www.soinc.org/officials/event-supervisors again. I'm not sure if we have a wiki page on it as well? I think we might for some events. Astro at least has had multiple webinars on this;D. Admittedly, the rarer but tougher parts of the job I'm unsure how to prepare for (such as arbitration, emergencies, etc...usually in those cases I've learned it's just important to have a tourny director or two's contact info. on hand, and usually they have everybody else's contact worst case...).
I definitely think it would be nice to have a wiki page about it. Event supervisor info on the wiki was one of my long term goals that I never really got around to...
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Unome wrote: March 5th, 2021, 4:26 pm
syo_astro wrote: March 4th, 2021, 1:18 pm Oh, as I am messing with stuff, I also came upon https://www.soinc.org/officials/event-supervisors again. I'm not sure if we have a wiki page on it as well? I think we might for some events. Astro at least has had multiple webinars on this;D. Admittedly, the rarer but tougher parts of the job I'm unsure how to prepare for (such as arbitration, emergencies, etc...usually in those cases I've learned it's just important to have a tourny director or two's contact info. on hand, and usually they have everybody else's contact worst case...).
I definitely think it would be nice to have a wiki page about it. Event supervisor info on the wiki was one of my long term goals that I never really got around to...
Sounds like a fun project for me this summer 8-)
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.

Return to “Alumni”