Columbia University Science Olympiad has begun!

Alumni make some of the best volunteers!
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Columbia University Science Olympiad has begun!

Post by lumosityfan »

Hi SciOlyers,

Even though this is in the very very beginning stages of planning (heck, we need to have our first exec meeting next week!), I am pleased to report that Columbia University Science Olympiad is officially a thing! Thanks to help from my friends at Princeton (once again, thanks for letting me help :D )and experiencing an actual invitational, I learned enough from their experiences and my experiences with helping run other clubs has given me the confidence to know that I'll at least be able to handle working on such a noble endeavour (with the help of others, of course). Just wanted to let you guys know!

Lumosityfan
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
Adi1008
State: CA

Re: Columbia University Science Olympiad has begun!

Post by Adi1008 »

lumosityfan wrote:Hi SciOlyers,

Even though this is in the very very beginning stages of planning (heck, we need to have our first exec meeting next week!), I am pleased to report that Columbia University Science Olympiad is officially a thing! Thanks to help from my friends at Princeton (once again, thanks for letting me help :D )and experiencing an actual invitational, I learned enough from their experiences and my experiences with helping run other clubs has given me the confidence to know that I'll at least be able to handle working on such a noble endeavour (with the help of others, of course). Just wanted to let you guys know!

Lumosityfan
That's really, really awesome :) Glad to see so many invitationals run by universities popping up
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Piggy
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Piggy »

This is fantastic! I know it's still really early but any news on what date it will be around? Just wondering because of overlap with other competitions.
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by lumosityfan »

Piggy wrote:This is fantastic! I know it's still really early but any news on what date it will be around? Just wondering because of overlap with other competitions.
We're still deciding that. That'll definitely be one of the first things we talk about because I know what an issue dates can be (that actually was an issue with another competition that I had the same day as Princeton, making me think a lot).
kenniky
State: MA

Post by kenniky »

Will this be happening this year or next year?
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by lumosityfan »

kenniky wrote:Will this be happening this year or next year?
Definitely next year. There's no way I would be able to handle the room reservations for this year. Plus, we would be hitting the point when finals come, and, well, I don't think event supervisors at Columbia would want to work much on this for this year.
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by lumosityfan »

So we're starting the planning process for this competition but I wanted to hear your input. Since the NE tournaments have a slew of tournaments in January and February and March is NJ States and early January is NJ Regions, I was wondering whether holding this tournament in mid-November is a good idea. Thanks for all the feedback!
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

lumosityfan wrote:So we're starting the planning process for this competition but I wanted to hear your input. Since the NE tournaments have a slew of tournaments in January and February and March is NJ States and early January is NJ Regions, I was wondering whether holding this tournament in mid-November is a good idea. Thanks for all the feedback!
Personally, I would not prefer it to be in November. Many teams haven't even selected their team(s) before December. A neat idea might be to hold it either very early January for those teams who wish to get practice before the major invites, like MIT. Alternatively, a cool idea would be to hold it in later February or even early March for teams would wish to practice before their regional or state tournaments.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

I'd recommend a December date if you can get people available without conflicting with college finals. November is a bit early, especially considering the usual dates in the area (seeing how hard it is to change people's attitudes about the "normal" time for tournaments and all). I assume the first week of January would make it rather unlikely for less competitive teams to attend, since NJ regionals are right around that time (plus the Westlake conflict would mean you're unlikely to get anyone from the Midwest). Assuming Cornell changes their date from this year, I'd say December 2nd is a pretty good date, since there aren't any other major invitationals on that date nearby (besides Boyceville, but really no one from MN-WI was going to come anyway). If you can get ahold of a good February date, that might also been a good option; I'm not too familiar with what's in the area in February with so many new tournaments popping up.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by lumosityfan »

Yeah I'm thinking so far either November 18th, January 27th, or February 24th as the three possible dates. Problem is November's too early, January's conflicting with Wright State and is a week before NYC regionals, and February 24th clashes with North Pocono and is a week before the PA regionals start. That seems interesting if Cornell changes the date, and if I do, that'll definitely be the first date on our radar.

Return to “Alumni”