State Alumni Networks

Alumni make some of the best volunteers!
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

State Alumni Networks

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

We're getting into the thick of competition season, so I wanted to bring up a potential discussion point.

As many of you may know, there is a national Science Olympiad Alumni Network with the intention of connecting alumni, coaches, volunteers, and others involved with Science Olympiad. However, I think the concept of an "alumni network" could also have a major impact on the state level, as keeping alumni involved could solve many issues that get brought up here; inexperienced/unprepared supervisors, events getting dropped form tournaments, disconnects between state boards and competitors, etc. Having alumni that are engaged in active communication with state organizations could really solve some problems.

However, there are still problems with this concept. After helping with the creation of an alumni page for Pennsylvania (if you throw a like our way I will love you forever) I've found that it's a little hard to actually reach alumni to sign up in the first place, which is kind of important to the whole concept. Secondly, I am not sure how exactly such a network should be set up; the public page is one thing, but the network itself where alumni and board members are communicating is different. My idea of what should be in the application could be different from other alumni, which could be different for board members, and then the subsequent content and frequency of communications is up for similar debate.

So, as I typically do when I have wild idea in my head and I'm not sure where exactly to go, I open it up to all of you. What do you think a state-level alumni organization should look like? Even if you're not an alumnus (which is most of you), what do you think would make such an organization most helpful to Science Olympiad in your state? And, what would be the best ways to reach you and/or your teammates when you do become alumni?

Thanks! (and remember, additional likes are welcome) ;)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA
Has thanked: 0

Re: State Alumni Networks

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

First of all, this is a really cool concept and I would totally be up for starting this for Massachusetts. (Which actually gets me thinking- although I competed in Missouri, I know live and go to school in MA, and I feel like it would make more sense to be part of MA alumni even though I've never competed in an MA tournament.)

Second, more relevant to your question I think the alumni network could work partly as a social media page for the state's SO program, as the national one is and it seems like your page is (I gave a like!). Also as you mentioned it would be a good way to scout out for event volunteers. As for getting new alumni involved, this could be done by sending out a message on the email list for teams in the state (if one exists) inviting seniors to sign up for updates.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

Return to “Alumni”