Page 1 of 1

Finding Local Regionals Tournaments

Posted: January 25th, 2018, 11:54 am
by primitivepolonium
Hey there,

I'm a Div D who would like to help out more with the official tournaments of SciOly. However, state would be too far for me to go, so I'm hoping to go to regionals instead. Does anyone know where I can find the map of SciOly regionals for Massachusetts and figure out where all the regionals are?

Thanks!

Re: Finding Local Regionals Tournaments

Posted: January 25th, 2018, 12:02 pm
by EastStroudsburg13
Massachusetts does not currently host regional tournaments, just the state tournament. There is the West Suburban Science League, if that's convenient for you at all. Otherwise I don't know of anything, unless a MA person like antoine_ego knows of any.

Re: Finding Local Regionals Tournaments

Posted: January 25th, 2018, 12:26 pm
by antoine_ego
primitive_polonium wrote:Hey there,

I'm a Div D who would like to help out more with the official tournaments of SciOly. However, state would be too far for me to go, so I'm hoping to go to regionals instead. Does anyone know where I can find the map of SciOly regionals for Massachusetts and figure out where all the regionals are?

Thanks!
As East said, MA has no regionals unfortunately. If states (in Framingham) is too far for you, I'm guessing you're somewhere in Western Mass. Unfortunately, there aren't really any competitions in that area :cry: . Here's a list of potential competitions, though they might be a little far:

Yale University (1/27)
Harvard University (1/28)
Capital Regional, NY, closest regional tournament to MA (2/3)
Brown University (2/3)
MA States Division B, Worcester MA, (sometime in March, my guess the 10th)
MA States Division C, Framingham MA, (3/17)
CT States Division C, in Storrs, CT (4/7)
CT States Division B, in Farmington, CT (4/21)

Re: Finding Local Regionals Tournaments

Posted: January 25th, 2018, 1:36 pm
by Magikarpmaster629
primitive_polonium wrote:Hey there,

I'm a Div D who would like to help out more with the official tournaments of SciOly. However, state would be too far for me to go, so I'm hoping to go to regionals instead. Does anyone know where I can find the map of SciOly regionals for Massachusetts and figure out where all the regionals are?

Thanks!
I can see from your post history you're from MIT. You can get to the state tournament just on the T. Take the Red Line to South Station and from there the commuter rail goes to Framingham, although I would check schedules for that to see whether you can get there in time to help with the tournament. I'd guess it take around an hour or so?

Re: Finding Local Regionals Tournaments

Posted: January 25th, 2018, 2:23 pm
by kenniky
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
primitive_polonium wrote:Hey there,

I'm a Div D who would like to help out more with the official tournaments of SciOly. However, state would be too far for me to go, so I'm hoping to go to regionals instead. Does anyone know where I can find the map of SciOly regionals for Massachusetts and figure out where all the regionals are?

Thanks!
I can see from your post history you're from MIT. You can get to the state tournament just on the T. Take the Red Line to South Station and from there the commuter rail goes to Framingham, although I would check schedules for that to see whether you can get there in time to help with the tournament. I'd guess it take around an hour or so?
Alternatively, some of the state tournament events are being run by MIT students; you can check the event supervisor list here (warning: .doc download) and find the people in question, and get a ride

Re: Finding Local Regionals Tournaments

Posted: January 25th, 2018, 2:39 pm
by primitivepolonium
antoine_ego wrote: As East said, MA has no regionals unfortunately. If states (in Framingham) is too far for you, I'm guessing you're somewhere in Western Mass. Unfortunately, there aren't really any competitions in that area :cry: . Here's a list of potential competitions, though they might be a little far:

Yale University (1/27)
Harvard University (1/28)
Capital Regional, NY, closest regional tournament to MA (2/3)
Brown University (2/3)
MA States Division B, Worcester MA, (sometime in March, my guess the 10th)
MA States Division C, Framingham MA, (3/17)
CT States Division C, in Storrs, CT (4/7)
CT States Division B, in Farmington, CT (4/21)
Thanks for the list! I helped out at MIT and am planning to help out with Harvard. Maybe div B state will be close(r).

Wow I never knew MA didn't have regionals. But that would explain why I don't find any info on it. :p
magikarpmaster629 wrote: I can see from your post history you're from MIT. You can get to the state tournament just on the T. Take the Red Line to South Station and from there the commuter rail goes to Framingham, although I would check schedules for that to see whether you can get there in time to help with the tournament. I'd guess it take around an hour or so?
Thanks! It takes 1.5 hours. I'm not sure if commuter rail costs extra; if so, it might just be more fiscally and temporally prudent to split a lyft with others.
kenniky wrote: Alternatively, some of the state tournament events are being run by MIT students; you can check the event supervisor list here (warning: .doc download) and find the people in question, and get a ride
Thanks for the list. I don't know any of them, but perhaps contacting them would be worth a shot.

Re: Finding Local Regionals Tournaments

Posted: February 13th, 2018, 6:10 pm
by primitivepolonium
Random update: I got a ride to MA States, and I'll be supervising Forensics with my friend. Yay!