Test writing

Alumni make some of the best volunteers!
IdahoSciGuy
Division: Grad
State: ID

Re: Test writing

Post by IdahoSciGuy »

Tailsfan101 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 10:41 am
IdahoSciGuy wrote: February 20th, 2020, 1:06 am Personally depends on a factor of how much time I have/What Event it's for/how many teams will be there. With full control of the format, an invitational of 7 teams will get a different style of a test than a full tournament of 60. The main reason for the difference is the ease of grading though. Our volunteers in my state are precious, so we do the best we can with them in mind, just as much as the test content. So, for that invitational, there's more likely to be short answers, but that full tournament of 60 might have fill in the blanks, multiple-choice, or a spattering of both through station formats. The end goal being that there are adequate knowledge checks going on, while simultaneously being gradable efficiently.
Are you going to be at the North JH Invitational on Saturday? If so, I'd really like to meet you!
I will indeed! I'll be running Reach for the Stars and Dynamic Planet, which were my wheelhouse when I used to compete in SciOly. I'll also be announcing the results at the end, as far as I've been made aware! I'll be easy to spot, regardless!
Actually, if you don't mind, it's just the doctor. - Doctor Who.

Board of Directors
Idaho Science Olympiad
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett »

I have a question for the alumni: Do you guys ever write a test or tests for a meet without actually going to the meet and running the event?
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Umaroth »

BennyTheJett wrote: March 18th, 2020, 6:25 pm I have a question for the alumni: Do you guys ever write a test or tests for a meet without actually going to the meet and running the event?
Not an alum, but I've done that before, and I know that's what a lot of students have done. This was mainly for Jeffrey Trail Div B Invitational, Raymond Park Div B/C Invitational, and Eagle View Div B Invitational, where pretty much every test was written by a high level student and proctored at the event by volunteers who communicated with the writers on how to run the event.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Umaroth wrote: March 18th, 2020, 6:47 pm
BennyTheJett wrote: March 18th, 2020, 6:25 pm I have a question for the alumni: Do you guys ever write a test or tests for a meet without actually going to the meet and running the event?
Not an alum, but I've done that before, and I know that's what a lot of students have done. This was mainly for Jeffrey Trail Div B Invitational, Raymond Park Div B/C Invitational, and Eagle View Div B Invitational, where pretty much every test was written by a high level student and proctored at the event by volunteers who communicated with the writers on how to run the event.
Builderguy135 and I wrote the road test for Jeffery trial (and jtok scrimmage), Raymond park, eagle view, and Rustin, and did not attend any of the competitions. If I were to attend though, I'd rather write a road test and run a build (or lmmm)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by lumosityfan »

I've done that before. I wrote the Astronomy tests for some regions and states when people requested it. While I'm certainly able and willing to do so, I prefer to be there in person just because it makes it easier to proctor my own test in terms of grading and understanding the test itself.
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

lumosityfan wrote: March 18th, 2020, 9:42 pm
I've done that before. I wrote the Astronomy tests for some regions and states when people requested it. While I'm certainly able and willing to do so, I prefer to be there in person just because it makes it easier to proctor my own test in terms of grading and understanding the test itself.
I agree from a competitor standpoint, where a great frustration is asking the proctor about what you think could be a minor error and they can only reply "I'm sorry, I didn't write this test." That being said, good test quality without the writer present is better than poor quality with the writer proctoring.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

How do you get in contact with the people in order to write the tests?
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
Giantpants
State: NY

Post by Giantpants »

BennyTheJett wrote: March 19th, 2020, 5:31 am How do you get in contact with the people in order to write the tests?
I've been wondering this too; since the area I'm going to college in has a pretty decent number of competitions (invitationals and regionals), is there a particular way to contact people letting them know I'm an SO alumni who wants to help write/run tests at their competitions?
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

Events I'm Writing in 2023: Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals
Events I've Written in Years Past: Geologic Mapping, Remote Sensing
Giantpants's Userpage
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by lumosityfan »

You usually can just email the event organizer and let them know you're interested in writing/running tests. Also, some invitationals will have a form that you can fill out.
These users thanked the author lumosityfan for the post:
BennyTheJett (March 19th, 2020, 6:43 am)
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Hey everyone,

I was thinking about writing some tests in my region, but since I need some volunteer hours for National Honors Society, if I log my hours apporpriately, do you guys think I can get volunteer hours from test writing? Thanks!
These users thanked the author MoMoney$$$;)0) for the post:
Name (April 19th, 2020, 12:26 pm)
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult

Return to “Alumni”