New Coaches

Alumni make some of the best volunteers!
TheSquaad
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

New Coaches

Post by TheSquaad »

For alumni who went on to coach teams, how did you go about contacting teams/starting to help out?
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: New Coaches

Post by pikachu4919 »

Part of it can depend on how close you are to your old team, both relationship-wise and distance-wise. Some alums that are close in both of those ways do go back to help coach their old teams (my old coach has asked me if I wanted to take up teaching in the Carmel schools district in order to help start a Div B team since they don't have Div B, and nicholasmaurer is another alum who, even tho he doesn't teach, has gone back to coach Solon's team). Outside of that, I don't really have any expertise, except theoretically I guess find out who the nearest team to you is and reach out? Altho someone like CalColin might have more direct experience with that (he coaches in the SF Bay Area).

(I've forwarded this thread to both Nick and Colin to see if they can talk about their experiences here too)
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Re: New Coaches

Post by nicholasmaurer »

TheSquaad wrote: April 8th, 2020, 7:06 pm For alumni who went on to coach teams, how did you go about contacting teams/starting to help out?
I coached events for Solon MS during my first three years of college. Then before my senior year the head coach for the Solon HS left and there was nobody willing to take the role, so my mom and I stepped in. I don't know that that really helps you much, as it was mostly just a matter of circumstance.

If you are looking for a local team to help coach, I would just contact the current coach(es) for that team and see if they are interested in help. Most will be.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Alumni”