How to become a National Event Supervisor in 7 Easy Steps

Alumni make some of the best volunteers!
DeltaHat
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to become a National Event Supervisor in 7 Easy Steps

Post by DeltaHat » July 12th, 2010, 5:23 pm

So, your last season of Science Olympiad is over and you have officially graduated high school. You have been accepted to college and have your future ahead of you. You think to yourself, "Self, I've competed in Science Olympiad since I was in middle school and loved every minute of it. I wish I could do SO forever and give back to the community that taught me so much." Well, here is how you do just that in 7easy steps.

1. Take a year off. Your freshman year of college is going to be overwhelming. The last thing you need is SO taking time away from your studying. Also, waiting a year will do wonders for your credibility. By your sophomore year of college, you will be more of an adult in the eyes of the students you will soon be judging and not a peer. Coaches will respect you more too.

2. If you're still itching to do SO after your year off, contact the state director of the state you go to school in and ask for the contact information of the regional tournament director for the region closest to you. Regional directors are ALWAYS looking for motivated, reliable help. Volunteer to help run your favorite event. Better yet, ask for the contact information for the judge of your favorite event and ask them if you can help them personally. Don't go back to the region you competed in. It's too soon. You will know people on your old team and the last thing you want is a coach claiming bias. As a judge, your actions must be above reproach.

3. After you've judged a regional tournament, judge another. If you can afford to judge in multiple regions in your state, do it. Judge regional tournaments for a few years to get the hang of things. You want all the judging experience you can get. Be involved in your state. Help out the state director and get to know the names of your state's leadership. You want them to know your name. SO is a volunteer organization at all levels, so the more you do, the more people will ask you to do and the more notoriety you will gain. The next most important person you want to meet after your state director is the state tournament director. This may be the same person.

4. Volunteer to help with your state tournament. State tournaments are a huge production involving hundreds of people. Your help will be needed. Work your contacts to try to get a position as a judge assistant. If you don't know the state event supervisor by now, get to know them now. Remember, SO is made up entirely of volunteers giving up their time for the cause. Anything you can do to save people time will greatly impress them. Dressing sharp, talking to lots of people at the tournament and getting face time with the leaders of your organization will make you lots of new friends and fast forward your SO career.

5. After a year or two of judging at the regional and state level, it's time to start looking at going to Nationals. Working with your state leadership will get you access to the national event supervisors. National event supervisors are always in need of qualified help. Don't use the national tournament web site to volunteer for the tournament. Those requests all go through a volunteer coordinator who won't know who you are and is dealing with filling hundreds of volunteer slots. Contact the national event supervisor and ask them if you can help them personally. Be sure to mention your years of experience. Offer to help them with planning. The big thing you want them to do for you is have them notify Dr. Putz and the National Tournament staff that they are bringing you as a personal volunteer. The tournament staff will be happy. this is one less volunteer slot they need to worry about. See if you can get your room comped by Soinc. They buy blocks of hotel space every year to put volunteers in.

6. Get to the national tournament on Friday for check in and stay until Sunday night or Monday morning. Meet up with your event supervisor and help them set up the event. Your event supervisor is your best guide for the first tournament. On Friday night, you really want to go to the coach's meeting. This is where the coaches grill the event supervisors for any last minute event clarifications. This is a great networking event. So is the dinner after the tournament on Saturday. If you didn't get a ticket, just go with your event supervisor. After that is the awards ceremony. Find where the event supervisors sit and hang with them. It's usually to the side of the stage. They are a fun group. Finally, make sure you bring nice clothes for the afterglow party after the awards ceremony. Don't worry about having a ticket, they never check as long as you look like you are supposed to be there. Have fun hanging with the nationals crew and be sure to get some face time with Jenny Kopach. She is on the SO executive board and very sympathetic to young members of the SO community. She can make magic happen for you and is an awesome person to boot.

7. On Sunday, go to the committee meetings. Tag along with the people you met previously and your state director. Sit in on the committee of your choice. You won't have any voting rights, but you can participate in the conversation and offer feedback. The most important person you can introduce yourself to is the committee chair. Make sure he or she has your email and puts you on the committee mailing list. Now you are in on the rule development process. Also make sure Jenny or Gerard add you to the list of people to contact every year for nationals. If all works out, you should get an invite to come to the next national tournament from soinc direct.

Congratulations you are now a national event supervisor.

P.S. Be sure to tell DarkSabre you are coming to nationals. He can help hook you up with all the event supervisors on this board.
National Event Supervisor - Mission Possible

gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: NY

Re: How to become a National Event Supervisor in 7 Easy Step

Post by gh » July 12th, 2010, 7:52 pm

Jeez DH, that there looks like a list of everything I did wrong or half-assed in the past half-year or so. ;)
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 » July 13th, 2010, 10:18 am

Hahaha.

Thanks DH for your guide and advice. I have to say it's really good and well written. I think it will come in handy for a few people.
Are you a national event supervisor? Was this your route to the position?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

DeltaHat

Post by DeltaHat » July 13th, 2010, 10:31 am

This was the path I took. I judged in Alabama, Indiana and Florida before going to Nationals. My first few national tournaments I was a ruler holder working Mission Possible. Now I am on tech committee, write events, and help run most tech events in Maryland.

GH, you were special. You channeled the power of Robot Arm.
National Event Supervisor - Mission Possible

Return to “Alumni”